You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Use of the ATC Channel

Matthew Lewis 878286

Matthew Lewis 878286
Posted
Posted

I'll make this brief, tonight I saw 16 messages on the ATC channel from the same FIR in a row in the space of 2 to 3 minutes which seemed like general chat. Can I just remind everyone that for those controllers who have text pilots on frequency, it is extremely annoying when a pilot says you have ignored his call because it has been caught up in the ATC channel "conversations". It must be reminded that the ATC Channel should be used for operational or important information not conversations with other controllers. Please use the private chat boxes by double clicking on the controller you wish to talk to.

Many Thanks,

Matthew Lewis

uk9.jpg

Thomas George 827476
Posted
Posted

Code of Conduct, section C9:

Controllers should not carry on private conversations between themselves, pilots or other individuals on the active communication frequency, the ATC channel or on the “guardâ€

Thomas George

• 3 weeks later...
Keith Stein 810353
Posted
Posted

Does this include ATC voice channels. Or just text channels?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

This refers to text messages.

Remember that a controller only has a few lines of text visible and if someone is using ATC text messages inappropriately then the likelyhood increases of a valid text message being missed.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted
This refers to text messages.

Actually, it does not. It would cover both text and voice.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

George,

What voice is there for ATC channel?

I think common sense would prevail that controllers wouldnt chat on an active control frequency since one would hope they collectively would be to busy to do so.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted
George,

What voice is there for ATC channel?

I think common sense would prevail that controllers wouldnt chat on an active control frequency since one would hope they collectively would be to busy to do so.

lol, my thoughts exactly. . . if there is a predefined ARTCC / FIR voice room, why would we need to regulate the spam (controller to controller chit chat) that is there, when it is all internal information for the ARTCC / FIR. That's like us regulating the Override, or Intercom feature. Doesn't make much sense.

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Perhaps George just meant that irrelevant chit-chat on the voice frequencies can also cause problems. There certainly have been times when I've connected to a frequency only to hear the controller shooting the breeze with a pilot or two, and I was unable to check in until there was some empty time on the frequency.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 8 months later...
Jan Naslund
Posted
Posted

Hi,

This has happened to me too and in some countries they seem to 90% speak their own local lingo and i have no option but to "butt in" as i don't have a clue if they are in the middle of a conversation or if it just finished.

Cheers / Jan

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted

One thing I don't quite get is why controllers are reprimanded for using the ATC channel to notify all active ATC visible (isn't this what the channel is for?) about holding aircraft or other non-private information which is relevant to the situation? It's a lot quicker than .box allControllers 1A 2A 3A 0A 2B 3C 0S ..., then sending a message, which then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes they have the time themselves to look at the PM. Then, if you're like me, the ATC PM system breaks and then I cannot view recieved PMs from anyone in the group until I have time to exit ASRC, open it back up, log in, re-tag all aircraft, re-set prim freq, re-center, etc.

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

I don't think use of the /atc channel for necessary, inter-controller communication is forbidden (although that's what chat boxes, intercom, override, etc are supposed to be for).

It's those "I'm here!.......NOW......I'm ONLINE.........AT THIS MINUTE!!!!" messages from Fleasville Delivery that half the network has to read because he's got his range set at 600 miles is what is frowned upon.

As with anything, it's a common sense issue.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Marek Pola 843115
Posted
Posted
One thing I don't quite get is why controllers are reprimanded for using the ATC channel to notify all active ATC visible (isn't this what the channel is for?) about holding aircraft or other non-private information which is relevant to the situation? It's a lot quicker than .box allControllers 1A 2A 3A 0A 2B 3C 0S ..., then sending a message, which then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes they have the time themselves to look at the PM. Then, if you're like me, the ATC PM system breaks and then I cannot view recieved PMs from anyone in the group until I have time to exit ASRC, open it back up, log in, re-tag all aircraft, re-set prim freq, re-center, etc.

Because it such messages come every 5 or 10 seconds, text messages from your own pilots disappears very quickly. I've been in this situation a few times and it's very annoying. This has been between one or more GND, TWR and APP positions, and internal to them only, no need for me as CTR 300 nm away in another FIR to read these messages.

3500.png