You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Computer

Michael Bonertz 966129

Michael Bonertz 966129
Posted
Posted

Hey folks,

I am looking at getting a new computer and would like some input from all the pros here on Vatsim. I know this is a common question/subject on here just was wanting to hear some of your thoughts that's all.

Thanks,

Mike

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz)

Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor 12MB L2 Cache

CPU FSB 1333MHz

Memory 8GB DDR2-800

Hard Drive 500GB SATA

Optical Drive 1 20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Optical Drive 2 16X DVD-ROM Drive

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB HDCP Ready Video Card

Audio Realtek ALC883, 8-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC

Ethernet Built-in GB Ethernet LAN

Power Supply 800W

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Special Features CPU Liquid Cooling System

Motherboard Chipset NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

Motherboard Name ASUS P5N-D Mainboard

Graphics GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Graphics Interface PCI Express x16

HD Capacity 500GB

HD Interface SATA

Optical Drive Spec 20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Optical Drive 2 Spec 16X DVD-ROM Drive

Audio Chipset Realtek ALC883

Audio Channels 8 channels

LAN Chipset Integrated

LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports

Front USB 2

Front Audio Ports 2

Back Panel Ports

COM 1

LPT 1

PS/2 2

Video Ports 2 DVI

TV Out 1 x HDTV / S-Video Out

Rear USB 4

Rear IEEE 1394 1

RJ45 1 port

Rear Audio Ports 6 ports

S/P DIF 1 x Coaxial S/PDIF out

1 x Optical S/PDIF out

Yusuf Pulatov 1054147
Posted
Posted

monster computer my friend, except i dont understand the video card..

[img]http://online.vatsimindicators.net/1054147/4730.png[/img]

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Two things strike me immediately.

The video card (either you're missing a bunch of numbers, or this is a laptop???).

And the RAM. DDR2-800 seems to me to be very slow for a 1.3t FSB. Is this the correct RAM for the board? I could be wrong though, I haven't looked at RAM in a while.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Michael: now is the absolute worst time to buy a new computer since it'll be obsolete in only a few months..

And guys: I think Nvidia ran out of nice round 4 digit numbers...

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Michael: now is the absolute worst time to buy a new computer since it'll be obsolete in only a few months..

How is that different from the last 15 years?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

How is that different from the last 15 years?

Cheers!

Luke

Actually I’ve been noticing this since I got my first computer back in the early 80’s. I’m glad just as I remain in awe for the rapid development. However, it’d never stop me from buying a computer.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Michael Bonertz 966129
Posted
Posted
Two things strike me immediately.

The video card (either you're missing a bunch of numbers, or this is a laptop???).

And the RAM. DDR2-800 seems to me to be very slow for a 1.3t FSB. Is this the correct RAM for the board? I could be wrong though, I haven't looked at RAM in a while.

Video Card is the NVIDIA 200 series gpu card they have the GTX 260 and the GTX 280 both for desktops just a different numbering sequence than the 88xx or 98xx that we are all used too. Here is their web page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

The ram is the correct ram for the board it only supports up to 800mhz for ram

I thought this is how it always is ha ha ha .... no really if you know something that the rest of us don't share the wealth man.

Thanks for all the other replies so far. Just was wondering about how well it will play the FS. That is why I opted for the bigger processor. I know FS9 will only utilize 1 core FSX can handle multiple cores but I think that this rig might even be a little on the weak side for FSX who knows. I was also looking at going with X-Plane. I have done all of my flying on FS9 and would like to upgrade I am a commercial pilot in RL so X-Plane really interests me and it supposedly utilizes multiple core processors up to 2 cores I believe and then if you record video it will use a third. I don't know this for sure but it is what I am told so if any of you guys know more about it feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Michael: Well it'll be like apples and oranges. Right now its P5 models only.. by the end of the year the P6's start rolling out... the chips probably won't be clocked any faster but they'll certainly be able to do more per cycle

Michael Bonertz 966129
Posted
Posted

ok thanks guys.