You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A question about fsx with a computers computers GHz Levels.

Mina Tadros 1062251

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, a friend told me but he wasnt sure that you need a minimum of 3.2GHz on your computer specification for FSX to work well, i was wondering, do you really need a MINIMUM of 3.2GHz? i was looking at laptops and desktops on todays markets, and i cant find not one computer than comes near even 2.8GHz mark, even this crazy gaming computer by dell that costs over $3,200 and it only has 2.6GHz!

What is the GHz Minimum for FSX to work well?

What is a good GHz level on a computer for fsx to work well, when all other specs are decently good?

thnx guys

29z7vd1.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

MHz numbers of old CPUs and new CPUs are not comparable. A Pentium 4 at 3.2GHz is slower than a Core 2 Duo at 2GHz.

I've run FSX quite well on a Core 2 Duo E6600 which is 2.4GHz.

That said, as I've told you before, FSX is very resource hungry. No matter what hardware you'll throw at it, especially on the CPU side, it'll be able to use it. So you buy whatever the maximum is that you can afford.

Don't get too fixed on the MHz number. It hasn't been a good method of determining the actual speed of a CPU for many years, and that's especially true if you're getting a dual core or quad core CPU.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

I should also note that if you are looking to upgrade the CPU of your current system, forget about it. No modern CPU will fit in the socket of your current motherboard. If you want a new CPU, you need a new computer.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

yeah, i think im going to give up on my this computer, im thinking about getting a new desktop or laptop, so i want to know good specifications that i will buy a good one so that not only fsx, but the whole system will work well on it.

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, its me again

i was thinking of getting this laptop, here are some links that show specifications of it, is it any goof for fsx?

Model : NEC VERSA P8310 - 2403DR

Links:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212931;pid;5194;pt;1

http://www.nec-computers.com.au/products/product.aspx?CID=1&tab=1&cuid=1&mid=163

IS the ram, GHz, but especially the GHz any good for playing fsx with this laptop?

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Graphics Card***

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Or what about this model? NEC VERSA P9120 - 2401DR

http://www.nec-computers.com.au/products/product.aspx?CID=1&tab=1&cuid=1&mid=167

(Its the model specifications on the left)

Is this one better than the other one i gave you a link too?

same questions about it, are the GHz any good? is this graphics card good for fsx? A 4GB RAM, thts gotta be good..

well, i hope so..

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

sorry its the model specifications on the right, my bad..

29z7vd1.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Everyone say it together with me.

Laptops do not make good gaming machines.

You pay way too much for way too little performance, and you'll have a very hard time upgrading it in pieces later to keep up with technology. Then, you have to replace the battery on it once a year, at $60 or more dollars in order to be able to even use it unplugged. Meanwhile, it heats up like it's on fire whenever you're running it hard (like playing FS).

Unless you have a paying job that requires you to be mobile with your computer, you'll be able to afford more hardware and upgrade much cheaper later with a desktop.