You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC air-ground & ground-ground comms mutually exclusive?

Karl Kornel 964857

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hello Euroscope users! I am a new Euroscope user, and have come across some behavior that I do not currently understand. I see that Euroscope seems to support having a ground-to-ground call (intercom or override) while talking to the pilots at the sane time, which is nice. I also see that it is easier to listen to another controller's frequency, which is also nice! However, it looks like the two are mutually-exclusive. In other words, it seems like, if another ATC is listening to my voice channel (not monitoring), I can not talk to him over ground-to-ground.

Here is what I've done to come across this weirdness: In all of the information below, I am CMH_APP, and two other vZID controllers (an S3 and a C1) are DAY_APP and ZID_OBS.

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions:

A) You have two controllers. You are CMH_APP; the other controller is DAY_APP. You also have an observer, ZID_OBS.

B) CMH_APP and DAY_APP are online, with primary frequencies set, and voice rooms open. ZID_OBS is also online, but does not have any primary frequencies set, and is not in any voice rooms.

C) Both controllers, and the observer, are displaying the controller list (showing all controllers) and voice room list.

D) Both controllers are using different keys for primary and secondary push-to-talk.

E) Both controllers, and the observer, are using TeamSpeak as an alternate comms. channel.

F) All three controllers are using Euroscope 3.0a.

First, we confirm that ground-to-ground comms are working.

1) CMH_APP calls DAY_APP via intercom.

2) DAY_APP accepts intercom call.

3) CMH_APP holds primary push-to-talk key and says "Primary push-to-talk, transmitting".

4) CMH_APP holds secondary push-to-talk key and says "Secondary push-to-talk, transmitting".

5) DAY_APP reports, via TeamSpeak, hearing the secondary message, but not the primary message.

6) CMH_APP ends the intercom call.

Next, we confirm that air-to-ground comms are working

7) DAY_APP right-clicks on CMH_APP's entry in the controller list, and chooses "Listen to Frequency". CMH_APP verifies that DAY_APP is in the voice room.

CMH_APP holds primary push-to-talk key and says "Primary push-to-talk, transmitting".

9) DAY_APP reports, via TeamSpeak, hearing the primary message.

Finally, we try to do a ground-to-ground call while DAY_APP is still listening to CMH_APP on air-to-ground

10) CMH_APP calls DAY_APP via intercom.

11) DAY_APP accepts intercom call.

12) CMH_APP holds primary push-to-talk key and says "Primary push-to-talk, transmitting".

13) CMH_APP holds secondary push-to-talk key and says "Secondary push-to-talk, transmitting".

14) DAY_APP reports, via TeamSpeak, hearing the primary message, but not the secondary message.

Finally, we try adding a third-party observer to the mix.

15) ZID_OBS right-clicks on CMH_APP's entry in the controller list, and chooses "Listen to Frequency". CMH_APP verifies that DAY_APP and ZID_OBS are in the voice room.

16) CMH_APP calls DAY_APP via intercom.

17) DAY_APP accepts intercom call.

18) CMH_APP holds primary push-to-talk key and says "Primary push-to-talk, transmitting".

19) CMH_APP holds secondary push-to-talk key and says "Secondary push-to-talk, transmitting".

20) Both DAY_APP and ZID_OBS report, via TeamSpeak, hearing the primary message, but not the secondary message.

Steps 14 and 20 reveal the problem I'm having.

*) In Step 14, I expect DAY_APP to say that he heard both the primary and secondary messages. What actually happens is, DAY_APP reports hearing only the primary message.

*) In Step 20, I expect DAY_APP to say that he heard both the primary and secondary messages, and I expect ZID_OBS to say that he heard only the primary message. What actually happens is, both DAY_APP and ZID_OBS report hearing only the primary message.

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Karl,

Thx for the detailed description. It took a while for me to understand it clearly. And I am sure it will take also some time to check it. I will report.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer