You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can't run any programs..need help

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I don't know what actually happened here but I'm having a problem with my PC, whenever I click a program I always get the box "Open with" with a list of choices just like the normal one, but this is really really unusual right? Yes because it includes all the programs, i.e MSN, Internet Explorer, YIM, Skype, Mozilla and even FS. It just so happen I was able to run Mozilla by right clicking on it and select Run as.

I need all your ideas about this guys, thanks in advance!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Joseph Jaster 932528
Posted
Posted

Hi Romano;

Sounds to me like Windows isn't treating .exe files as executables anymore; have you tried restarting the system, and letting it rest for 10 minutes?

What did you select Mozilla to run as? Administrator? Another account?

Did you install any programs or visit any new websites right before this started happening?

What programs are active in the Taskmanager? (CTRL+ALT+DELETE, applications and processes tabs)

Check to see if FS9.exe is still in your FS9 folder, and try running it from there.

A little more info could help, such as operating system, and anything recently you've done that could change system settings.

4422.png

I1 - CZVR

Help controllers maintain their sanity; file a correct equipment code http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Last I did was to empty the recycle bin and went for a complete system scan, I don't have fs9 here it's in my other computer and I used the Current user and unchecked the line that says protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity and it works well, but until now I can still can't run programs without using Run as (I don't know how to disable this run as because whenever I click a program it automatically opens the run as box).

I think this machine has been infected with a bunch of virus.

PC specs:

Intel®, Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz ., 2.42GHz, 512 MB of RAM.

Romano Lara

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

The box "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity " is checked in my Windows XP SP2.

I think the issue may be some properties/corruption in the current user you use. Try login as administrator or create a new user.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
The box "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity " is checked in my Windows XP SP2.

I think the issue may be some properties/corruption in the current user you use. Try login as administrator or create a new user.

But still I won't be able to use the programs in the previous user, what are the things that I should do to get rid of getting the run as box? Re-format?

Romano Lara