You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Website Down Again

Andrew Podner 994055

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

We are aware of the issue and are working to correct it

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

We will be moving servers and are in the process of trying to recover our data and files. More to follow soon.

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Just an update. The server that vatusa (and several other sites) were hosted on was attacked via an exploit in a cms one of the sites had installed (yes, they had an old cms installed and it burned them). Unfortunately, the exploit led to serious issues. No data has been lost and recovery is in progress. As part of the recovery, VATUSA will be moving off that server to another server, hence the reason for the delay in restoration while the nameservers update. Things will be restored as quickly as possible.

Dave

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

I have recaptured all of the data, and am in the process of recapturing the website. We have already redirected the server and are getting set up on the new one. Email for VATUSA 1,2,3,5,6 and 9 has been restored.

Expect systems to be coming back online tomorrow one way or another

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

Geez Andrew, first week on the job and you already have this. I'd like to say you're doing an AMAZING job, and am fully confident that you will be able to handle this, and any other situations that may arise.

Keep up the good work!

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Agree. Truly amazing what you've done on your first week on the job. We pray that it will all smooth out and never happen again. Kudos!!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

Well good morning everyone, here's the latest and greatest:

Slowly but surely we are restoring the databases, it is a big process because the databases are sooooo large. But it is progressing. Here's the bottom line: I don't think that it would be responsible for us to even consider putting every system immediately back online without performing a security audit on each system

So that is what the idea is today. Starting with the public website, I will be going through each system to audit the security. We will likely bring up the public site and forums first and then start bringing other systems up one at a time.

Obviously our security procedures will change drastically going forward.

I realize that we still must conduct the business of VATUSA, and I will implement some type of customer support/ticket system so that we can at least carry on with our lives a little bit.

Thanks again, more to follow........

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

Well, the maliciousness that caused all this is despicable, but once again Andrew, it seems that you've been non-stop at this since the minute you slid into your new seat, and your dedication is admirable. All of us greatly appreciate the sweat you've put into this, and I for one hope you get a break soon.

Brandon Bartell 968788
Posted
Posted

Does your VATUSA email address work? I will be sending you a couple of things. I see the post above saying you fixed them but then I got the suspended notice again this morning.

Brandon Bartell

Controller

Atlanta ARTCC

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

Yes, you may be seeing something that is running through a DNS cache that is old.

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Brandon Bartell 968788
Posted
Posted

That's what I figured. Just making sure.

Brandon Bartell

Controller

Atlanta ARTCC

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

The public website is back online with approximately 40-50% functionality. Restoration efforts continue.

www.vatusa.net

Thanks

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

I felt so bad when I saw that BANNED banner go up again last night. Again, excellent work on this astronomically huge task, Andrew.

Michael Oberg 855611
Posted
Posted

Andrew, you are truely doing a GREAT job. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Michael Oberg

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

I still am unable to get the vatusa site working nor my staff email.

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

If the site isn't working it is probably a DNS cache, so give it a couple hours and it should be fine. Andrew can forward on the changes that must be made to access mail, or get it working if no changes are required.

My email is working at this point, so if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to email me. Andrew is doing a fantastic job and I can't thank him enough for his efforts since accepting his appointment. Our IT department is in VERY good hands. I also want to thank everyone else for their support, and also the team of individuals working with us to restore the site.

Excellent work!

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

Mathew, send me an email and I will get you the new settings. I created an account for you last night. anything that was in your mailbox before may be lost though. We are trying to get all of our stuff back.

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

UPDATE:

I should be getting the full backup of our home directory from the old server pretty soon. It is being archived and uploaded for me now (thanks Mike E!). In any event, the databases are pretty much restored and the public site is running at about 1/2 capacity. There are some critical directories (forums, validation scripts, training center, new member signup, etc.) that I do not have so I cannot proceed very well without them.

*Public Website: Working, many links shut off until those systems come back up

*ATM & Instructor/Promotion Sites : new authentication system required, it is being developed now

*Certcenter: up and running at this time.

*Email: functioning for most VATUSA staff, still a few who I have not gotten in touch with yet

*New Members: down (but should be quick to come up when I get the archive)

*Training; down (but should be quick to come up when I get the archive)

*Forum: down for now.

*NOTAMs System: down until further notice

Restoration efforts continue, thanks for your patience.

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

SYSTEMS ONLINE

*Email: functioning for most VATUSA staff, still a few who I have not gotten in touch with yet

*New Members: online

SYSTEMS OFFLINE

*ATM & Instructor/Promotion Sites : new authentication system required, it is being developed now

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Zario Cummins 996334
Posted
Posted
SYSTEMS ONLINE

SYSTEMS OFFLINE

wow for someone new on the job you worked hella fast way to go keep up the good work Andrew

5599.png

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

UPDATE 1pm CDT:

ATM and Instructor system is back online, with a new login and authentication system

SYSTEMS ONLINE

*ATM & Instructor/Promotion Sites - Online

SYSTEMS OFFLINE

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

UPDATE 4:30pm

Here's the latest, we have had some issues in getting all of the old files from the old server, nothing major....just a little time consuming. The systems that are functions (as far as we know) are those listed in the last post.

I realize that we will have glitches and things that don't work just right. I also realize that we are all anxious to return to as normal of an operation as possible.

So that said, we have opened a VATUSA Support Helpdesk to receive, track, and administer support requests from the members . Our goal is to provide the best service we can and make sure that no one falls through the cracks. Thanks so much for everyone's patience.

you can get help at support.vatusa.net

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Andrew Podner 994055
Posted
Posted

VATUSA Forums have been restored, further updates will be posted there.

www.forum.vatusa.net

Thanks again for everyone's patience

Andrew Podner

Division Director

VATUSA

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Thanks again for everyone's patience

Thank YOU for taking the time to keep everyone informed as things were moving along. This is the way things should be done, and it's wonderful to see you reacting quickly to problems and keeping the membership informed.

You're doing a great job.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.