You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How Strange

Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I have soken to a few people thispast week who are grieving over the loss of VATSIM UK and the UK related forums.

I keep getting told there is nowhere to have a good old gossip.

Whats wrong with VATSIM.net and the UK board, perhaps they don't know about it. How odd.

Mind you one thing I have noticed browsing VATSIM.net this week is the number of people who have been members for quite sometime and have never used the forums at all.

Just shows that the forums are used by a very small minority of the VATSIM membership.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

This does raise a smile, you seem to be recovering well Wycliffe or is there something your not telling us, brave man.

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Dave Bird 844819
Posted
Posted

Wycliffe,

Have a look at the General Discussion Forum and the sticky at the top of this forum.

Appears there has been a bit of an "attack" on Vatsim.

The latest post re VatsimUK says 24/48 hrs but we will have to wait and see.

Dave Bird 844819
Posted
Posted

"Mind you one thing I have noticed browsing VATSIM.net this week is the number of people who have been members for quite sometime and have never used the forums at all."

Not good Wycliffe..some of us "old uns" browse to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the the time away and/or pick up relevent information.

With the exception of this and my previous post I cannot remember the last time I posted on here...but then again, as I said, I use this board for browsing/information only.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

David

I am well aware of the attack. Good to see your still alive and kicking by the way.

Whenever I see your name I can't help thinking of Dicky Bird that famous cricketer and cricket commentator.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Dave Bird 844819
Posted
Posted

Wycliffe,

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about cricket but I have heard of Dickie Bird.

If the pc repair guru to whom I'm currently paying a small fortune turns up on time today I'll be back online soon and will be into/out of Cardiff with my PMDG Queen.

By the way, if you've ever heard of Abertillery....I was born there but that was in the the days when Alan Pask/Hayden Morgan etc used to play for Wales. Just before I left GWC (God's Wonderful Country) I remember the Pontypool front row were in the Welsh team and were unbeatable !! Many a happy day spent in the Taff End at Cardiff Arms Park.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I have to admit to only living in cardiff sine 1981 so still a little bit of a stranger.

I have to agree with you in regards GWC and I have found the Welsh to be much like my own kinsfolk from that other part of GWC Lancashire. As for the Rugby the present Six Nations Campaign ha snot been as exciting to watch as in previous years something has gone wrong with the Welsh this year.

Yes they are still winning but the sparkle and dare I say it, the "sexy" rugby is missing this year. Mind you it's no surprise when the Welsh wizard Shane Williams get's jumped on as soon as he gets the ball.

All the best

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
Whenever I see your name I can't help thinking of Dicky Bird that famous cricketer and cricket commentator.

Ahem, Dicky Bird was a relatively minor cricketer (played league cricket with Michael Parkinson as it happens) but a famous cricket UMPIRE.

Bill Casey

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

I don't think Wick wouldn have p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed the cricket test.

btw have you heard Dickie Bird reaidng his own autobiography? It's dreadful! He should stick to umpiring

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

My cricket knowledge is poor I will admit, but i used to know a DJ in the northwest of england, thats lancashire to the unitiated, called Dicky Bird.

Phew chicken fied rice and a bottle of Merlot plays havoc with ones typing skills.

Or should isay one';s ability to ean the monitor.

W

atc5o.png

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Phew chicken fied rice and a bottle of Merlot plays havoc with ones typing skills.

Or should isay one';s ability to ean the monitor.

W

You have been at the bottle Wycliffe, did you save us any

Matt Booker

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

In reponse to Wycliffe's original question...anyone noticed that this whole message is populated almost exclusively by the EGFF regulars?

Ian

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

good Morning

I wouldl like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour late last night after the chicken fried rice and bottle of Merlot.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and clearly attempting to type or even think logically at midnight when feeling slightly tipsy is not a good idea.

