You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Training session with the simulator: two questions

Gian Marco Gallo 935551

Gian Marco Gallo 935551
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

I have two questions about the built in simulator:

a) is it possible to have more than a student connected to my simulation? I tried but only one student can connect to my simulation. The second remains in waiting status.

b) is it possible to create a simulation file for the tower training? My problem is I don't know how to write in the file that aircrafts are established on ils. Any help?

Thanks

Gian Marco Gallo,

Vatsim supervisor

firma.jpgGradi.jpeg

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Unfortunatly the answer are quite easy:

1. currently not possible

2. currently not possible. You can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a starting point close to the ILS, but they will need to be cleared manually for the ILS.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Gian Marco Gallo 935551
Posted
Posted

Are those things in development or not?

Gian Marco Gallo,

Vatsim supervisor

firma.jpgGradi.jpeg

Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted
a) is it possible to have more than a student connected to my simulation? I tried but only one student can connect to my simulation. The second remains in waiting status.
If they only should observe the situation, it is possible:

You as the trainer have to start the proxy server, and observer should connect to VATSIM via proxy with your IP adress as proxy adress.

b) is it possible to create a simulation file for the tower training? My problem is I don't know how to write in the file that aircrafts are established on ils. Any help?

I created a tower sim file, where aircraft come from a fix about 25 NM away, and the first waypoint is called "ILS26R": http://edbb.homedns.org/atc/esse/TWR/Training_EDDT_1.txt

The last 3 aircraft have a routing like this: "$ROUTE:DLH7120:ILS26R:002::"

They should descent now on their own on the glide path.

943647.gif

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Hm, actually that doesn't work for me, but in a strange way. ES seems to accept ILS25R as a waypoint, but the result isn't a correct landing for me. When I add this as the last waypoint, the aircrafts do descend, but they crash/touchdown around the position where they would be supposed to start their descend. When I initiate the ILS via the ILS-button, it works just fine, so it can't be an error inside the ILS definition.

@Gergely: is that supposed to work that way, as it is not docomeented and I remember that it wasn't possible earlier.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Gian Marco Gallo 935551
Posted
Posted
If they only should observe the situation, it is possible:

You as the trainer have to start the proxy server, and observer should connect to VATSIM via proxy with your IP adress as proxy adress.

I created a tower sim file, where aircraft come from a fix about 25 NM away, and the first waypoint is called "ILS26R": http://edbb.homedns.org/atc/esse/TWR/Training_EDDT_1.txt

The last 3 aircraft have a routing like this: "$ROUTE:DLH7120:ILS26R:002::"

They should descent now on their own on the glide path.

Thanks for your help. I will try those two systems asap

Gian Marco Gallo,

Vatsim supervisor

firma.jpgGradi.jpeg

Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted
Hm, actually that doesn't work for me, but in a strange way. ES seems to accept ILS25R as a waypoint, but the result isn't a correct landing for me. When I add this as the last waypoint, the aircrafts do descend, but they crash/touchdown around the position where they would be supposed to start their descend. When I initiate the ILS via the ILS-button, it works just fine, so it can't be an error inside the ILS definition.

@Gergely: is that supposed to work that way, as it is not docomeented and I remember that it wasn't possible earlier.

Yes, I also recognized this problem sometimes, but I know I have at least one scenario where it works.

@Gian Marco: In Berlin we make our ES tower training witk at least two persons: One who is steering the planes, and another one (with the proxy-observer-method) who is doing the communication. So the steering guy (mostly me) has capacity to clear them manually for ILS.

943647.gif

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Hi,

At the moment it is not possible to connect two students as answered well. But the next goal is to make a SweatBox connection possible. Then there can be many students and many instructor connections at once. I will try also to solve somehow that not only the students but the instructors will be able to hand off the simulated traffic. But this is not yet in the development state.

The ILS26R is not supposed to be working. It is just purely accidental. But actually it is a good idea to use the ILS name in this way. I will check.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted
The ILS26R is not supposed to be working. It is just purely accidental. But actually it is a good idea to use the ILS name in this way. I will check.
Mmmh, I really know, that it works at least in one of my sim files...

I really have to check my files for that.

EDIT: It is possible. I just found this simulation and tested it, all aircrafts are descending fine on the glidepath.

943647.gif

• 1 month later...
Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted

OK, now I know, why the automatic ILS descent worked in some of my scenarios:

The center of our Berlin sectorfile is nearly in the middle of runway 26R in Berlin-Tegel. If the first and only waypoint is anything like ILSxxx (I think it has to be an unknown waypoint), the aircraft maintains the altitude, flies direct to the sectorfile center and descends about 10 miles away to land direct on this point. If you have one or more waypoints before the ILSxxx point, the aircraft will fall down as described before.

If you want to have an automatic ILS approach, you need to move the center of the sectorfile to the touchdown point of the runway, and position the aircraft anywhere on the localizer.

943647.gif

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Thomas,

Thanks for the update. I will check.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 1 year later...
Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted
Hello Gergely,

we just tested the way to get an automated ILS descent by using a waypoint named like "ILS08L", but it´s still the same, the airport crashes down at the last valid waypoint.

Please confirm, you didn´t built in this feature yet, or is there a new problem?

943647.gif

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I was unable to reproduce it. Can you check what is the status of the AC. Is it XXX is on ILS approach?

Actually the ILSXXX is planned to be the only item in the route section. It is designed to be used when making a TWR scenario. The ILSXXX is interpreted only at the startup.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Thomas Purbs 943647
Posted
Posted

We tested this feature by positioning the aircraft about 25NM before runway, with a routing via two transition waypoints and then ILS08L:

$ROUTE:GWI7403:DP514 DP432 ILS08L:000:000:000:DP432:6000

I tried it by eliminating the other waypoints, but now the aircraft is flying straight on a heading 035, and doesn´t turn to the ILS. And if I only have the "ILS08L" in the route field, it disappears in the simulation dialog (simulation still paused):

$ROUTE:GWI7403:ILS08L:000:000:000

With one waypoint before, it falls down to this waypoint:

$ROUTE:GWI7403:DP432 ILS08L:000:000:000

943647.gif