You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Do You Fly...

Richard Jenkins

Do you fly online with an aircraft that uses a flight management system (FMS)  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly online with an aircraft that uses a flight management system (FMS)

• Always
    • Most of the time
    • Sometimes
    • Almost never
    • Never
    • Never heard of FMS

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted (edited)

σας ευχαÏ

Edited by Guest

RJ

Shane Colgan 910394
Posted
Posted (edited)

-

Edited by Guest

Johan Dees 843116
Posted
Posted

Did it with a Lockheed Constellation, and was awesome, will do it again. Beware!!

A LITTLE LESS CONVERSTATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I had to select "Most of the Time" because it's more than sometimes, but realistically it's about 50% of the time. Most of my "Heavy" flying is in the PMDG or LevelD so in that respect it's most of the time, but my other half is spent in Cessna's

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Matt Stagg 900323
Posted
Posted

I just fly the PMDG 737NG and a C172 which has no autopilot and GPS. and i may now and then fly a different type of aircrraft

Matt Stagg

Boeing 737NG Pilot

VOZ Virtual

9116.png

Aaron Crawley 935316
Posted
Posted

I do both. After getting used to manipulating the GPS for so long prior to PMDG and LDS, Both are just as fun.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

I used to fly on Satco with PIC767, naturally now I fly LDS767 and PMDG737 as well.

That said I like a fair bit of General Aviation stuff also, so flying around in the Flight1 C172R, and PC12 is also quite common for me into and out of small GA airports and uncontrolled remote airports, or just flying VFR out of smaller GAAP's and CTAF's doing circuits, area navs, and other fun stuff.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Michael Hermes 893329
Posted
Posted

Doing IFR with PMDG B738 / F1-ATR. Sometimes even with PMDG B1900. Also doing some VFR flying with F1-C172, F1-PA28, PMDG B1900 and the good old FS BE58 . Just to make sure not to forget how to fly by all that button pushing in an FMS I try to make a good mix between them.

Michael Hermes

Vatsim Instructor

Vatsim supervisor

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

Yes my number one joice of aircraft when wanting to do an IFR flight is the PMDG 737NG - but when I am feeling like doing some VFR short flights I picked my Carenado C182R (the virtual cockpit in that thing is amazing).

pilot.gif

3712.png

Anthony Cruz 834373
Posted
Posted

I never fly anything other then my PSS Airbus' have the entire series A319-A343 so no matter what type of flight my airbus' have me covered. couple them with the great ATC here and it is truely a work of art!

1228.png

Chuck Blake 811841
Posted
Posted

I fly almost exclusively with FMC-equipped aircraft, though on occasion, I will fly the HJG DC-8 or the RFP 747. When I'm feeling in the mood for GA or executive flying, I'll use Eaglesoft's aircraft, none of which have a full-functioning FMC. When this happens, I'll use FSNav for the LNAV and some VNAV, though that's mostly figured out by me. If I fly small GA or VFR, it's just me and the aircraft and some charts.

Chuck Blake

Scott Barnes 937150
Posted
Posted

I've been flying the PSS Dash-8 quite a bit (doesn't have VNAV enabled sadly) with it's FMS and I really enjoy that aircraft. PMDG 737NG (heavy FMC use), Eaglesoft CitationX (simplified FMS unfortunately). Other than that I fly California Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ics DC-6B, David Maltby's Trident (for anyone who hasn't tried this, your really should give this a go, it's truly the best payware airliner I've ever flown) which is steam gauges and VOR, NDB, with an awesome autopilot and autoland capabilities which I never use. Takes the piloting out of flying in mine and only mine opinion. Samdims Tu-114 is another fantastic freeware aircraft that is head and shoulders above the rest of the freeware airliners with David Maltby's Trident. The last three are obviously non-computerized aircraft and there is a great deal of satisfaction to be derived from navigating and flight planning without the aid of the FMC/FMS.

Scott Barnes 937150
Posted
Posted

Should amend my last post. David Maltby's Trident is freeware! It could easily be payware, it's that good!

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
σας ευχαÏ

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Johan Dees 843116
Posted
Posted

Also discovered the fun of the 707's from HJG.

Thats another piece of cake, since it uses with a good panel INS, and NO FMC.

It makes the flying much more fun and less dull. Also for the controllers I must say, not easy to direct to intersections with such plane.

A LITTLE LESS CONVERSTATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

flying DC8 with INS only,

ocasionaly 727 with ins,

and very rarely A320,if i don't want to plan everything.

Johan,if you have en route charts or fsnav,

you can quickly look up the coordinates for the intersection

the controller wants you to fly to,

failing that,try the mapview in fs,that may work too,

but not all waypoints are there.

and it always pays to plan well,too

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif