You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Alias and Flightplan memory

Rolf Arne Beck 979838

Rolf Arne Beck 979838
Posted
Posted

Hey, first of all thank you for a exellent piece of software.It's true that the best things in life are free

A couple of questions, first I use this line in my Alias to transmit the frase radarcontact and at what altitude the target is:

.rc Radarcontact at $calt.

But ES transmits the exact altitude in feet, like "SAS423, Radarcontact at 2321.". Is there anyway to make ES use the closest altitude inn 100ft, like 2300ft or 2400ft? I belive VRC had such a feature?

And my second question is more of a request that you consider in future releases to let ES remember how you set up each flight in terms of temp altitude, SID/STAR, scratchpad, status, etc. even though the aircraft logs off or is disconnected for a couple of minutes. It's far from a critical issue, but it helps keep the workflow going without any problems if we experience server drops.

Anyways, thank you for your help.

Rolf Arne Beck 979838
Posted
Posted

Thats exactly what I was thinking of

And just to be sure, when you say it would require a new variable, you mean a variable that's not currently in Euroscope, but would need to be added in a future release? It's nothing I can fix myself in other words

Norbert Vorstaedt 810315
Posted
Posted

Rolf,

in which situation would you use the alias anyway? To identify an aircraft on radar most of the time requires to compare the altitude that the pilot reports with the one you see on the screen. This is to make sure that the transponder and blind-altimeter are working correctly and that you indeed are looking at the correct radar target. So why read back the altitude to the pilot? You are the one who does the checking. So, the normal radio interchange goes something like:

Pilot: Quantas 357, flight level 240, climbing flight level 310

Controller (after checking that the tag really shows 240):

Quantas 357, radar contact (or identified)

But perhaps you have another situation in mind than what I just described.

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

Norbert,

the altitude is not necessary to identify the aircraft, just to make sure you can separate by the mode C indication. So it is in the interest of the pilot to check, if controller and pilot altitudes match.

In Germany, we check against the altitude reported, but other countries do it different ways. The result is the same