You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Which version of FS should I get?

Gray Malkin 1057648

Gray Malkin 1057648
Posted
Posted

I have a laptop and want to know if an older vesion of FS will run better than FSX.

My setup:

• Dual core 1.73GHz Intel Pentium Processor
    2GB Ram
    SATA Hard Drive (It may hold some relevance?!)
    256MB Graphics card

At the highest quality FSX gives me 1.2fps

I apriciate your help

Regards,

Gray Malkin

3712.png

Alex Vainer 929287
Posted
Posted

I have slightly higher equipment than that, 1.8ghz processor, 512 mb vid car, and about 3 gigs of RAM. FS2004 I get about 40 locked not online, and about 30-40 online. Textures load kind of slow, ONLY in high traffic areas.

I like the setup.

Alex "AV" Vainer C1

Los Angeles ARTCC

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Definitely FS9.. you should get at least 20 fps locked...

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I'd third the suggestion for trying FS9.

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

Your laptop certainly won't be able to handle FSX very well. FS9 should do fine.

Joshua Black

Michael Pare 925029
Posted
Posted

Stick with FS9 until you can get a serious machine as FSX is very demanding. I fly FS9 on a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a 1.8 gig processor and mine runs pretty well.

pmdg_trijet.jpg

8396.png

Gray Malkin 1057648
Posted
Posted

Now you see I have FSX, and am quite dissapointed I didn't get FS2004 instead. Thanks anyway guys, I'll have to spend some more money![/i]

Also, will it run on Vista?

3712.png

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

OUCH! That happens when you ignore the advice people give

FS9 Runs on VISTA. Good Luck.

• 4 months later...
Gray Malkin 1057648
Posted
Posted

Ahhh ahh ahh... Now I had FSX before I posted this thread, I wondered if I should downgrade, and I think perhaps I should

3712.png

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Ahhh ahh ahh... Now I had FSX before I posted this thread, I wondered if I should downgrade, and I think perhaps I should

Hi, Gary. If you’re concerned about spending them money to downgrade, maybe you should consider looking at some of the FSX forums for suggestions on how to get the best out of what you have. We don’t have a forum specifically for FSX on VATSIM. It’s kind of hard to discuss FSX without the FS9 enthusiast bashing it. Looking at your specs, you can get substantially better performance than what you’ve indicated. Did you install the service packs? My performance more than doubled from the FSX stock to SP2.

Turn most of your sliders far to the left. Then pick various components to increase based on some of your visual preference.

Because a forum like avsim.com has both an FS9 and an FSX forum, most of the FS9 users share their experience in the FS9 forum. Your FSX [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance will be more likely to come from FSX users.

I understand that your question was to both FS9 and FSX users, in this thread. But again, I don’t want to debate which is better, but to tell you that I have good experience with FSX, and you might consider spending some time optimizing what you have.

Many FS9 users would probably tell you to ditch FSX even if you had a computer with the power of a CRAY.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

Many FS9 users would probably tell you to ditch FSX even if you had a computer with the power of a CRAY.

No,I'd tell him I like FS9 best but that it really comes down to what he likes.

That definately is not something I decide.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Gray Malkin 1057648
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys, as it turns out I have 386 MB graphic, yay a whole 128 MB, and I have tweaked FSX to death, so I think i may get away with my sins I have the service packs and use normal FSX planes as I have heard that some of them are comebersome :/ Thanks again, and stop bashing FSX, its good (I think)

Perhaps I should just get X-Plane

3712.png