You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Project Eastern Wind

Jewon Lee 909227

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

All right, I just want to lay out a large frame for the further discussion.

Even though we Asian VATSIM countries mainly VATKOR, VATROC, VATJPN have significant numbers of traffic available to be airborne, we unfortunately have not had any unique event held open to the world of VATSIM users. Yes, we had one VHHH-RKSI event few months ago but that was originally planned by the western nation country's airline... not a country or division...

SB 3.0.3 is working fabulous for more and better connectivity to the VATSIM server and every minute and second, more new users are coming in to experience the world of aviation. Therefore, I think it is great idea that we invite these VATSIM pilots in an official and professional manner to host a Region-wide (FAR EAST or... the entire Asia) event.

Some major preps need to be done, I believe we would need 1) a full set of controllers who can staff their countries major airports at that time (minimally center and approach control) 2) all IAP should be docomeented in graphic or PDF format and be available to the incoming and outgoing pilots, 3) preferrable routes between countries shall be established.

I hardly doubt that there will be a country participating besides VATKOR, VATROC, and VATJPN. HOWEVER, that does not mean that you cannot participate in the event. If you are from one of many Asian countries and are able to fulfil the need above, i don't see any problem.

All VATASIA staff members, what do you think?

Jewon Lee

VATKOR7 INFORMATION MANAGER

VATASIA REGIONAL CONLFLICT RESOLUTION PANEL

Virtual CPC Seoul Int'l Apporach & Tower

"Throw your F/O out the window for Radar Identification Please."

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jewon Lee 909227

• Keisuke Yamane

• Gary Law 842041

• William Woo 810764

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jewon Lee 909227

Jewon Lee 909227 25 posts

• Keisuke Yamane

Keisuke Yamane 11 posts

• Gary Law 842041

Gary Law 842041 9 posts

• William Woo 810764

William Woo 810764 8 posts

Popular Days

• Jul 15 2005

7 posts

• Jun 15 2005

6 posts

• Jul 12 2005

6 posts

• Jul 14 2005

5 posts

Terrance Kan 841637
Posted
Posted

yea let's do it

did you read my topic that i posted on last week (Let's relight the KAi Tak13) ?

well that is me and Gary's suggestion about the event , we are always looking forward to held an event and we wanna relight the whold asia

KA992.gif

我沒有什麼經驗,有的å

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

I agree with you Timothy but I really think it would be better if not just few individuals but entire VATKOR, VATROC, and VATJPN plans this together as a whole region and divisions. As Timothy pointed out, we could do VHHX (VHHH) - RKSI (RKSS) - RJAA (RJOO). They are in the proximity of each other and flight time between these cities will only take 1-3 hours. Not a boring 12-hour flight but fun flights with full ATCs.

I doubt that many people know about RKSI (Incheon Int'l) even though RKSI is one of the biggest airport hub in Asia for cargo and stuff. Maybe we will plan RKSI as a connecting hub between HKG and JPN. I don't know. that's just one of my many suggestions.

What do you think people? I need your participation and enthusiasm!

Jewon Lee

VATKOR7 INFORMATION MANAGER

VATASIA REGIONAL CONLFLICT RESOLUTION PANEL

Virtual CPC Seoul Int'l Apporach & Tower

"Throw your F/O out the window for Radar Identification Please."

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

William Woo 810764
Posted
Posted

Jewon,

Fully agree..

Few years ago, we have one join event for all 3 divisions here.It's time to plan for another major one.

Currently, we are working on the new website and it will provide charts for most of the asian countries.

However, it is very hard to collect good quality charts which are freely downable. We don't want to use those Jeppesen charts with might have problem with copyrights.

If any one have any good source of information, please let me know.

THe new website is nearly ready. It is under testing. You have have a look on the following link

http://www.vatasia.net/index.php

Regards,

William Woo

VATASIA Region Director

William Woo

VATSIM - Asia Region Director

http://www.vatasia.net

William Woo 810764
Posted
Posted

Jewon,

Fully agree..

Few years ago, we have one join event for all 3 divisions here.It's time to plan for another major one.

Currently, we are working on the new website and it will provide charts for most of the asian countries.

However, it is very hard to collect good quality charts which are freely downable. We don't want to use those Jeppesen charts with might have problem with copyrights.

If any one have any good source of information, please let me know.

THe new website is nearly ready. It is under testing. You have have a look on the following link

http://www.vatasia.net/index.php

Regards,

William Woo

VATASIA Region Director

William Woo

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted
Jewon,

Do you really think so? I honestly do not know about this copyrights issue. Overall it is not a commerical use and charts provided will not be a current but rather months-outdated ones (well, at least for Korea). Probably you could contact staff from VATUSA or VATEUR and ask them how they dealt with chart issues when hosting a REGION-WIDE event?

