You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

GEO colors keep changing!

Mike Nowinski 811269

Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

After having been away from VRC for awhile, I logged in yesterday to do some controlling. When I did I noticed some of the colors of my [GEO] section obects (coastlines) had stange colors. I double checked the SCT2 file and everything looks good. I actually haven't made any changes to it since the last time I logged in and everything was fine.

During the session I noticed that when I received text messages the colors would change again. Very strange.

I uninstalled VRC, rebooted and reinstalled. Same situation.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Nowinski - C3

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

Still looking for some help with the above.

Thanks,

Mike Nowinski - C3

Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Mike, this sounds more like a hardware problem with your graphics card, rather than a VRC problem.

Is the problem limited to VRC?

Good luck

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

Jacques,

Yes, it appears to only be with VRC. I'm using an ATI Radeon X850 with up-to-date drivers. The only thing I have done with my video card is tweak it for FlightSim FS9 using Radeon's ATI Catalyst program. I thought that might be a problem, so I reset it to default values and I still get the same problem.

Thanks,

Mike Nowinski - C3

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

I have a Radeon X1600XT and I have found that the 5.1 or 6.1 catalyst drivers are the best for VRC.

I installed the 9.1 drivers recently and found that fine line drawing was messy and would constantly cause color clashes with overlapping lines etc. I am using the 5.1 drivers at the moment with no problems in FS9 (not sure about FSX) and VRC.

Newest drivers are not always the best.

Cheers!

Paul.

Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

Thanks Paul...I'll see if I can get a copy of those drivers and try it out.

Mike

Mike Nowinski - C3

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

Oh and a word of advise. Uninstall the catalyst control center and install a program called ATI Tray Tools by a gent called Ray Adams. It is far more configurable and takes up less resources on your computer. Especially with OpenGL features, the latest drivers and CCC don't really handle OpenGL all too well. Even with older drivers the latest CCC doesn't have all the OpenGL features listed.

ATI Tray Tools will solve that for you.

Cheers!

Paul.

Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Paul....on it as we speak.

Mike Nowinski - C3

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

Did this work for you?

It would be good to get a report for this as we will then know the best drivers so far to run VRC with a Radeon card.

Cheers!

Paul.

Mike Nowinski 811269
Posted
Posted

Paul,

Unfortunately, the ATI Tools didn't correct the VRC problem. Perahps I didn't use the right settings, if I had to use any special ones at all. IF you use the ATI Tools, what settings do you use that allow VRC to display properly?

Thanks for the follow up.

Mike Nowinski - C3

Craig Phillips 947617
Posted
Posted

Mike, u have a PM

Craig Phillips

Senior Student - UK South East - Mentor

Developer: Aircraft Situation Editor (ASE)