You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to VATSIM

Alexander Alfonso 1099538

Posted
Posted

First off I would like to say I think this program is awesome, My Flight Sim 2004 was collecting dust before i heard about VATSIM, flying alone in agame isnt so much fun. Ive been glancing at the Pilot reference pages on proper phraseology so I am still learnin. I was wondering if there was anyone that might be able to tutor me in learning proper ATC protocol for requesting clearnances and whatnot, and perhaps some piloting skills and being able to manuever around the tarmac and lastly being able to file a proper flight report(I understand most of just the abbreviations for the Route and how I list it). my callsign is D2381, so if u happen to hear me on the radio, please go easy on me lol

Alex

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted

First of all - Welcome to Vatsim!

Most controllers are extremely willing to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist new pilots. That is one thing that you will find great about Vatsim.

As for pilot training, there are numerous ARTCC- and Division-sponsored training programs (ZLA has a popular one).

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Posted
Posted

Thank you, yes they are very helpful, I just feel that if I bother them with newbie questions it distracts them from their task. I will definately look into the training program you mentioned. I am more of a person that can learn someone by teachin rather than reading. I know now how to obtain a flightplan through MS2004 I just dont know which sections i list in my report and how to word it under the route section

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Welcome Alexander

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Tommy Rogers 971040
Posted
Posted

The best way to start off is sitting at a busy airport and observe communications for a bit. After you get a little flavor for it, go to a staffed, but not super busy airport and give it a go. I remember my 1st time it was aweful...but the controllers helped me and after 2-3 tried, I got it down pretty good and it only got better with time. The best thing you can do to make sure you have a successful first couple of flights is to pick a plane you know how to fly well. As a controller, that is what I'm more concerned about then proper phraseology. Can you fly an [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading, Hold an [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned altitude, can you fly a visual approach or an ILS? If you are able to do at least these basics, I think you're off to a good start for flying online. Another tip, is to make sure you have a s[Mod - lovely stuff] piece of paper, so you can write down your clearances if you can remember things that quick...I found myself doing this a lot at first, but after I learned the pattern, I knew what to expect and I found myself not having to do that after a bit. There is nothing wrong with putting "newbie" in your Comments as well.

The ZLA program is a great one...I'm only up to I-4 myself (need to do more just been busy )

Hope this helps a little. Welcome to VATSIM!!!

Tommy Rogers, C-3

ZMA Controller

Vatsim Supervisor

Posted
Posted

thank you for the advice any bit of it helps, I noticed that there are websites that have extra planes to download for FS2004, will these be compatible with VATSIM? or should I not bother, I dont want to put anything in the FS folders that might mess things up

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Many of us use add-on aircraft. They're fine as long as they reasonably mimic real world performance for that type.

Things like the Starship Enterprise, etc. are not a good thing to use.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Tommy,

Check out the transcripts attached to each of the ratings in the ZLA Pilot Cert program. They contain sample conversations between pilots and ATC that will probably be very helpful for you, whether or not you actually attempt the ratings yourself.

Keith

Posted
Posted

lol star ship enterprise....do u have any links to trusted websites that have good plane add-ons, the few that ive tried so far are poorly made

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
lol star ship enterprise....do u have any links to trusted websites that have good plane add-ons, the few that ive tried so far are poorly made

What kind of aircraft are you looking for?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Posted
Posted

well really no preference just something different from the default aircraft, I like vintage planes and military aircraft

• 1 month later...
Andrew Lamarra 1104384
Posted
Posted

Speaking of downloading aircraft, do you guys know where I can get a DA20 for X-Plane? I already found a payware version for FSX.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

• 4 weeks later...
Andrew Quirion 919643
Posted
Posted
well really no preference just something different from the default aircraft, I like vintage planes and military aircraft

Generally, people fly commercial planes on VATSIM. And it seems like just starting out, handling a very realistic 737NG and trying to get your ATC procedures right may be a tad much for now. I would suggest "The 737 experience" from www.avsim.net. It's freeware but it's really high quality for freeware. And sitting at a staffed, fairly busy airport just listening and watching planes is a great idea. Try to get a feel for talking with them so you don't get the very common real-world "Mic Fright". I hope this has helped. Further questions? Feel free to send me a PM on these forums. :]

3712.png

Andrew Quirion ||FSX BUILD

8 GB XMS Corsair RAM

ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti PCI GFX

1T HD

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.8 GHz CPU

750W Power Supply