You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mike Langhan

Alan Taylor 825557

Alan Taylor 825557
Posted
Posted

It is with great sadness that I report to the FS community that VATCAN received an email from Mike's wife, Irene informing us of his p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing away on May 3, 2009. Our sympathies, best wishes and prayers go out to Mike's family at this time.

Mike had been a long time online flightsimmer who was very active in VATCAN and indeed VATSIM, he will be greatly missed...Blue Skies, Mike and thanks for all the knowledge and friendship over these past few years.

VATCAN1

Director, VATSIM - Canada Division

Vancouver,B.C. - YVR

825557.jpg

atc1o.png

VATSIM Supervisor

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

RIP, Mike. You will be missed.

My prayers and thoughts to his family and friends.

Joshua Black

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

Blue Skies Mike, and my prayers go out to his family. A very sad day and a huge loss for our community.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

my thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones,

r.i.p Mike.

f1cert.gif

Matt Booker
Posted
Posted

A very sad day indeed for the Flight Sim Community - Thoughts are with Irene and the Family, RIP Mike

Matt Booker
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 2 Lead

unnamed.png.9c373918856698c30d9103fb632eabff.png[email protected]

Dan Arsenault 949706
Posted
Posted

My condolences to his wife and family. I had the pleasure of controlling with Mike on many occasions while undergoing my training in CZQM. He was a great instructor. He will be missed by many. It is people like him that enrich our experience on Vatsim and make us want to return the favor to others. RIP Mike

Dan

CZQM-Instructor

PS His last name was Langhan and his stats are as follows

Pilot 1377:46

Controller 2566:35

Supervisor 81:13

Observer 70:19

Dan [Mod - Happy Thoughts]nault

CZQM/CZQX Instructor

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Oh my goodness - this is sad news indeed!

It was always a joy to fly into Mike's sky when he manned Winnipeg, Edmonton, or the Atlantic FIR's (for endless hours I should add). Always so professional, polite, easy going, and fun. I always enjoyed chatting with Mike and did so whenever I happened to see him online.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike in Winnipeg back in 2002 along with a few other long time community members (Barry Guttormson and Lloyd for certain and unfortunately don't remember who else). It was actually the first time I had met any of my Vatsim friends and I'll be honest that for some reason I drove right past the meeting place wondering if I *really* wanted to meet these people. Common sense got the better of me and I pulled an immediate U-turn. Mike was as easy going and friendly in person as he was on the network. We all swapped stories, drank many beer, and shared some laughs until the wee hours of the morning. Certainly a night I will never forget as long as I live; to actually meet others who were as p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ionate about the community as I was!!

Mike - your friendly voice will be missed but certainly never forgotten.

Time to pour a gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] of the good stuff and push some tin tonight in your honor.

Here's to CAVOK skies for you Mike! Squawk VFR and we'll see you on the other side.

Ian Elchitz

Calgary, AB

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Michael Bevington 814931
Posted
Posted

Really sad to read this. Mike was a really great guy.

Mike Bevington

http://vatsim.net/prc

Daryl Shuttleworth 810763
Posted
Posted

Very sad news. Mike Langhan was a prince and a scholar. A gentleman in the true sense of the words.

CVA3339

3.png

Harv Stein
Posted
Posted

Mike my friend. Take the second star to the left and fly on until morning. Our thoughts

and prayers go out to Mikes family and friends. We have lost a gentleman. Harv.

Harv Stein

Founding Member - VATSIM

Posted
Posted

Mike's Obituary: http://www.p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]agesmb.com/obituary_details.cfm?ObitID=149793

