You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Purchased a new computer. Will it run FSX?

Jim Calvert 866790

Jim Calvert 866790
Posted
Posted

My new system runs an Intel Quad 9550 with 4 GB ram and an Nvidia 9800 GT video card.

Will that fly?

Thanks

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

So long as you don't put it in DirectX-10 preview mode....

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Should work fine, just don't use Vista

My 9550, nVidia 260 screams.

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

how do i know if my 9800GTX+ is in preview mode or not, and whats wrong with vista?

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Preview mode would be an option in FSX if your card and drivers support it.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. I've used it for nearly a year now (the 64-bit version) with no FS9 or FSX issues whatsoever. In fact, they both are very quick and smooth, particularly FS9 (even with addon aircraft and scenery). I use the same CPU as you have Paul with an 8800GT card and 6GB of RAM. You'll be fine with FSX. If you opt for Vista, make sure you are running the latest Service Pack (as it addresses some performance issues) and that you run FSX (and FS9) in a windowed mode which IS NOT MAXIMIZED. Resize the FS window so that it fills the screen but does not touch the big round Start button that extends over the top of the task bar. You should see a significant performance improvement under Vista.

2. Shaun - You have to physically select the DX10 preview mode from within FSX so unless you have done that, you'll be running DX9.0c (hopefully). There are mixed reviews about DX10 but for the most part, they are probably negative. Give it a try as you can always go back.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

k heres a question though, here are my specs and im have FPS problems

XFX 8200 MOBO

AMD X2 5000+ black edition @ 2.9

2gigs OSX nividia edition DDR2 800mhz

120 segate 7200rpm HDD

XFX 9800GTX+

and with FT ksfo + LVLD VC + active sky + ultimate terrain i only pul 22-25 FPS ;( whats wrong, do i need to clean my hard drive clean since is about 4 years old and do a brand new install

ps iv already tried a defrag no diff.

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

and its FS9

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

You really should start your own thread.

XFX 8200 MOBO

120 segate 7200rpm HDD

XFX 9800GTX+

and with FT ksfo + LVLD VC + active sky + ultimate terrain i only pul 22-25 FPS ;( whats wrong, do i need to clean my hard drive clean since is about 4 years old and do a brand new install

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

XFX 8200 MOBO

120 segate 7200rpm HDD

XFX 9800GTX+

dont even bother making your own thread, you have NO problems! 22-25fps is just fine, the human eye cant detect more then 30fps.

i dont know why people think they have to be pulling 50fps or even 100fps to run this stuff. its simply not the case. if you are in the 20 - 30fps range with full sliders, full traffic levels, and very detailed scenery, you have no problem at all

Shaun Paul Dobbs 1019770
Posted
Posted

but my friend with his cpu clocked at 3.4 with and 8800GTS is pulling more FPS with same settings?

AAY1010Sig-1.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
but my friend with his cpu clocked at 3.4 with and 8800GTS is pulling more FPS with same settings?

Not surprising, if he has a Core2 and you have a K10. But why does it matter?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted
22-25fps is just fine, the human eye cant detect more then 30fps.

This is a common urban legend that is not true. Film is recorded at 30fps and looks fine because there is motion blur in the frames. Computer games do not have motion blur, each frame is rendered in perfect focus. It's very easy to see a difference between 20 and 40 FPS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur

Tim Krajcar

Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Tim,

Thank you for your post. I found it very informative! I always believed in the urban legend

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Going back to Shaun's question, It could be that for what you're running (LevelD/ActiveSky/FlyTampa KSFO/Ultimate Terrain) that you are getting good results for what the card can put out. What you didn't mention was how much memory is on the 9800GTX+ card. That will play into this.

Everything else looks good, as I'm running considerably less:

Gigabyte GA-M770-DS3

AMD X2 4200+

2G Corsair DDR2 800MHz

3 HDDs

eVGA GeForce 8800GT

I'm using various freeware sceneries (BlueSky, VOZ, Cloud9, etc.) and only ActiveSky 2004. I'm clocking in a good 60FPS locked. so YMMV. I am doing what GSM mentioned as well, although on XP. I have FS9 in windowed mode, but that window is expanded to cover the whole screen, but not maximized. Sliders aren't completely to the right, but close.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Jim Calvert 866790
Posted
Posted

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I am fairly sure it will run fine. BTW I am running Vista x64.

Cheers

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted
Going back to Shaun's question, It could be that for what you're running (LevelD/ActiveSky/FlyTampa KSFO/Ultimate Terrain) that you are getting good results for what the card can put out. What you didn't mention was how much memory is on the 9800GTX+ card. That will play into this.

Everything else looks good, as I'm running considerably less:

Gigabyte GA-M770-DS3

AMD X2 4200+

2G Corsair DDR2 800MHz

3 HDDs

eVGA GeForce 8800GT

I'm using various freeware sceneries (BlueSky, VOZ, Cloud9, etc.) and only ActiveSky 2004. I'm clocking in a good 60FPS locked. so YMMV. I am doing what GSM mentioned as well, although on XP. I have FS9 in windowed mode, but that window is expanded to cover the whole screen, but not maximized. Sliders aren't completely to the right, but close.

BL.

I know it sounds silly but not maximizing and keeping it windowed (and not touching the Vista Start button - this is key) was a night and day difference on my system. It doubled my frame rates in FSX (from 10-15 to 30+ with sliders all the way to the right) and tripled (and even quadrupled) them in FS9 (from mid teens to over 40 with add ons and to 80-100 with default scenery and addon aircraft). It was a trick told to me by a respected FS developer and the results were amazing (at least on my system). You have nothing to lose in trying it. I will say that this was a Vista-only trick...it was not meant for XP but if it works there as well....more power (and frames!) to you.

George S. Marinakis

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming there must be some transparency/anti aliasing around that button that causes the vcard issues rendering the game around it. By being well clear of it, you avoid that little zone.

We had a problem with a media player in a Flex app we're working on where a similar issue with transparency around the controls was creating a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive drag on the system, creating m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive memory runaway and video stuttering.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to remember the exact explanation but it was something along those lines. There is something on or around that button that basically causes the graphics in FS (and any other app I guess) to be drawn twice (or something like that) which obviously wrecks havoc with performance. If you use Vista, you can see that a portion of the button arcs over the top of the task bar so that maximized windows actually are behind it. By staying off of it (i.e. resizing your window), you avoid the problem and performance improves. It doesn't appear to hurt most apps (for example, I'm using Firefox maximized at the moment and I can't discern any performance hit) but with something as intensive as FS9 or FSX, you see slower performance (FPS), memory issues and stuttering.

George S. Marinakis

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

That trick is really incredible, George. Thanks for that. I notice you can also set the start bar to Auto Hide, which removes the issue of having that button get in the way, and also allows you a little more vertical room. This is exactly what I've been looking for... A way to use my alternate monitor for my charts and radio stack.

Does anyone know... Is there a way to keep FSX from pausing when you make another window active? I'd like to be able to set up my charts/radio on the secondary screen, but I don't want the sim pausing all the time if I have to change pages.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

theres a setting for "pause on task switch" just for that purpose. Its in both 2004/fsx under general options i believe.

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

I even checked the General options before posting and still managed to miss it. Thanks Erhan.