For Korea, I have chart pack readily available for airports within Seoul TMA (RKSI, RKSS, RKSN, and RKSM) in PDF format.

However, it is licensed for Korean Air and I am trying to figure out how to edit this PDF file... I don't have the ultimate adobe pack with editing function...

Well let's think about this carefully.

Thanks.

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

William Woo 810764
Posted
Posted

Jewon,

I got in touch with a guy from Pakistan and he did run into trouble with Jeppensen some times ago as he put up old charts. He got warning and nearly sued by the company. That's why he removed all the charts from his site.

It is not a good idea to put up any commerical products even if it is for non-commerical use.

For Korea, I have put up the link to the AIP and it contains most update charts for use already.

For other countries, I try hard to locate the AIP or from other freely downloadable charts source.

For event in between currently active divisions, it is not that difficult as the information is pretty much easy to access. The only difficulties will be to access those unfamiliar area outside the currently active division like Vietnam, Mainland China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines etc.

William

William Woo

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Mr. Woo,

Yes Sir... I understand.

ROK government AIP system is really good for the flight but personally i don't think they are not really the best charts to read and have situational awareness fast. But I guess it's the only option for Korea... One thing I am wondering tho... where are VATJPN guys? We need to talk to them about this event also.

And I guess we need to make a "Universal Web Page" that redirects people to the available charts. I am pretty usre that Japanese government publishes AIP sites like Korea... We maybe can acchive them as a PDF file and distribute them non-commerical use.

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Kar-Lok Wong 839249
Posted
Posted

About the copyright.

I also agree with William, the site is not for commercial use, but the copyright is till in force.

Maybe with Jeppesen approval you can put them online, but probably you have to buy it first. Because they also have simcharts, that is a product not for commercial use, but only for flight simulator.

About PDF docomeents, that's why I'm thinking of. Create our own charts, the beginning is hard, you have to draw all lines from scrath. but after that, update is very easy to made, only add a taxiway, or change gates.

VATSIM ASIA Region > http://www.vatasia.net

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

For Korea, simply we can redirect pilots to the AIP page that our Ministry of Construction and Trainsportation setup for us. What I am saying as "Universal Page" is a page that redirects people to the necessary charts they need. Our VATASIA Universal Chart Page would make "One Stop" shopping for pilots in need of flight info.

I believe, for Korean airports, pilots participating in the event wouldn't have problems because all the government charts are set up in pdf file online for convenient viweing. The problem is, what about China and Japan? You guys need to confirm if your government is publishing AIP and IAP charts online for public viewing.

If they do have AIP pages setup online, hell, forget Jeppesen. We can just use governments' ones.

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

William Woo 810764
Posted
Posted
For Korea, simply we can redirect pilots to the AIP page that our Ministry of Construction and Trainsportation setup for us. What I am saying as "Universal Page" is a page that redirects people to the necessary charts they need. Our VATASIA Universal Chart Page would make "One Stop" shopping for pilots in need of flight info.

I believe, for Korean airports, pilots participating in the event wouldn't have problems because all the government charts are set up in pdf file online for convenient viweing. The problem is, what about China and Japan? You guys need to confirm if your government is publishing AIP and IAP charts online for public viewing.

If they do have AIP pages setup online, hell, forget Jeppesen. We can just use governments' ones.

Jewon,

That's exactly the problem with Asia. Very few countries provide free downloadable charts. Japan has the electronic AIS NOTAM system but it doesn't link to their AIP. I cannot find any link even from their government site.

I know that a few scenery software bundle do include an electronic copy of Japan AIP but I don't have a chance to get hold of it.

Also, such bundled AIP may be outdated, only current when the software publishes.

For China, it is even worse. It is hard to get access to the AIP. Of cause they publish AIP but it is not easy to get a copy, even a printed copy. No only it is expensive, the Chinese government also consider it somewhat cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ified. There is no link to their AIP online either.

The only available AIPs that we can locate are: South Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore. For the rest of the countries, I am afraid that they are not available online.

If you check the new website, you can see that if these AIPs are available, we already put up links. If they are not there, it simply meant that it is NOT available at the time. I have done very extensive search before and unfortunately this is the reality!

William Woo

William Woo

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Roger... I think there are prolly abundant charts available for Japan and China anyways... especially Narita and VHHH...

By the way, where are VATJPN guys? We need to talk to them. It CAN'T be like Korea and China setup a plan, you just FOLLOW IT!