MICHAEL LANGHAN September 29, 1941 - May 3, 2009 Peacefully on Sunday, May 3, after a hard fought 14 month battle with pancreatic cancer Mike p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed away at Riverview Health Centre at the age of 67. Mike leaves behind his mother Denise (nee Valois); his loving wife of 45 years, Irene (nee Lafrance); his children: Michelle (Prakash) Gowdar; Lianne Mastroianni; Patrick (Shannon) Langhan and Martin (Debbie) Langhan; his grandchildren: Sam, Marcus, Jordan, Keenan, Payton, Riley, Cole and Jory; brothers: Paul (Mary), Gerry (Carmel), Alan (Debbie) as well as numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his father Emile and brother Marcel (Debbie). Mike was born in St. Boniface and raised in St. Pierre, Manitoba. Mike worked at NAV Canada and Transport Canada for 35 years in Air Traffic Control, retiring from the position of Regional Superintendent of Air Traffic Control and Affairs. Mike had many hobbies. He could be found on the golf course as often as humanly possible, and was known to have thrown his clubs in the river from time to time. He loved air traffic control and flying so much he continued to do so on-line even after he retired. Mike was an outstanding cook and all those he loved, enjoyed the fruits of his labour. Retirement also saw Mexico and Florida become second homes and he spent the cold winter months there with Irene. Mike will be greatly missed by the many, many friends and family who knew and loved the little general . Funeral M[Mod - Happy Thoughts] will be held on Friday, May 8 at 1:00 p.m. in St. Bernadette Parish, 820 Cottonwood Road. Viewing will take place one hour prior to the service. Pallbearers are his sons Patrick and Martin, his nephews Jody, Trevor, James and son-in-law Prakash. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation, 1160-675 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0V9. He is no longer bound to the earth and will freely soar wherever he will . The Coutu family in care of arrangements: E. J. COUTU CO. FUNERAL DIRECTORS 680 Archibald St. 253-5086

CVA3339

3.png

Posted
Posted

I propose that a MULTI/FLY-IN be organized in rememberance of Mike's contribution to VATCAN and VATSIM, and to the hundreds of simmers that Mike guided through the friendly skies.

I am more than willing to help with this endeavour... but, I've been away from VATSIM for a while. Anyone else able to co-create?

CVA3339

3.png

Ken Greenwood
Posted
Posted

I had the pleasure of knowing 'virtually' Mike for most of my 10+ years in this hobby.

He was a true gentleman who was always willing to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist all those in this simulation.

He will be - is already - missed.

Lukas Kusiak 1016006
Posted
Posted

Thoughts and Prayers are with his family, RIP Mike.

Lukas Kusiak

CZWG Winnipeg FIR Instructor

7508.png

• Board of Governors
Matthew Cianfarani
Posted
Posted

My condolences out to his Family, he will be remembered.

Matthew Cianfarani
Vice President , Technology 
VATSIM Board of Governors

Alan Taylor 825557
Posted
Posted

Crossed over from the VATCAN forum http://forum.vatcan.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1774

An impromptu CVA Multi is being held Saturday evening - Departing Edmonton CYEG, Moose Jaw CYMJ , and finishing in Winnipeg CYWG. Time is 00:30 Zulu

Short notice, I know but if you can make it please do.

VATCAN1

Director, VATSIM - Canada Division

Vancouver,B.C. - YVR

825557.jpg

atc1o.png

VATSIM Supervisor

Jack Colwill 815386
Posted
Posted

As I read this my mouth dropped right open. I know I haven't seen Mike around VATSIM for quite some time but I thought maybe he just needed a break like I did. I am in complete shock that he is not longer with us. I am very sad that I never got a last chance to talk to him. It has been a while since I have seen him around. I have known Mike for quite a while. I am guessing going on 5+ years. He has always been a great contributer to our hobby and I will miss him dearly. My first encounters with Mike is when he was FIR chief quite some time ago for CZEG. We were supposed to get together and have a few beers when I overnighted in YWG. I very much regret that we never did although we could have many times but like many I have said "will get him next time I am in town". This just goes to show that the is no time like now. I would just like to say guys that if ever given the oppotunity to meet with gents like Mike please don't have the attitude I did like "next time". I am very sad to a point undescribeable on how I feel right now. Of the countless hours that I have chatted with Mike on TS, or whatever this is one of my greatest regrets not to meet Mike in person. I am truly sorry Mike and I promise to meet with you again one day and will make sure it won't be a "next time". Love ya Mike!

