You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mentoring View

Matthew Gunn 964355

Matthew Gunn 964355
Posted
Posted

It would be really handy if when mentoring enroute you can set up the sector you are watching without having to set the primary frequency (which otherwise mucks up the controller list IDs for example).

Not sure how this could be achieved...

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Hm, theoretically you could connect into the trainee's session via his proxy, which would be the perfect mentoring view. Problem in most cases will be, that if the trainee is sitting behind a router, connecting from the outside might be impossible. But I would give this a try, as it will be the best mentoring view you can get, including everything the trainee does.

Besides that, I don't think it is possible currently, because sector dependencies are calculated based on the primary frequencies, so without one, you can't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume control over a sector. Maybe some kind of override setting would be possible so simulate an active station without using a real primary frequency.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Additionally having both the student and mentor with a primary frequency can cause upset to the pilot clients. If the mentor is centred closer to pilot than the student then the pilot will be tuned to the mentor's voice room.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Matthew,

You can use the "Sector ownership setup" dialog to manually [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the sectors to yourself. In this way you will see it as your sectors without having to set up a correct callsign/primary frequency pair.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Hm, Gergely, I thought about that too, but that would only be possible if the mentor uses a station/callsign defined in the ESE, which is usally not the case.

But maybe You can add an additional station "myself" in the sector ownership setup. Until that would be implemented, a workaround might be to define mentoring stations in the ESE.

Stephan Boerner

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Stephan,

Negative. If you manually [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the sectors then your login callsign and frequency does not matter.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

And how should I do that? In the manual sector ownership dialog, I have only the positions from the ESE file in the drop down list, so I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign those sectors to any of those stations, but not to myself, if I have no primary frequency matching with that list. I don't see an option to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it to myself. Just tried it, and found no way to do that.

Stephan Boerner

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Stephan,

You are right. I do not know why it is developed in this way

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 2 months later...
Matthew Gunn 964355
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps if I set an observer position up in the ese with the default frequency that would allow me to select it in the ownership structure - i will give it a go.

I like the idea of connecting through proxy to the student but can see it might be difficult.

Related to this is that I use the logging system when mentoring to record the session for playback - however although I get transmissions on text recorded I don't get the student voice transmissions because they are not being transmitted by me! Is there a way to do this - it could be quite useful for review purposes.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Matthew,

The LOG file contains all voices that are sent or received on the primary frequency. So if you set up your voice to have the same primary frequency, then the student voice must be recorded too.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer