You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC Airspace

Reece Fischell 938366

Reece Fischell 938366
Posted
Posted

Hello im new to Vatsim and im sure the answer is hanging around these forums somewhere but i would like to know when an ATC Center/Approach/Departure shows up on the squawk box for example im cruising IFR and get in range of Atlanta Center as im flying by on Unicom how do i know if i should contact the center or if im in his airspace? do you need to fly with maps and look for their airspace zone?

Or just contact them once in squawk box range?

SWA8486

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

You can obtain the enroute charts and certainly keep track of your position that way, however there are some easier ways.

You can download a program such as Servinfo, VRoute, VATSpy...I'm sure others can tell you of a few more, that will display your aircrafts position as well as online ATC. 'Tip: If you want a moving map it is only available as part of the Premium software for VRoute, but is free if you download Servinfo (not sure about VATSpy since I don't use it personaly.

You can also wait for a controller to send you a 'Please contact me on XXX.XX' message, which means that you have entered his/her airspace.

Clear as mud?

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].