Wycliffe

Edited by Guest

atc5o.png

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
btw have you heard Dickie Bird reaidng his own autobiography? It's dreadful! He should stick to umpiring

I havn't but I did go to "An Evening with .." and he was very good value for money. Some wonderful stories from back over the years plus an excellent Q&A session, perhaps one for the dedicated cricket fan though. If you want scarily hilarious then an evening with Phil Tufnell is more the ticket, just beware the morning after, I speak from several experiences of his "enthusiasm" when it comes to the bottle! Notably one evening in a bar in a backstreet of Knysna (SA) when he had us piling down rather too many of a local cocktail called a "Township Toilet", nuff said.

So, back on topic, how's Wycliffe's head this morning?

Bill Casey

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

So, back on topic, how's Wycliffe's head this morning?

In response to Mr Casey's question, Wycliffe's head is no doubt ''Banging''

He is still showing the symptoms of a wreckless night on the tiles judging by his terrible grammar and poor use of the queens english.

Matt Booker

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

He is still showing the symptoms of a wreckless night on the tiles judging by his terrible grammar and poor use of the queens english.

I hope the smiley refers to your forgetting that (sic) "queens" should be in the singular genetive, ie: "Queen's", rather than your grammatically incorrect plural form. In fact you should write "The Queen's English" with capitalisation to refer to the royal aspects of such a term.

Ian

ps: If you want grammatical surreality, I'm correcting a paper at the moment written in english by a collaboration of a welshman, a finn and a russian that has grammatical correction suggested by two non-native speakers of english and obviously don't undertstand the finer points of the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive voice in english...and at least two of us have studies linguistics just to make it all the more fun...

pps: are we ever going to talk about controlling and flying here? Do you honestly believe the vatsim.net forums are ready for the UK vatsim forum style of discussion and endless jokes about landing gear and runways?

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

I hope the smiley refers to your forgetting that (sic) "queens" should be in the singular genetive, ie: "Queen's", rather than your grammatically incorrect plural form. In fact you should write "The Queen's English" with capitalisation to refer to the royal aspects of such a term.

Ian

ps: If you want grammatical surreality, I'm correcting a paper at the moment written in english by a collaboration of a welshman, a finn and a russian that has grammatical correction suggested by two non-native speakers of english and obviously don't undertstand the finer points of the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive voice in english...and at least two of us have studies linguistics just to make it all the more fun...

pps: are we ever going to talk about controlling and flying here? Do you honestly believe the vatsim.net forums are ready for the UK vatsim forum style of discussion and endless jokes about landing gear and runways?

God help us, this thread is turning Essex.... (Runs away)

Matt Booker

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Vatsim.net will never be able to keep up with some of our more esoteric discussion's so we might aswell not bother even worrying about it, and just get on with them.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Impossible. Not without someone saying "We're madder than that in Gibraltar, we stay up late at night eating biscuits"

Bill Casey

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

Impossible. Not without someone saying "We're madder than that in Gibraltar, we stay up late at night eating biscuits"

"We're madder than that in Gibraltar, we stay up late at night eating biscuits"

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
"We're madder than that in Gibraltar, we stay up late at night eating biscuits"

I trust you're not referring to Club "biscuits" there, Ian, since this debate was held in Essex and I believe the concensus was that a Club is a chocolate bar and not a biscuit (despite Jacob's taking it to the European Court of Human Get-out Clauses).

Bill Casey

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Mr Casey

I will have to beg to differ, The Club has always been refered to as a Club Biscuit, not a Club Chocolate Bar, indeed if one looks at the construction of said Club, one will find that the interior is indeed of a biscuit-y consistency.

ergo

The Club could quite possibly be called a Club Chocolate Covered Biscuit. I suppose a true acid test would be to see which is the greater ingredient, chocolate or biscuit.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Let's please get the discussions back to something re: VATSIM and flight simulation.

Thanks.

Dave

Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted
Let's please get the discussions back to something re: VATSIM and flight simulation.

Thanks.

Dave

THANK YOU...I think Dave should be a moderator in the UK forums when they are back up!

atc1o.png

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

Dave

THANK YOU...I think Dave should be a moderator in the UK forums when they are back up!

In particular the Essex RTS

Matt Booker