You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems with throttles

Oscar Lopez 913987

Oscar Lopez 913987
Posted
Posted

Hi:

I am really excited using Squawkbox 3, and now have more than 230 hours of flight.

In general, I have had no problems, but this one:

As you know, when you accelerate, both of the throttles move in a synchronous way. But sometimes, not always, when I am flying, one of the throttles gets stuck and no longer works. It happens with different planes.

This is especially critical when you have had a long flight with auto-throttle on and prepare to approach, because you are not aware of the problem.

As you know, when approaching, you are constantly moving up and down the throttles to preserve speed, but it gets very difficult with my problem. It is like if I had lost one engine.

Does anyone know what is happening with my throttles?

Just in case, I have never used the "Failures" feature.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oscar "Tito" Lopez

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

I think it's something to do with the fact that FS uses keyboard commands to control the engines, and if you have the focus in the wrong window when you think you are typing in SB/FSInn you can acdidentally decouple one of the engines from the throttle. I've done it many times!

If you spot it has happened, put the focus in the FS window and type E 1 2 to make sure both throttles are synchronised.

Ruth

VATUK2

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Oscar Lopez 913987
Posted
Posted

Hi, Ruth:

You may be terribly right...!

I hope it will help.

Thanks a lot.

Marc Sykes 852946
Posted
Posted

If you want it to stop happening in the future, go into the FS key [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments page and delete the "E" key [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment. I can't really think of a situation in a multiengine aircraft where you would ever want to move the throttles asynchronously, so it's a totally unnecessary command. The E + 1&2 method to resync them seems to be inconsistent, it works sometimes but not always. I favor a more permanent solution.

Marc Sykes

Toronto ACC Trainee

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted
I can't really think of a situation in a multiengine aircraft where you would ever want to move the throttles asynchronously, so it's a totally unnecessary command.

I use all the time to help with tight turns on the ground. Some of the aircraft I fly just don't want to turn, even when as slow as 5-10kts, so the extra help with one of the engines aids immensly.

Having said that, I too occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ionaly start typing a message even though FS still has the focus, making strange (and occ[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ionally upleasant) things happen. One thing I've done is use FSUIPC (registered version) to quicky resync the engines. I would have to double check, but I believe that I set up CTR+SHIFT+E as my hot Keys for resync-ing them.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Oscar Lopez 913987
Posted
Posted

To all who helped, thanks a lot. Great advise.

Oscar "Tito" Lopez

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I can't really think of a situation in a multiengine aircraft where you would ever want to move the throttles asynchronously, so it's a totally unnecessary command.

Tell that to the pilots of United 232 which crash landed at Sioux City after total hydraulic failure. They controlled pitch and yaw (and I think even roll) using only asynchronous thrust.

Of course, this reply is only in jest ... such a thing probably wouldn't work out so well in Flight Simulator.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andre Koch 852831
Posted
Posted
Of course, this reply is only in jest ... such a thing probably wouldn't work out so well in Flight Simulator.

...and in the "real" simulator as well. When they tried to recreate this accident in a simulator, not one single crew managed to bring the plane down the way the heroic crew of UA232 did it. Even though sadly many people lost their lives on that day, even more survived.

Cheers,

Andre Koch

Director VACC-SAG

[email protected]

VACCSAG-Banner-300x65.gif

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I remember reading that they couldn't do it in the sim. I wonder if that was a result of limitations of the sim, or lack of skill by the pilots. (Or just plain lack of "grace under pressure" factor. ) Pretty amazing.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Oh you Jet Jockies!

It's the ONLY way to taxi a multi engined tail dragger!

Anonymous quote re the DC-3 "If you can taxi this aircraft you can probably fly it!"

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted

is there a way to fix it when it happens to the PMDG 737?

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

Randy Blackwell 925656
Posted
Posted

I have that happen at the worst times. Thanks to all who suggested those key commands. I'll have to try them.

Toronto FIR - Senior Student

Real World Pilot