You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Instructor

Dennis Stanek 876522

Dennis Stanek 876522
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is the proper venue to post this, however, it's been over 3 months now! I applied for Instructor status on VATUSA, ZME artcc sometime in April, and not heard one word back. After multiple conversations with the Chief, and as of last week, there still was no request for a Letter of Reccomendation. I have written the individual who is head of this division, with no reply. At this point in time, what should be done? I do realize that the instructor to student ratio is one determining factor in the approval process. I would not have applied without the approval of the Chief, and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant Chief.

In the application process, it states that "it is not an overnight process". Which makes sense. It was important to me not to bother or be meddelsome. However, should I have been at least afforded a "application under review or denial letter? If anyone in the know can help me, I would sincerly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Dennis

216.png

ZME ATC/I-1

683.png

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted

You or your Chief should definitely have heard something back by now. Have your Chief e-mail VATUSA3. I've never heard of an Instructor application taking more than a couple of weeks.

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

I've been told that INS on the ARTCC level is up to the discretion of the Chief Ins and the facility Chief. I could be wrong, but thats the information I've been told.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
You or your Chief should definitely have heard something back by now. Have your Chief e-mail VATUSA3. I've never heard of an Instructor application taking more than a couple of weeks.

I've got another one as well in this situation...the VATUSA guidelines state that the applicants must apply on the website first, then the VATUSA TD will email the Chief for recommendation. I've not heard a peep. If I can up someone to an instructor without having to do that, I surely will, but I'll wait for the official word before doing so. I've emailed Fax and have heard nothing back about it.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Dennis Stanek 876522
Posted
Posted

That is the exact same step I took. Applied online. And there is an Instructor exam that must be taken, however, can't even get to that step. I do appreciate your responses. Any other advice?

Dennis

216.png

ZME ATC/I-1

683.png

Jason Sutton 879715
Posted
Posted

Its possible that Fax might be out of town or something. In that case I'd email either Dane or Craig to see if there is something they can do for you in the meantime. Hopefully it will all work out for you soon.

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

The Chief and Chief Instructor appoint instructors to the ARTCC. Thats straight from USA3's mouth. So your Chief, who should have read the email from VATUSA3, can go ahead and get your rating adjusted.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Dennis Stanek 876522
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info Fred. I didn't know it was that easy. I'll let the Chief know. Thanks again!

Dennis

216.png

ZME ATC/I-1

683.png

Logan Gloss-Ivory 812647
Posted
Posted

Quick note, I've been under the impression that the INS Application for VATUSA (http://vatusa.org/training/instructors) is no longer valid, if this is the case it should be removed so that this can be delt with on a local matter (within the ARTCC) instead as a divisional (VATUSA).

Logan Gloss

Steve Ogrodowski 876322
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info Fred. I didn't know it was that easy. I'll let the Chief know. Thanks again!

Up until this last week, it wasn't that easy . Thanks Fred for checking on that. It was just in the last two weeks that Fax officially switched to this new system for Instructor Promotion. Rather than use the VATUSA system and be approved by Fax, Instructors can be dealt with in-house now, just like any other controller promotion. The Chief and Chief Instructor still approve everything and get the new Instructor set up with his rating, the website, and forums, it's just that the process can be much quicker now and doesn't have to go through Fax.

I was only just informed of this procedure change just under a week ago by our Chief.

Also, Fax will be eliminating the I-3 level Instructor promotions (Senior Instructor). All new Chief Instructors will be that in title, and remain I-1 level; no one else from this point on will be promoted to I-3 in the US. Anyone who already is an I-3 level will retain it though until they step down from their CI duties.

-Steve Ogrodowski

ZOB Chief Instructor

Steve Ogrodowski