Regards,

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Kar-Lok Wong 839249
Posted
Posted
Roger... I think there are prolly abundant charts available for Japan and China anyways... especially Narita and VHHH...

By the way, where are VATJPN guys? We need to talk to them. It CAN'T be like Korea and China setup a plan, you just FOLLOW IT!

Regards,

As you can see on the website, japan and hong kong charts are already available.

For Hong Kong we can use the electronic AIP provided by the Hong Kong Authority.

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Well, I actually do know that VATJPN provides jeppesen charts online... but the problem is:

Will Jeppesen hold VATASIA responsible for copyright violation if we post this event as a VATSIM-wide event on the VATSIM.net front page?

If Jeppesent would not, fine, it should be all right for everyone. Hell, if they won't say nothing for outdated charts online, I will post Korean jeppesen charts online too in PDF format so pilots can have a bundle instead of one chart at a time.

VATKOR and Hong Kong airports have readily available AIP online... the problem lies with VATJPN and VATROC (Taiwan).

Of course statement above are made under the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption that mainland China VATSIM authority will not participate in this event (even though it would be great if they do).

Regards,

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Kar-Lok Wong 839249
Posted
Posted

Will Jeppesen hold VATASIA responsible for copyright violation if we post this event as a VATSIM-wide event on the VATSIM.net front page?

Regards,

Depends where the charts are hosted, but if they are on vatasia.net they have the rights to do so.

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Regards,

Depends where the charts are hosted, but if they are on vatasia.net they have the rights to do so.

Then what about private servers like mine? It's located in Korea.

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Surely its best to not use the copyrighted material in a public event, no matter whose server it is on.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

William Woo 810764
Posted
Posted

Regards,

Then what about private servers like mine? It's located in Korea.

No matter where the files are located, distribution of such material in whatever way, in either electronic or published form, is already a violation of copyright. Even if the charts are outdated, they still hold the copyright.

In your case, you are held responsible if your server distribute it. DON'T risk it, please.

Regards,

William

William Woo

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

that's what i thought...

Now, Mr. Woo, are you being successful contacting VATJPN staff?

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Keisuke Yamane
Posted
Posted

Hello.

I am Keisuke Yamane from VATJPN.

So sorry that participation was late.

I charged myself with the responsibility of doing.

My best regards.

Yamane,Keisuke /811527

VATJPN1offline.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/VATJPN

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Mr. Yamane,

Thanks for coming. Is VATJPN willing to provide necessary service and participate fully if this event comes true?

By saying necessary service, of course it means almost-full staffing of your major airport ATC facilities such and Narita, Haneda, and Osaka.

Thank you and I expect positive response.

Regards,

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Keisuke Yamane
Posted
Posted

Mr. Lee,

If the schedule of an event is decided, I am going to look for the controllers

who take charge of Narita Airport and Kansai Airport in VATJPN website.

So,I want to look for seven peoples for controller,

RORG_CTR (Naha_control),

RJDG_CTR (Fukuoka_control),

RJTG_CTR (Tokyo_control),

RJAA_APP (Narita_approach),

RJAA_TWR (Narita_tower),

RJBB_APP (Kansai_approach)

and

RJBB_TWR (Kansai_tower)

Regards,

Yamane,Keisuke /811527

VATJPN1offline.gif

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Mr Yamane,

It doesn't have to be two aiports... all we need is one airport with full ATC service able... and ARTCC facility manned therefore entire country is under the influence of ATC service...

Now, we gathered all together and have charts somewhat ready.

It's time to talk about detils like how we going to proceed with event.

I am thinking setting up a 3-point route such as 1. VHHH- 2. RKSI- 3. RJAA

Let me know what you were thinking about and we also need some possible dates for this event.

Regards,

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC

Keisuke Yamane
Posted
Posted

As a result of discussed in VATJPN, it was judged that Fukuoka airport(RJFF) is more suitable.

The reasons of RJFF are ...

1. Near of other airports.

2. RJTG_CTR is unnecessary for RJFF.

It is difficult to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble controllers for major event.

August or later is good for VATJPN...

Yamane,Keisuke /811527

VATJPN1offline.gif

Jewon Lee 909227
Posted
Posted

Mr. Yamane,

I understand RJFF is suitable but Tokyo Control is essential in this operation sice Tokyo Control controlls all the aircraft comes inbound from China and Korea into Japan.

Of course, it is best if you can man all the centers if possible.

For Korea, Incheon Center, RKSI, RKSS will be manned down to the tower and ground.

VATROC, are you ready sir?

Regards,

Jewon Lee

CFI/II/MEI/AGI/IGI

Incheon vACC