You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Anyone with 4870x2?

Matt Marciala 1049230

Matt Marciala 1049230
Posted
Posted

I have a 8800 GTX and I am now seeing that this new ATI 4870x2 is a beast and planning on buying one (after years of nvidia). However i have seen how the performance is bad (my card is better than the newest cards in fsx) due to drivers and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience. I run the game on 1920 x 1200 x 32, full AA/AF, full settings.

Thanks,

Matt.

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted
I have a 8800 GTX and I am now seeing that this new ATI 4870x2 is a beast and planning on buying one (after years of nvidia). However i have seen how the performance is bad (my card is better than the newest cards in fsx) due to drivers and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience. I run the game on 1920 x 1200 x 32, full AA/AF, full settings.

Thanks,

Matt.

I personally don't think it's worth the upgrade. The 8800GTX and the 4870 are pretty much in the same league. Yes SLi will help, but it wont give you 2x improvement. Worth 400$? You be the judge

siggy.png

Matt Marciala 1049230
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

Matt.

I personally don't think it's worth the upgrade. The 8800GTX and the 4870 are pretty much in the same legion. Yes SLi will help, but it wont give you 2x improvement. Worth 400$? You be the judge

The problem is, before my card is worth nothing, i want to upgrade. I still can't believe 2 GB of video ram and a blasting 750 Mhz GPU core and 3.6 Ghz memory speed won't make a difference. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have a Q6600 that i OC to 3.6 Ghz (i think that's pretty much the fastest CPU you can get), i have Raptor X 150 GB on RAID 0, I have 4 GB of RAM OC 1033 Mhz, 5-5-5-15, and I don't know what else to do to improve my performance so i can fly the PMDG 744X the way it was meant to be (without the 5 fps around LAX in VATSIM).

Thanks,

Matt.

Paul Meyer 810173
Posted
Posted

Did someone say having two graphics cards is going to help FSX?

Maybe you should post this in a hardware forum, where people know what they are talking about, not a Best Buy salesman.

5498.png

Matt Marciala 1049230
Posted
Posted
Did someone say having two graphics cards is going to help FSX?

Maybe you should post this in a hardware forum, where people know what they are talking about, not a Best Buy salesman.

Who said anything about 2 graphics cards sir? 4870x2 is a dual GPU card, it's pretty much like a core 2 duo except its 2 chips on 1 card not 2 cores in 1 chip. I think you confused it with SLI. I didn't know I couldn't post questions like these here, and thanks for your nice remark about bestbuy though, just what i was looking for

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Uhm SLI works for every game. In fact every GPU whether it is designed for SLI or not has PARALLEL processing. Most GPUs these days contain at least 4 cores or pipelines as they like to call them clocked at 600MHZ+ on top of that there are 128 shader cores clocked at 1.5ghz+. They all run in parallel just like they were already in SLI.... In fact sometimes the cores DON'T work and this is how you get your 8600 model out of the 8800 chip.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

One thing worthy of note, just chucking in a 4870x2 as an upgrade should be done with caution. It uses a HUGE amount of power and you may find that a PSU upgrade is required as well. Also if your m/b doesn't support Crossfire then you certainly won't be getting the best from it (the 4870x2 is Crossfire not SLI). I've got one here and it eats loads of power!

Bill Casey