You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Come fly with me..

Mike Evans

Mike Evans
Posted
Posted

Welcome!

The purpose of this sub forum is to allow members to plan impulsive flights (or otherwise) with other members...

If you're bored, and want to do a short hop,a long haul, or something in between, but don't want to go it alone, post here, and see if anyone else wants to fly too!

See http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40044 for the original idea!

Mike Evans

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

And please remove my reply if I'm not allowed to write here...

But, it could also be used to request ATC FOR that group flight for example, or if you're flying on your own and you'd like some company, just post here ! (Yes? No?)

New York ARTCC

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Mike ... one word: SWEET!!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted
And please remove my reply if I'm not allowed to write here...

But, it could also be used to request ATC FOR that group flight for example, or if you're flying on your own and you'd like some company, just post here ! (Yes? No?)

Request ATC with the appropriate facility that you will be flying in. You should contact them directly.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Request ATC with the appropriate facility that you will be flying in. You should contact them directly.

I don't think it's all that bad of an idea to use the forums to request ATC. Having a single means to request ATC regardless of the ARTCC/FIR is certainly easier than having to determine the appropriate web form or email address to request ATC with the ARTCC/FIR directly.

That being said, I think if this forum becomes widely used, controllers will monitor it in order to see when and where they might plug in.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

great way to get those minor airports staffed altho controllers should be aware of where theyre allowed to staff, dont think we want rogue controllers roamin around

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

I don't think it's all that bad of an idea to use the forums to request ATC. Having a single means to request ATC regardless of the ARTCC/FIR is certainly easier than having to determine the appropriate web form or email address to request ATC with the ARTCC/FIR directly.

That being said, I think if this forum becomes widely used, controllers will monitor it in order to see when and where they might plug in.

You're right, if this picks up. I just don't see the entire world full of ATC looking at this forum to see if anyone will be flying in. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I just don't see the entire world full of ATC looking at this forum to see if anyone will be flying in.

Agreed ... the chances are quite small. I check the "view new posts" link whenever I sit down at a computer, so I'll definitely see if any impromptu fly-ins are heading towards my ARTCC ... but I imagine I'm in the minority in that regard.

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Agreed ... the chances are quite small. I check the "view new posts" link whenever I sit down at a computer, so I'll definitely see if any impromptu fly-ins are heading towards my ARTCC ... but I imagine I'm in the minority in that regard.

Hehe, that makes two of us Ross

New York ARTCC

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

I think it would be worth while having a thread-title format for this forum, Just like the Fly-In's one, so people can see at a glance time, date and airports suggested. With more detail in the thread, obviously.

My 2 cents.

8751.png

Ricardo Blunda 1090955
Posted
Posted

Mike: sweeeeeet

Ross: I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it will be the other way around in that people looking to fly together will perhaps prefer to do so with ATC while on VATSIM anyway.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Ross: I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume it will be the other way around in that people looking to fly together will perhaps prefer to do so with ATC while on VATSIM anyway.

Both, probably ... there are plenty of people for whom ATC coverage of their flight is just a bonus, and they choose the location of their flight based on other things such as real world routes for their VA, interesting airports or approaches etc. And then there is the other group of people who choose their flight based on ATC coverage.

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Nice idea, looks like it will be especially handy for people wanting some company on their long hauls!

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Colm Fitzgerald 1037650
Posted
Posted

Great idea!

Mitchell Sale 1093858
Posted
Posted

great idea!

mitchell.png

Thomas Reid 1073761
Posted
Posted

I agree with what Ross and many other people brought up. I'm not high enough in the ranks to work things like approach or Center, so I can only provide airport services to pilots. Most of the time, working a smaller airport results in very little traffic, but if I saw a post saying: "5 pilots from ______ will be flying into KALB today. We do not need ATC, but we would love to have it!" I would not mind opening a tower for a bit.

But that is a topic for another post.

I really like the idea of the "Come fly with me..." forum!

