You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Convention?

Matthew Montgomery 1035148

Posted
Posted

I've been hearing things about a VATUSA convention. I was looking at some pictures that someone had posted. Is there going to be another? If so, does anyone have any details?

*Dates

* Location?

*ETC.

Matthew Montgomery

ZOB ARTCC

Staff Mentor

[email protected]

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

There were two conventions: 2006 in Chicago, and 2007 in Las Vegas. Afterwards, I believe while Dennis Whitley was still running VATUSA, there were plans for a 2008 one, but they fell apart. It's a LOT of work to organize it, and if not enough people can attend there are serious financial implications for whoever did the hotel bookings. Mark Zameda and Tom Ferry, in 2006 and 2007 respectively, organized the last ones and did an outstanding job, but with all the work it requires, and the economic downturn (less disposable income), it just fell through.

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Posted
Posted

Wow! That really stinks! Maybe people should book there own rooms! Will keep alot of the workload down. But I guess your right since the economy is in such a bad time the funds just aren't available. Really wish I could have made it to the last one. Oh well, save it for another time I guess.

Matthew Montgomery

ZOB ARTCC

Staff Mentor

[email protected]

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted
Wow! That really stinks! Maybe people should book there own rooms! Will keep alot of the workload down. But I guess your right since the economy is in such a bad time the funds just aren't available. Really wish I could have made it to the last one. Oh well, save it for another time I guess.

Matthew,

Several ARTCCs in VATUSA also hold their own events every year, such as ZBW's Boston Tea Party. These local events can be a lot of fun. Check your ARTCC's forums or ask the staff if there is anything happening.

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Tom Ferry 942166
Posted
Posted
There were two conventions: 2006 in Chicago, and 2007 in Las Vegas. Afterwards, I believe while Dennis Whitley was still running VATUSA, there were plans for a 2008 one, but they fell apart. It's a LOT of work to organize it, and if not enough people can attend there are serious financial implications for whoever did the hotel bookings. Mark Zameda and Tom Ferry, in 2006 and 2007 respectively, organized the last ones and did an outstanding job, but with all the work it requires, and the economic downturn (less disposable income), it just fell through.

Yes lots of work. I think its more beneficial that each individual region or artcc hold their own convention. A lot of the controllers in an artcc live in the same general area. Its just easier when people live closer together. Booking your own rooms sounds simple enough but in the end you still need a place to hold the convention which usually ends up being a hotel, which in turn then requires that you book X amount of rooms to hold the space to hold the convention. Like nick said it ends up being a financial burden on the organizer. People back out etc.

Tom Ferry