You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Piper Memorial Flying Club. Not only for Piper pilots ;)

Maksim Nemkov 907595

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted (edited)

Piper Memorial Flying Club

http://www.piperclub.net

For all those VFR enthusiasts out there, we have group VFR flights every Saturday, starting from October 25th! The main purpose of the Club is to unite the people that enjoy flying VFR and populating VFR flight among the VATSIM network. You won't be alone among all those big birds above you anymore!

All necessary information is provided for each event. We will have voice chat running over TeamSpeak, and IRC chat is available at any time.

We are not a Virtual Airline, and everybody is welcome to join any of our events! You just need to have the understanding of the VFR flight in the United States airspace.

So, the first event is planned for Saturday, October 25th, departure time is 3:00pm EST. Its a short 30-40 minutes flight from Lock Haven, PA (LHV) to Harrisburg, PA (MDT).

6.jpg

Edited by Guest

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

Any comments here? That's what we desperately need at this moment. That's 40 views of the topic already and no replies.

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

It blows? No seriously, guys, say something.

Thomas Weber
Posted
Posted

I just seen this post and I think its a great idea. I work every other Saturday so I cant make your next flight but I look forward to the next one after that.

cub_5.jpg

Ingo Harders
Posted
Posted

Mike,

Patience...good things take time. The idea is good but I would improve on some things. (that's just my opinion you understand).

1. Title: when I read that, my first thought was that this is only for Piper pilots and I was just about to move on...

2. Timing. I live on the left coast. So, Saturday mornings at 10:00 am I am out grocery shopping. You may want to tweak that

3. Be happy if you find 2 or three other flyers at first. That way the whole thing is more manageable and you can learn from the experience.

4. Marketing. Make sure you take pictures during the flight and post them in the "General Screenshot" forum, alluding to the recurring VFR event.

Over time I can see this turning into a success story. Patience and keep at it. Your idea is a good one.

Regards

N405HT

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

1. Title: when I read that, my first thought was that this is only for Piper pilots and I was just about to move on...

The title comes from the name of the airport, and i hardly think we're gonna change it .

2. Timing. I live on the left coast. So, Saturday mornings at 10:00 am I am out grocery shopping. You may want to tweak that

Yep, i guess we'll change the time of the very first flight and all the next flights too.

3. Be happy if you find 2 or three other flyers at first. That way the whole thing is more manageable and you can learn from the experience.

Sure, we're not expecting much from the very beginning.

4. Marketing. Make sure you take pictures during the flight and post them in the "General Screenshot" forum, alluding to the recurring VFR event.

We're definitely gonna do that!

Thanks!

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

I shifted the departure time for 2 hours, now its 3pm EST, how about that?

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Sounds like lots of fun Mike. In my experience it only takes a handful of people flying GA aircraft together to have a great time!

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Poplin Matthew 1078837
Posted
Posted

i will like to join along. what aircrafts is everyone flying?

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
Sounds like lots of fun Mike. In my experience it only takes a handful of people flying GA aircraft together to have a great time!

Great! Hope to see you on one of our events!

i will like to join along. what aircrafts is everyone flying?

Any small prop. C150\172\182, Piper Cub, Piper Cherokee, the Beaver, anything you like, really! We don't need all the aircrafts to stick together like a formation, and it will look cool anyway, a bunch of people flying VFR from A to B.

llennel evangelista 100068
Posted
Posted

sounds cool! i'll put that on my calendar. you guys got any site?

tnx!

llennel

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh man, you folks haven't seen the website? The link is in the very first post on the title. I'll make it more visible there

http://www.piperclub.net/

Edited by Guest

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

The link is the first bit of content on this thread Llennel.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

Good luck with the VFR flight club, it's a wonderful thing! One suggestion, if I may...your event page states a recommended altitude of 5000' MSL for this upcoming trip. A legal VFR cruising altitude would be 5500ft. 4k, 5k, 6k, etc are all IFR cruising altitudes.

Los Angeles ARTCC held some fun VFR flights, traveling from coast to coast. There were anywhere from 3-10 pilots attending them each week. I agree with Ian's comment that it's actually a lot of fun in small groups, too.

Lastly, for what it's worth, if you have more than 4 ppl on the flight, then unless _everyone_ is already _very_ familiar with standard pattern arrivals and spacing, you may consider only having 3-4 ppl in the pattern at any given time and have the remainder circle until everyone is down, then have the next 'group' enter the pattern.

I only suggest that because if you do have a great turnout, I promise you it will become a source of frustration when you're trying to land as a large group.

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
Hi Mike,

Good luck with the VFR flight club, it's a wonderful thing! One suggestion, if I may...your event page states a recommended altitude of 5000' MSL for this upcoming trip. A legal VFR cruising altitude would be 5500ft. 4k, 5k, 6k, etc are all IFR cruising altitudes.

Los Angeles ARTCC held some fun VFR flights, traveling from coast to coast. There were anywhere from 3-10 pilots attending them each week. I agree with Ian's comment that it's actually a lot of fun in small groups, too.

Lastly, for what it's worth, if you have more than 4 ppl on the flight, then unless _everyone_ is already _very_ familiar with standard pattern arrivals and spacing, you may consider only having 3-4 ppl in the pattern at any given time and have the remainder circle until everyone is down, then have the next 'group' enter the pattern.

I only suggest that because if you do have a great turnout, I promise you it will become a source of frustration when you're trying to land as a large group.

Thanks for your suggestions Keith!

About the altitude - yeah, my fault, I fixed that to 5500ft.

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

Also, what would be the right thing to do when departing from a G cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] airspace airport when there's a Center position above? To depart ourselves and report the position and intentions to the controller after the departure?

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I believe if you're referencing an airport that is untowered in real life, you'd announce your attentions on UNICOM and depart at your own discretion. Call Center for flight following after takeoff if you like.

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
I believe if you're referencing an airport that is untowered in real life, you'd announce your attentions on UNICOM and depart at your own discretion. Call Center for flight following after takeoff if you like.

Yes, on the first event we're departing from the untowered G cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] airport. Thanks!

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Mike,

Unless you're going to enter Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B, C or D airspace, I would suggest not talking to ATC at all. Flight following is not going to be of value to a series of formation flights. It will actually be a pain if you're trying to coordinate your flight with one another through an out-of-band voice channel, such as TeamSpeak.

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
Mike,

Unless you're going to enter Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B, C or D airspace, I would suggest not talking to ATC at all. Flight following is not going to be of value to a series of formation flights. It will actually be a pain if you're trying to coordinate your flight with one another through an out-of-band voice channel, such as TeamSpeak.

Ok thanks! We'll have a RogerWilco channel running.

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Mike, Has there been any consideration for using Teamspeak as your communication medium?

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
Mike, Has there been any consideration for using Teamspeak as your communication medium?

We can use TeamSpeak, no problem with that . That's why we decided to make the first event 2 weeks from the opening, so there will be time to read all your suggestions. We'll use TeamSpeak if everybody's ok with it.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

What's the time frame?

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted
What's the time frame?

Our first flight next saturday starts at 3pm Eastern Standart Time. Flight length is within 1 hour, depends on the speed of your plane.

Check our website for all the informaton:

http://www.piperclub.net/

Maksim Nemkov 907595
Posted
Posted

We really hope for some ATC in KMDT next saturday at around 3:30pm EST. Today there was Eric Faber online on TWR.