You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Networked setup

David Voogd 857885

David Voogd 857885
Posted
Posted

Just curious, can you run two copies of VRC on two separate networked computers at once to get the same multi monitor effect? (Sort of like running Squawkbox on a second networked computer).

David V

Michael Kopinsky 1075238
Posted
Posted

Someone else will confirm this, but I think the problem is logging in twice with one CID. VATSIM doesn't care if your computers are networked, all it cares is how many times an individual controller logs in at once.

I saw a program somewhere that allows you to use a networked computer as a secondary monitor. I don't remember what it's called or where I saw it, but try looking for it on google or something.

David Voogd 857885
Posted
Posted

Ya I was aware you can't log in twice at once, was just curious if VRC or ASRC could communicate with a second instance over a network but I'm guessing not.

David V

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted
http://www.maxivista.com/ is one solution.

Tim Krajcar

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

I run two monitors off a single PC with one connection. On the main monitor is the radar, on the second monitor is the flight strips, chat boxes, tower view etc. My video card has dual monitor outputs. I can also open a second radar window if needed off the same session.

I have 3 PC's but have never attempted to run more than one connection (either as controller or pilot) at once.

I have thought about the "what if's" before such as if my neighbor came over the house and wanted to control side by side with me or him fly and I control...etc etc. So far those what ifs never materialized.

Also my son is a VATSIM member (has own PID) but is not allowed to connect when I am on as we share the same IP through a router. Thankfully he is nowhere as active as me

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Multiple connections through different VATSIM IDs used by different people from the same IP are perfectly fine, you and your son can be on together anytime you like.

The key "no-no" is connecting multiple times under the same VATSIM ID, or, worse, registering an additional VATSIM ID to use yourself (our membership department has gotten very good at catching them, and doing so will earn you a vacation from VATSIM). Don't do it.

Tim Krajcar

David Voogd 857885
Posted
Posted

Ya unfortunately with two computers already side by side I don't have anywhere near enough desk space for a second monitor on the main system so that's why I was hoping there could be a networked option, with only the main system actually connected to Vatsim and the client system just networked for the flight strips and all that to display on it.

David V

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

My post earlier does just that, David...

Tim Krajcar

David Voogd 857885
Posted
Posted

Oops missed that one, thanks Tim i'll take a look at that.

David V

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted
Multiple connections through different VATSIM IDs used by different people from the same IP are perfectly fine, you and your son can be on together anytime you like.

The key "no-no" is connecting multiple times under the same VATSIM ID, or, worse, registering an additional VATSIM ID to use yourself (our membership department has gotten very good at catching them, and doing so will earn you a vacation from VATSIM). Don't do it.

Thanks for the clarification Now if I can just pry him from the war games he plays online (while texting on the cell phone and cranking the ipod) and have him sit behind the scope or behind the controls of a Cessna....now thats a challenge!

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

David Voogd 857885
Posted
Posted

Well having used VRC on my new 24" monitor I can safely say I won't need the networked setup anyways

David V

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

David,

If you absolutely need a networked setup then you have to use Euroscope. Euroscope allows a proxy connection through the 1 main connection so you can use as many screens and computers as you like. Perhaps this is a feature that will be added to VRC in the future as it can already connect to a second computer for tower view using just one connection to Vatsim.

Mark.

847924.png