You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FPS Questions

Phillip Levy 1086899

Phillip Levy 1086899
Posted
Posted

What is the best way to bring up FPS?

It seems that while I am around airports: leaving, arriving, taxing, etc., I am lucky to get more thank 3 FPS...its ridiculous. Sometimes i get 7-8 (on a good day) but very rarely( ). I am using FSX, usually no add on scenery, usualy real world update weather(from FSX). I dont run any other programs while I am flying besides FSINN and FSX. Maybe I should lower some of my settings, but besides that, what is the second best way to get FPS up. RAM? Graphics Card?

See you in the virtual sky ,

Phillip Levy

1000.png96.png

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Upgrading your computer hardware is a good option for increasing the FPS if you are able to do that. Not knowing what your system specs are, nor your current settings I can't recommend anything specific. However, if you don't absolutely have to have all the sliders 'cranked up' then an easy way to increase it is just to turn some settings down. Even with the sliders around mid-way point you should have 'decent' scenery...and besides, on all but the clearest days there really isn't much to look at when your cruising at FL380

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Take in mind that not all problems can be solved by getting a new PC. Switch to FS9!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
What is the best way to bring up FPS?

It seems that while I am around airports: leaving, arriving, taxing, etc., I am lucky to get more thank 3 FPS...its ridiculous. Sometimes i get 7-8 (on a good day) but very rarely( ). I am using FSX, usually no add on scenery, usualy real world update weather(from FSX). I dont run any other programs while I am flying besides FSINN and FSX. Maybe I should lower some of my settings, but besides that, what is the second best way to get FPS up. RAM? Graphics Card?

Hi, Phillip. I notice one of the members suggested that you downgrade. I have both FS9 and FSX on my computer. I get better performance with my FSX installation, than FS9. When I say performance, I mean the smoothness. I have my FPS on FSX locked at 20FPS. It will go higher, but I find that FSX locked at 20FPS looks smoother than FS9 locked at 40FPS.

Once you have your FPS' locked, Flight Simulator will use the other resources for other components of the application to make the over all performance a better experience.

As far as your online experience with FSInn, I would suggest you look at the FSInn/VATSIM FAQ, specifically the question referencing performance. There are a number of items there that will increase your FPS for both FS9 and FSX.

It's not one of the suggestions in the FAQ, but bloated third party firewall/antivirus programs also affect Flight Simulator's performance, both FSX and FS9.

Personally, I wouldn't consider downgrading and option.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

And of course the number one easiest way to increase FPS:

Turn your graphics settings down a bit.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

The best way period is to actually turn off all the software rendering features like Aniso-Texturing and Anti-Aliasing and do them through the Nvidia/Catalyst drivers directly via hardware.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

I've suggested this a couple of other times and if you are running Vista, I urge you to try it and see if it doesn't make a difference for you. Here is my original post from another thread which asked a similar question:

While this suggestion is targeted more towards the Vista users out there, it *MAY* be something for you to try. I built a new machine this past Spring that should have been able to run FSX with no problems...fast CPU (Quad-Core), 6GB of DDR2 RAM, fast chipset and FSB on the MoBo, pretty good graphics card, etc.. However, I was finding the same level of performance that you are getting (10-12FPS offline using nothing but default aircraft and scenery). If I added on aircraft or scenery it got...really-really bad. I gave up on FSX and used FS9 exclusively. But I recently revisited FSX and tried to tackle the problem. Again, I run Vista (64bit) but this might work for XP as well.

First, if you are running FSX in a window, try it Full Screen mode (by hitting ALT-ENTER on your keyboard). Do your frame rates (in your test situation) improve? If they do, then you can try running it in Windowed mode but make sure you run it instead of . When you do so, simply resize the window so that it fills the screen but try to keep it off of the task bar. Don't maximize the window. You should get near the frame rates you get when running FSX in Full Screen mode.

For those of you running Vista (and I know that this is going to sound crazy but I had a very knowledgeable addon developer advise me on this and it made a huge difference) - take a look at your start button. Do you see how the top part of the circle extends above the top edge of the task bar? When you resize the FSX Window, make sure the bottom edge does not touch the top of the Vista Start Button. This simple solution made my frame rates go from 10-12FPS to 30+ with sliders all the way to the right (using default scenery and aircraft). I saw little to no drop in frames with an addon aircraft (one of the more sophisticated ones). I was even able to run addon scenery and still keep frame rates relatively high (performance would have been better if I had moved the sliders a bit to the left).

Give this a try and see if it doesn't make a difference for you.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Phillip Levy 1086899
Posted
Posted

This is my system:

HP with AMD phenom core X3 8450 Triple Core

NVIDIA Geforce 6150 SE Graphics Card

4 gigs of Ram

Erhan, I was wondering if maybe you could email on how to turn my Anti-Aliasing on through my nvidia card(if i can with my current card).

I currently have my FPS locked at unlimited...I honestly don't know enough about the whole graphics/fps to manipulate it the way I'd like. I usually just turn things down.

See you in the virtual sky ,

Phillip Levy

1000.png96.png