You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Booking list

Chris Thomas 959675

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

As I say I am only posing questions and opening up a debate, perhaps the melodrama is for effect.

Thank you for your response, I await further comment from the community.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

RTS's aren't competing against each other. NRTS didn't set up a TS server and forum so we could get ahead of other RTS's. NRTS did this because we wanted to continue on with normal operations. Mentoring doesn't have to be recorded via the RTS system for it to be official, I am training for my TWR exam and myself and Callum logged on for a few hours so he could watch over me and pick up on my mistakes so I improve towards the exam. At the end we de-brief as there is no mentoring report so the trainee knows where they have gone wrong.

I think bringing Star Wars and Zimbabwe into this is a tad over-exagerated, we are just minding our own business continuing on with normal operations just without the UK server.

Vatsim Germany | S2 | Düsseldorf RG | Köln

Alexander Jefferies 945991
Posted
Posted

I think alot of people are getting very excited here... We managed for a very long time without any sort of RTS System... although it is a very useful [Mod - Happy Thoughts]et which is down at the moment there is no reason why mentoring and normal activities cannot be conducted and organised locally. We still all follow Divisonal Policy and Global Policy so what is the deal? It's not RTS against RTS here...

Just be patient and things will return to normal... for those within my RTS and looking for mentoring either corner your regular mentor and organise it with them or email me at alexanderjefferies[at]googlemail.com and I will be able to sort you out with something.

Alex Jefferies

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM-UK

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM United Kingdom

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

So, does this mean that all mentoring is over the shoulder, and as we follow vmats for mentoring sessions as long as that rule of thumb is followed all will be well.

I take the point that there are no set number of mentoring sessions. Ergo we can continue to mentor in line with the GRP.

The only issue as i see it is in relation to exams etc, at present, correct me if I am wrong but we could still conduct them under present rules but not update a students status.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Posted
Posted

I am not really in a position to comment on exams because I am not part of the exams team but the reason that that particular students OBS>S1 exam was delayed was due to quite a few of our servers, which are now back online, being out of action. As far as I know these are back online but am unaware at the present moment of what the procedure is. New OBS>S1 p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es will have to wait as the RTSMs currently have no way of knowing who is in the queue as this was a function of the RTS System.

I am in the process of getting an interim solution ready for the SW which should be online during the course of this week which should solve the problems of mentoring and I shall keep this running until the RTS System is back online.

Mentoring will be conducted as normal, with notes being made by the mentor and a thorough debrief using these notes at the end. However at the moment there is sadly no log of this session so I would encourage my mentors to keep records of students sessions so that you can keep track of their progress in the interim.

Everyone is working hard to get the VATUK systems back online as soon as possible, members will have to put up with some disruption during this difficult time. Please be patient and be thankful that you can still connect and control/fly

Alex Jefferies

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM-UK

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM United Kingdom

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mentoring is not, and should not be dependent on a piece of database software. The only issue is that we cannot currently enter data into a centralised system, but that's not the point of mentoring. We have been given the go ahead to mentor, and have had the forum approved by those on the VATUK staff.

It is not Northern's fault that we've managed to struggle through and keep operating under what have been testing circomestances.

I'll be perfectly blunt with you, Wycliffe, your post reeks of resentment and envy.

Edited by Guest

Posted
Posted

Callum,

I hate to point out that your post has done nothing to help smooth over the situation. Here we are trying to make the point that RTSs aren't in competition and you come up with 'It's not Northern's fault....'. Seriously guys, drop the issue now otherwise you're all going to end up looking very childish indeed. Northern is managing that's great, I see no reason for Wycliffe to be jealous of a forum and to make accusations like this really does highlight a rather disappointing attitude.

The purpose of this thread was to discuss how bookings were going to be managed, either get back on topic or leave it alone - your choice.

Alex Jefferies

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM-UK

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM United Kingdom

Zafar Ballard 1021575
Posted
Posted

I'm sure you can see why Callum responded in the way he did to that post- it does sound, to me at least, to be saying that it's unfair Northern is doing something about the situation.

Anyway, back on topic, is there any news on how OBS->STU rating changes will happen, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that our beloved RTS system will not return in a while, it would be useful to know if/what is in the works.

generate.php?cid=1021575

0.png

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Lets get back to what we are here for, whether it be controlling or flying

Blue Skies..

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Callum McLoughlin
Posted
Posted
I hate to point out that your post has done nothing to help smooth over the situation. Here we are trying to make the point that RTSs aren't in competition and you come up with 'It's not Northern's fault....'.

I would like to apologise if I have disrupted "progress" here with my comment, it was not the intention of my post at all. Barrie and us mentors have been working very, very, very hard to keep things moving at a reasonable pace, and I felt quite insulted by what was being suggested; hence, my less than diplomatic post.

Posted
Posted

Callum,

Completely understood and appreciated, I just didn't want to see this thread go downhill as it's very easy to do! Glad to see that Northern had a backup plan!

Alex

South West RTS Manager

VATSIM United Kingdom