1073761.png

Thomas Reid

vZBW S2

AvA pilot

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Good idea guys-

One of the best things of flying on Vatsim is flying with other pilots. However, one of the hurdles is actually getting the new guys off the ground. I have been helping a new pilot about every other night (thanks to the smaller airports for the atc support) and find that these new pilots like the small airports with very little traffic. Who could blame them? I was the same way back in the day.

With the given group of guys that I have been helping recently we have been kicking around the idea of http://www.FSFlightclub.com. As you can see it's just a place holder for now since my skills in php / mysql lack severely to do the things that I think new members would benefit from.

But the point is the same, gather the pilots - like-minded serious serious simmers and mash them with the new guys and populate the network. One of the reoccurring events we would like to have is a "New Pilot Night Out". We will keep our ears tuned to this thread to find the airport that will be staffed regionally and go fly there. It would be great if there were a couple ATC guys who wouldn't mind staffing a field and helping on request. Why sit and wait a Kxxx with 1 plane every 3 hours when you can hit a requested location and had 5 new guys doing everything incorrectly

I am taking my queues from other online MMOs. If you guys have played any of them, you know there is a "training ground" and that's the one thing that would really help the new pilots here. You fly around, learn the ropes and when you are ready to venture out - you can do it. There needs to be a place some where they can get their feet wet, make mistakes, ask question and not be disruptive to the guys landing on 25R.

Glad to see this new sub-forum and I look forward to joining in on some flights.

(... now if only there would be a nice, cohesive,current and graphical Vatsim calendar of events...that would be so nice....)

Safe landings-

Benjamin.

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

Posting for ATC is a fantastic Idea, personally, I dislike opening EGBB_TWR, because although, yes, there is traffic it's too few and far between! I would absolutely love to open the position if I found that a number of pilots were planning to fly in around the same time!

8751.png

Ricardo Blunda 1090955
Posted
Posted

Erm...sorry for my own personal absense, heh. Weekday evenings are usually tight and I only manage the odd "15-min in between cooking this and that"-flights. I'm planning to ask around for company this weekend, hopefully! I basically (almost) only fly GA-planes, but who knows?

Sam Cowan 979498
Posted
Posted

...in lama land, there's a one man band and he'll toot his flute for you! come fly with me let's takeoff, into the blue...

Sam

bannercopy.jpg

Ah, Windows: An operating system that makes you shut your computer off by clicking a button marked "Start"

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted

I just got on this thing and finally got it to work at least. I have teamspeak. So do you guys just ever start teamspeak sometime to ever have a community chat? Something like this forum but on the TS program without actually starting flight simulator. I might not be able to get Fsinn to work but maybe I could pick up some tips that way. Teamspeak has the usual name that you provide and I'd like to get on that just to lsten in if I can't fly.

=RoCk= pinkblink.gif

http://www.ambestsquad.com

rocksalot.png

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted

Could it be used for ATC to post their availabilities (in non-fly-in instances) so pilots that could be looking for ATC (or ATC looking for other ATC to hand off) be actually able to find them?

At least pilots won't have to look through dozens of FIRs/ARTCCs to find the ATC slots they want.

Regards,

Yvan Ung

Come pilot the longest and sharpest flying pencils of the online world!

China Eastern Virtual

Matt Bromback
Posted
Posted

Great idea guys...this should be a nice addition to the forums!

Thanks!

Matt Bromback

Air Traffic Manager

N[Mod - Happy Thoughts]au FIR

Benjamin Van Eps 987241
Posted
Posted

Even a simple private channel on FSInn works well. I am not certain how many slots there are but I have had 4-5 guys on a quick private channel and it worked great. Although, too much talking and you can't hear the tower callin'

Benjamin.

FSE.gif

ASUS P8P67 Pro | 2600k @ 4.7 | eVGA 460 GTX | 8 GB RipJaw | Matrox 3H2Go