You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

This Desktop For fsx, is it any good?

Mina Tadros 1062251

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Is a Dedicated 512MB DDR2 Graphics card good for playing fsx on?

i was thinknig of buying the NEC POWERMATE X8820, please chek out the specifications, and tell me, are these specs any good for fsx?

(Its the specifications on the right)

http://www.nec-computers.com.au/products/product.aspx?CID=1&tab=1&cuid=1&mid=186

Thanks Guys

29z7vd1.jpg

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Hey Mina,

I have always found that packaged computers are incredibly overpriced, what you are paying for is the name, the warranty and the fact that somebody else builds the computer for you.

If you have the know how, i would suggest building a computer yourself. It will be cheaper and generally better then any package computer you can buy.

Just my $0.02 , I'm sure a lot of people would agree.

Kind Regards

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

No, dont worry about the price, im getting it heavily discounted (around $700-$1000 off) as my mum works for nec themselves, i am planning to get a dekstop or laptop, but it must be from NEC. unfortuantly, i dont have the know how on how to build my own computer.. , but all i want to know if is if this desktop model will this run well with fsx? will it be good enough for highest options in fsx?

Thanks guys

29z7vd1.jpg

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Well an 8600GT will not run FS-X on max settings, you really want is 4gig of ram+ and a late 8 series or one of the new 9 series. Does NEC do custom parts (where you pay extra for the parts you want?)

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

no, i they dont do custom parts. but will this computer be good enough to even play fsx without any lag?

and what do you eman by the 8 or 9 series?

29z7vd1.jpg

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted

Sorry I'm talking about an 8800GTX or a 9800GX2 for example.

It will run it sure, but dont be expecting to get maxed graphics, specially when you then factor in add-ons

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

hmm.. well do you think i should just wait till nec release a better dekstop? or should i just go ahead and buy this one?.

and also, is 3G ram that bad?, its still pretty good i guess..

29z7vd1.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted

3GB RAM is fine. Unless you're going to run a 64 bit OS there's very little point in having more.

Creator of VATSIM Monitor, a sidebar gadget for Windows Vista.

7996.png

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

64 bit OS ?

sorry for the stupid questions haha, im still new to the actualy softwares of computers, all im good at is playing on them

29z7vd1.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted
64 bit OS ?

Suffice it to say that if you don't know what it is, you're better off not using it.

Technical: a 32 bit CPU can address only 4GB of physical RAM, of which a portion is reserved for hardware DMA. To get around this limitation, CPUs have moved to 64 bit addressing which can address a theoretical maximum of 16 billion gigabyte. The current generation of CPUs are all support 64 bit, but in order to use it you also need an operating system that can handle the 64 bit addressing. There are special versions of Windows that can do this, but 99.9999% of consumers don't use these. Not yet, at least; in a few years I expect 64 bit to become common even on the desktop.

7996.png

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

How many bits is the one im looking at, 64, or 32? i dont know wher it says it on the specifications..

29z7vd1.jpg

Sven Groot 1044304
Posted
Posted
How many bits is the one im looking at, 64, or 32? i dont know wher it says it on the specifications..

All PCs sold today have 64 bit CPUs, that one is no exception. The question is whether or not to run a 64 bit OS. That machine does not come with a 64 bit OS included; no pre-made consumer system does.

Considering the hardware and software compatibility issues that still exist with 64 bit versions of Windows, I would not recommend using it unless you know exactly what you're doing. And if you don't mind me saying, it doesn't sound like you do.

Don't worry about it. If you don't know what it is, then you don't need it.

7996.png

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

lol, yeh your right, i really do have no clue what that means.. lol, i just want a computer that will run fsx well.

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

hmm.. this isnt a dektop, but i did find a laptop, heres its specs...

intel core 2 duo preocessor p8400 2.26GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB RAM4GB(2 times 2GB)

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (Dedicated 512MB GDDR2 VRAM support Turbo cache technology

320G HDD5300RPM

will this laptop run fsx well, or are laptops bad because they overheat. if i use this one, i dont plan to take it out much, and will usually run it while charger pluged in

any good? or is the dektop better?

29z7vd1.jpg

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

is the 9600GT graphics card byt NVIDIA better than the 8600M GT??

29z7vd1.jpg

Rodney Aylmore 944715
Posted
Posted
is the 9600GT graphics card byt NVIDIA better than the 8600M GT??

in simple terms, yes.

Mina Tadros 1062251
Posted
Posted

Okay guys, after asking kind people several questions about computers, i cant make up my mind on which computer i wanna buy to run fsx on, PLEASE HELP ME!

(Heres my Choices)

A)

(Laptop) NEC VERSA P9120 - 2401DR

Intel Core Duo Processor T770 (2.4GHz 800MHz FSB) , RAM 4GB (2 times2GB) DDR2 667MHz

, HDD 250GB SATA 5400RPM , NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Dedicated 512MB support Turbo Cache Technology) with Max memory up to 2.3GB.

B)

(Laptop) NEC VERSAP9210 - 2203DR

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB) , RAM4GB (2 times2GB) DDR2 800MHz , 320GB HDD SATA 5400RPM , NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (Dedicated 512MB GDDR2 VRAM support Turbo cache technology)

C)

(Desktop) NEC POWERMATE X8620

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300 (2.50GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) , RAM3GB DDR2 667MHz (1GB times 3) , 500GB HDD SATA 7200RPM , NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600GT

Theres the three options, pelase reply by stating A,B or C , followed by a few sentences of why you have chosen that model and why you havent chosen any of the other models.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH GUYS!!!

29z7vd1.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

C.

I don't like to support laptops for gaming machines.