You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VERY SERi0US PR0blEM

Rodger Johnson 1052770

Rodger Johnson 1052770
Posted
Posted

I cant fly anymore. I fly on FS9 and whenever I fly, my hard drive makes a clicking noise. Its not the speakers I know for sure its my hard drive. Then after couple of secs to mins (it varries), Computer crashes and get the blue screen of death. This only happens when I fly MSFS. I am ok doing whatever but when I fly, I get the clicking sound.

I did a test flight earlier today. I got the clicking sound again and my computer crashed. Windows was in the startup sequence. But it takes forever. It never stopped I let it do the startup for 15 mins and it made no progress. Couple of weeks ago Windows would start up in about 10 seconds. It was very quick then it gradually slowed down.

I did some research and people say my hard drive is about ready to die out. its pretty new, but theres a lot of signs of it getting old and about to die out.

So my question is, Is this true? Is my hard drive about to die out. I wanna know so I can back up my data before its too late.

-Rodger

Robert Kurtz 1034837
Posted
Posted

I have no idea if your hard drive is going to kick the bucket, or not. But I can say this: If you are at all in doubt...back up your stuff. Life is going to suck if you don't. Especially if you know that you had the chance to, but didn't. I've been there.

3711154647_0eac39f1a2_o.jpg

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

The harddisk is very likely soon going to crash complete .

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

1. Do your backups immediately... beware you already have some data corruption so you might have trouble backing up entire directories.

2. Buy yourself a nice new seagate/wd 7200.11 SATA drive, or better

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Rodger. I concur with what everyone else is saying. You appear to have a failing hard drive. The cost of replacement hard drives is relatively cheap as compared to losing your personal data. I would recommend you replacing it soon. They often start out with the symptoms you described and continue to get progressively worst. It’s rare that they suddenly go all at once. But many times various programs will become problematic, then after (sometimes a few months) nothing.

You probably get the sounds and failures with Flight Simulator because that’s the immediate part of the mechanism or surface that’s currently failing. I’ve never seen the situation reverse itself.

If you have important data on your hard drive, every time you access it and make a modification, you risk that it will attempt to write the update on a failing part of the drive. If it does, you might lose the data for the programs that hadn’t been giving you problems.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Hi Rodger,

I had the exact same problem a while ago on my computer, and I solved the problem by replacing the SATA cable which runs between the motherboard and the hard drive. You should be able to pick one up for about $1 from any computer hardware store.

Maybe I was just lucky, because all the symptoms actually do point to a failing hard drive, but its worth a try.

Whatever you do, make sure you have sufficient backups!

Jacques

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Rodger Johnson 1052770
Posted
Posted

Alright Ill order a hard drive. Ill also try replacing the PATA cables to since I have a bunch of them lying around.

I think what caused this was it overheating. The hard drive is covered with wires from my motherboard, and we live in a house with no AC anymore, and it gets hot.

When I used to live in my old house we would have AC all the time and my computer would work fine. Ever since I moved Ive been having problems. Lucky enough its getting colder.

Ive started backing up my data on my pen drives. So I am good on the backup. All set for my hard drive to crash.

-Rodger