You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PC or Mac

Aggrey Ellis 964561

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

I have a OSx86 machine that will run Windows but will also boot OS X Leopard. Should I buy X-Plane for Mac or PC. My Specs are pretty low end.

ATI HD2600 XT

2 GB DDR2 800 RAM

1 TB 7200 RPM Drive.

Dell DXP051 Mobo

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Seth Laws 1023369
Posted
Posted

I'm using a Macbook

GMA 950 (I know, I'm hoping they jazz up the Mac Mini so I can buy it, everything else is kind way a out there)

1 GB DDR2

Don't remember HD speed

Mac OS X Tiger

3.png

Without dreams, life ceases to entertain.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

There's advantages and disadvantages to both.

On Windows, you'll get better graphics performance. Windows drivers are almost always ahead of Mac drivers in terms of their performance and implementation of the latest-and-greatest API's. However, the price you pay for that is stability. "Oh...you're using NVIDIA driver version 1.2.473920393a....you need to use 1.2.473990561b."

On the Mac you can't get near-daily driver updates like you can on Windows, but the drivers are generally far more stable and just work. You don't find yourself with a conflict because the driver you upgraded to for game A breaks game B. Sound is also far more stable on the Mac as well. Finally, the majority of the X-plane development community seems to be Mac-based. That's not really an issue for the X-plane user though, since almost all developers create their plugins for all three X-plane platforms (or Windows and Mac at a minimum).

In short, there's no "wrong" choice. I prefer the Mac environment, so I'd rather stay in OS X even if it means I give up a few FPS. But I'm sure others feel different.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Oh, and unless it's changed, the X-plane disks contain all 3 installers. However you should verify that with Laminar before purchasing under that [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption.