You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

starting from the termial

Grant Stewart 1061634

Grant Stewart 1061634
Posted
Posted

If you can't start at a gate is it acceptable when flying online to start from a terminal ? Or can I not us xplane 9 to fly online?

thanks,

Grant

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

I suggest before you connect, is to "move" your aircraft to the gate or ramp, then connect.

I can tell you from experience that x-plane pilots show up in drastically different spots on the radar than MSFS pilots. Even when I have tower view on, the x-plane pilots appear way off from the MSFS scenery.

Our x-plane users can propably explain better than me why this happens.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Seth Laws 1023369
Posted
Posted

I've heard that in X-plane, altitude defaults are different than in MSFS.

Example: In X-plane, you will see MSFS pilots floating off the ground. In MSFS, you will see X-plane pilots in the ground.

Sometimes I see both, but I don't pay too much attention to it except when other pilots are taking off or landing (I find it more entertaining than watching them sitting at a gate or taxiing).

I haven't heard about the being off the scenery before, I always knew radar was off, but not the scenery. I see MSFS pilots taking off from the runway centerline in x-plane, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

I use x-plane 8 still (I'm cheap), but I heard that the location menu>local ramp selection has been removed, so I only know of being able to taxi to the terminal from the runway before connecting.

I hope this helps!

3.png

Without dreams, life ceases to entertain.

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

When I staff tower using tower view, I have experienced pilots taxi over the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] and lineup for takeoff in some interesting places. When I call them to confirm they are on the correct path, they reply that they are flying x-plane.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Grant Stewart 1061634
Posted
Posted

I installed opesceneryx with the NY airport files from xplane.org and I suddenly have the ramp or gate option in location ( for JFK anyways).This should make things a little easier.

Grant

Eduardo Flores 934933
Posted
Posted

Based on my own experience, I have a theory to explain at least some of those cases of location disparity:

Due to the more limited availability of add-on sceneries for X-Plane compared to the ubiquitous MSFS, I have had to create my own airports where X-Plane didn't show any or showed just generic ones. In order to build them, I have turned to real world information from official sources (in Chile, the DGAC, for example), satellite photos, even my own GPS position acquisition. It seems that the precise layout that results from all this creates an incompatibility with sceneries based on the default MSFS. For example, the most widely used layout of Aeroparque (SABE) in Buenos Ares, Argentina, is grossly inaccurate (compared to reality). I had to convert that scenery to X-Plane and discard mine to fly there. I once contacted a guy from Argentina that created his own scenery of SABE, much consistent with mine, who agreed with me about the inaccuracy of MSFS layout. So I had to choose between compatibility with real world and compatibility with MSFS. Maybe some of you have the same experience.