You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sound Card & FS2004

Mahmoud Fadli 819693

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I've tried to search around for the topic and remember reading something online, but sadly law school has taken away whatever "leisure" memory I had about the topic.

I noticed that when sound is on, FS is a bit choppy (especially on VATSIM; I use FSINN). However, when I turn sound off, it runs very smooth. My computer specs (last I recall; sorry comp's at home and I got a moment of spare time to type this post out and so I shall!) is the following:

Processor:

Computer: Sony Vaio (Desktop)

(Sorry, can't look it up); 2.5Ghz (Dual Core, however)

RAM: 2GB DDR2

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320MB)

Sound Card: Default card that came with computer; unsure of specs

I know... most likely this may not be enough information (we should expect more from a future lawyer, eh? ), but I hope someone can at least give me some general guidance with regards to this issue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Mahmoud: I've never really been a big fan of Integrated audio circuits they have a complete lack of dynamic range and driver support, and in my eyes the worst combination of hardware/software emulation. If you play a lot of games and listen to music I'd highly recommend getting an actual 24-bit sound card from Creative. You can find them for roughly $30 dollars.

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted
Mahmoud: I've never really been a big fan of Integrated audio circuits they have a complete lack of dynamic range and driver support, and in my eyes the worst combination of hardware/software emulation. If you play a lot of games and listen to music I'd highly recommend getting an actual 24-bit sound card from Creative. You can find them for roughly $30 dollars.

Thanks for the tip. Does it really help the performance of the game that much?

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Did you try to set FS sound quality to "Low". This should free some resources from the CPU and sound anyway is still good.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

If your having a major hit to your FPS when you turn on the sound then definitely its a software problem caused by poorly written drivers. Sound never takes up more than 10% of the CPU resources... and more like 5% for FS. And for me at least it makes do difference whatsoever if its on/off.