You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New system build. . .

Josh Hjemvick 811983

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

I've been out of the flight simulation / VATSIM world for a few years now. Primarily because my current system just wasn't operating in a fashion that I enjoyed.

With that being said, and mounting frustration due to various hardware issues that are still unresolved, combined with the fact that this system is going on about 4 1/2 years old. . .I've made the decision to stimulate the global technology economy and build a new system.

Any comments / input would be helpful, specifically how Windows Vista 64 deals with FS9 or FSX, or any other conflicts related to VATSIM software.

Thanks guys.

Components are as follows:

CPU: i7 920

Mobo: MSI X58 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb)

Video: Sapphire Radeon 4850

HDD: WD 320gb 16mb cache

Power:450W PSU from Corsair - Combo with case deal

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 case

Optical: ASUS 22x DVD Burner

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Can you pay a little extra to push the PSU higher? I have a 550w and need more power. Once you've powered up that hot[Mod - lovely stuff] video card, you may find you need more power connectors pretty fast.

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I actually did end up bumping it up.

Here were the final pieces.

i7 920

MSI X58 Pro mobo

Crucial 6GB (3 x2gb) DDR3 1066

WD 500gb Caviar

Sapphire 4850 512mb

CoolerMaster 330 case

OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU

Lite-On DVD Burner

More memory, more HDD space, larger PSU. All under my $1000 budget.

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Reading up on FSX and LDS767 though, sounds complicated to get it to work.

That, and Activesky and the FSUIPC. Man, been out of this a while.

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Josh,

Long time. Good to see you back.

Honestly, with that system, I'd stick to FS9. Purely because of add on availability. You can always switch to FSX at a later date when the number of add ons increase, but with the amount of enhancements you can get for FS9 and with the rig you'll be running, you should get some brilliant results. Due to the fact that FSX was mainly environmental enhancements, a fully loaded FS9 will look just as good and may be more stable on VATSIM. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure someone else can give you the other side of the coin.

Don't forget to buy a registered copy of FSUIPC. Makes the world of a difference.

Cheers!

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Thanks Paul, good to see you again as well.

I most likely will stick with FS9 to be honest.

I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC, just concerned that it won't carry over to a Vista 64 system. Or, is that a silly notion that I shouldn't be worried about?

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC, just concerned that it won't carry over to a Vista 64 system. Or, is that a silly notion that I shouldn't be worried about?

Why wouldn't it? Just make sure you copy over the FSUIPC.KEY file, or re-enter your registration data.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

• 3 months later...
dave schunk 996646
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't go with Vista...XP is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Stevens 1116018
Posted
Posted

Anyone know how the new Windows 7 operating system will cooperate FSX? Supposedly Microsoft was suppesed to learn a lesson from Vista and get it right this time. On my own system build I'll be having 64 bit Vista Home Premium, and purchase an "upgrade" (cheaper than buying independently) to windows 7. Will it be worth it?

dave schunk 996646
Posted
Posted

I would say. It is suppose to be powerful, and reliable this time

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I would say. It is suppose to be powerful, and reliable this time

Aren't they all?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
Thanks Paul, good to see you again as well.

I most likely will stick with FS9 to be honest.

josh

you have spent your hard earned dollars on some of the best components that money can buy and you say your going to stick with FS9, might as well found an old 486 based machine on a dump and use that for FS9. You are just wasting all that power, FSX will run perfectly well on that setup and FSinn FSUIPC and all the other payware you care to mention. I kid you not, my machine is no where near that spec but built for VISTA and FSX and I have no problems whatsoever.

Have a look at some of the imaages in the screen shots forum and you will see what i mean.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks