You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Upgrade Question

Moshe Mizrahi

Moshe Mizrahi
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I want to upgrade (only) my processor and/or graphic card in order to get the maximum FSX FPS from the whole machine. I have no idea if this will improve anything because I have no idea how to figure out where is the "bottle neck" of my system.

Please guide me if it will be efficient to upgrade the proc and/or graphic card and to which best available components today, from the following existing configuration:

Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHZ

M/B: ASUS P5K DELUXE WI-FI EDITION

2xHD: WD 160GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA RAID

Graphics: ASUS GEFORECE 8800GTX 768MB

Case: ANTEC P182 BLACK with an extra fan

P/S: ENERMAX INFINITI 720W SLI

Cooling: Thermaltake V1 Volcano CPU COOLER

4GB RAM: 2xCORSAIR XMS2-6400 800MHZ DDR2 2048MB DUAL CHANNEL 4-4-4-12 DHX

Appreciate your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance

Moshe Mizrahi

VATIL : Virtual is the new Reality

Otrokovice to Haifa Virtual Flight Trip with a Cessna 152

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I think that's already a reasonably beefy graphics card. May not be top of the line, but it's pretty good. You also have a good amount of RAM in there.

I'd start by trying to get a 3.0ghz or faster processor and see how that does for you. Out of the bunch, the processor seems to be the weakest link to me. Someone else may have more salient comments though, wait for further info from another poster.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Moshe:

What Operating System are you using?

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Moshe Mizrahi
Posted
Posted
Moshe:

What Operating System are you using?

XP 32

As I understand the proc is currently much more a limitation than the GPU, I was thinking to start with OC the Q6600 to 3.2G.

What do you think about that?

Moshe Mizrahi

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Well...I have to say that your hardware seems to be pretty good. If you were running Vista, I was about to make a suggestion that made a world of difference for me (and I have a similar system although my CPU (a Q9550) is a bit more powerful). Unfortunately, my suggestion (as far as I know) is not applicable for XP32 (it involved resizing the FSX window so that rather than running maximized, it runs Normal and is sized so it does not touch the Vista start button - I know, it sounds flakey but it more than doubled and in some cases tripled my frame rates with sliders all the way to the right....and I'm not exaggerating).

I may be wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that if you spent the money or overclocked your CPU, you won't likely see much difference than you are getting now with the current setup. That system "should" be able to run FSX decently and I think the problem may be elsewhere. Hopefully, someone else may be able to help you out. Sorry.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Moshe Mizrahi
Posted
Posted

OK.

Thank you all for now

Moshe Mizrahi