You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSS position always has 1500 nm visual range

Nikita Kapko 1015297

Nikita Kapko 1015297
Posted
Posted

Hello to all!

I have a new rating and a new problem - when I connected to FSS position, the changing of my visual range dont change anything: it is always 1500 nm visual range. I dont have a fully functioning sector file - only .sct part with routes. This is ES problem or I making something wrong?

vaccua_baner.jpg

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted

No - FSS are hardcoded at 1500nm in all clients - this was a work around for the large areas that they normally cover - The North atlantic for example - before multiple visibility centers were introduced.

Nikita Kapko 1015297
Posted
Posted

But I dont need such bid visual range! And for the network will be good if I reduce to minimum my range. And I can not do this in ES or any other client?

vaccua_baner.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Niko,

You are free to change the visibility range when you are online as FSS. Just use the slider as normal. The only thing is that when your facility is FSS then you can move it up to 1500 NM.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Nikita Kapko 1015297
Posted
Posted

Gergely, this is my problem - when I use slider nothing changes, my range is stable - 1500 nm. Nobody have the same problem?

vaccua_baner.jpg

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted
Gergely, this is my problem - when I use slider nothing changes, my range is stable - 1500 nm. Nobody have the same problem?

Yes - When on EuroWest or Shanwick with a range of 5nm and a vis center in the middle of the Atlantic I can still "see" most of Europe.

Gergely - Could it be that VATSIM sends the full 1500nm data to the client irrespective of vis range??

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Actually Martin, I find that with VRC I can see 1500nm from the end of my vis point. For example if my vis range was 600, I can see to the end of that + 1500nm with FSS. I set my vis range when on Shanwick to 90 + 1500nm which takes me to the end of the UK and Moncton. Whether this behaviour is the same in EuroScope I don't know.

vatme-sig.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

To be honest I only know that I am sending the range data that you specify by the slider. I never noticed that the servers extend this range. But if they do so, then it is out of the scope of the client.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 2 years later...
Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

The visibility range is not exactly stopping at the range, that is correct. But it's not fixed at 1500, and it's also not just 1500 added, it's much less. So apart from the fact that the current way to determin the visibility of stations could definitely be solved better, there is no really big issue as far as I know. The one thing that is fixed for FSS is the radio range.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

• 2 weeks later...
Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

On the EuroControl forums it was said that the BoG was aware of a server issue not taking the visual range set in the controller client. They promised to work on it - I guess ES is not the problem here.

On EuroControl _FSS-sectors, we use remote visibility centers to reduce the traffic seen. If we don't, disconnects occure and it is practicably impossible to control.

But as I said, the problem is probably in the servers. Maybe the issue could be raised again to people in charge?