Jack

• 1 month later...
Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted

I can honestly say I mirror Jacks comments to the T. I first talked with Mike back when I first started this crazy gig in Aug/02. Being from Edmonton I flew Edmonton airspace. With not really a clue what to do, Mike was a friendly voice on the other end of the line. He was patient & understanding and always had time to answer a question (If he wasn't swamped). He always kept me coming back for more, What could I learn this time, And he was always there to answer.

And i always seemed to find him wherever he was controlling.

I was always grateful for his knowledge and willingness to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] it on.

I like Jack, had just recently wondered where Mike could be, maybe he was tired of the hobby and just needed a break. Reading this today was truly a shock and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Mike, Your cheerful and always recognizable voice will truly be missed in the virtual and more importantly, Real World.

You will be truly missed my friend

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

• 4 months later...
Brian Peace 813259
Posted
Posted

Never really new about these forums until now. Very deeply saddened by this news. Mike was a good friend online, taking care of countless Mainland friday night mayhems, and was a huge part of the fun we all shared in western canada. I too was of the thinking that maybe he was just "on a break". I may have actually flown his airspace in one of his last controlling sessions. He will be sorely missed.

Brian Peace

CEO BC NORTH

http://www.bcnorth.net

• 1 year later...
Marty Langhan 1182336
Posted
Posted

Not sure how many of you still are out there in the blue skies, but if you're anything like my dad I'm sure you're all still out there! I have been reading your posts since my dads p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing and I thought it only right to acknowledge your heartfelt messages. Too many a night I sat up wondering why we are all here, why did god choose my dad to take from his wife, children and grand-children...well through all your thoughts and writings it is clear he needed someone to guide the many more we are losing every day, I mean it's gotta be a tough job to control the air traffic up there right? I truly feel honored to know that even in a virtual world my dad held friendships that were very near and dear to him. Often I would pop in for a visit and listen to him chat you guys up, all the time not letting on he had someone else in the tower. A true professional too the end! I often joke that he retired from ATC to become an online ATC w/o the pay! I truly wish all of you the best for your kindness and respect.

Fondest regards,

Marty Langhan

Michael Avila 1077868
Posted
Posted
Not sure how many of you still are out there in the blue skies, but if you're anything like my dad I'm sure you're all still out there! I have been reading your posts since my dads p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing and I thought it only right to acknowledge your heartfelt messages. Too many a night I sat up wondering why we are all here, why did god choose my dad to take from his wife, children and grand-children...well through all your thoughts and writings it is clear he needed someone to guide the many more we are losing every day, I mean it's gotta be a tough job to control the air traffic up there right? I truly feel honored to know that even in a virtual world my dad held friendships that were very near and dear to him. Often I would pop in for a visit and listen to him chat you guys up, all the time not letting on he had someone else in the tower. A true professional too the end! I often joke that he retired from ATC to become an online ATC w/o the pay! I truly wish all of you the best for your kindness and respect.

Fondest regards,

Marty Langhan

Thanks for the words Marty. You are welcome in the VATCAN family anytime!

6078501976_546409509a_o.png

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

Fondest regards,

Marty Langhan

Thanks for the words Marty. You are welcome in the VATCAN family anytime!

Not to mention the VATSIM family as well.

Here's to your dad,

take care.

f1cert.gif

Dan Arsenault 949706
Posted
Posted

Marty,

As I previously stated, your dad made this virtual lots of fun. The good guys tend to leave us all too soon. We would love to see him online with us again, just as I am sure you would love to be able to give him a big hug and let him know how much you love him.

Thanks for checking in on us. Take care.

Moncton, NB CANADA

CZQM/CZQX Instructor

• 2 months later...
Ian Duke 814240
Posted
Posted

Mike was serving as Chief at CZEG when I first delved into the world of online ATC many moons ago! As many have already echoed in their reflections, Mike was a true gentleman and embodied absolutely everything that one could possibly ask for in a chief and mentor. Flying and controlling was a real treat when he was online - a true professional. He is sadly missed!

Cheers,

Ian