You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can you help a newbie - UK Pilot Mentor Program desired

Luke Harding 1106773

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am a newbie to VATSIM and have no idea what I am doing. I keep trying to join the pilot training but it has been full for months and months.

I have read the PRC but could really use some help from someone to fly a simple IFR route, preferably in the UK but will look anywhere.

I have been sat listening at airports for the past couple of weeks but have no idea what I am doing, I don't want to just start out and upset people.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can spare some time to help.

Cheers

Luke

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Which pilot training is full? There are many.

Kyle Ramsey

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted
Which pilot training is full? There are many.

I have been following a link from the main page, do you have one you could post?

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Well, we are working on a global pilot rating program, but I can recommend the UK Pilot Mentor program run by Bill Casey and his henchmen/women, and the Los Angeles ARTCC has a wonderful program as well, both of which I find to be quite adequate.

Please have a look at either of those programs as a start and let me know if you think they will meet your immediate needs.

Kyle Ramsey

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted
Well, we are working on a global pilot rating program, but I can recommend the UK Pilot Mentor program run by Bill Casey and his henchmen/women, and the Los Angeles ARTCC has a wonderful program as well, both of which I find to be quite adequate.

Please have a look at either of those programs as a start and let me know if you think they will meet your immediate needs.

Hi thanks, I will have a look. Please can you help with something else.

I have a VATSIM user ID (1106773) which is active, I know it works as I have been logging onto the VATSIM channel in FSX. But when I try to setup a PRC account or check the status of the ID I get a message which says it doesn't exist.

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted

Where can I find the UK Pilot Mentor program?

Thanks.

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I am going to move this thread to the UK area so those folks will find you and get you going.

Kyle Ramsey

James Kirkwood 953640
Posted
Posted

Where can I find the UK Pilot Mentor program?

Thanks.

Hiya Luke, you can find it on the uk site http://vatsim-uk.org - atm though the sites down.. Or atleast the database at times which means the pilot mentor system will be down. I'm sure Bill will jump on this at some point and give you some more info on getting mentoring.

James Kirkwood

2572.png

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Luke - I've just sent you a lengthy PM which will hopefully give you a solution to your extended and patient waiting. I've also answered you question about your account! Come back to me with any questions after you've read the PM.

Bill Casey

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bill.

Kyle Ramsey

Sean Reedman
Posted
Posted

The Pilot mentoring scheme in the UK is run by Gray Brett as Pilot Chief - Bill is a mentor - hope that clears that bit up - I am concerned any scheme in the UK is closed as they should not be - Once Gray has settled in I am sure you will be picked up when he recruits more mentors - we are about inclusivity not excluding people - as per the founders letter

Sean Reedman

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted
The Pilot mentoring scheme in the UK is run by Gray Brett as Pilot Chief - Bill is a mentor - hope that clears that bit up - I am concerned any scheme in the UK is closed as they should not be - Once Gray has settled in I am sure you will be picked up when he recruits more mentors - we are about inclusivity not excluding people - as per the founders letter

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that have helped me over the last couple of days since posting mu initial 'Can u help a newbie' thread.

I have been nothing short of amazed with the level of help I have received. I can't wait to get up and running properly now, learn how to get around and participate and give something back to the community.

Thanks

Luke

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

If its just that you want somebody to look over you through an IFR flight I will be more than happy - provided nobody has already stepped up to help you already.

Vatsim Germany | S2 | Düsseldorf RG | Köln

Luke Harding 1106773
Posted
Posted
If its just that you want somebody to look over you through an IFR flight I will be more than happy - provided nobody has already stepped up to help you already.

Thanks for the offer Callum and I may well take you up on the offer soon. However, I have applied to join the Bristol VA and going to go through their VFR first as I am still very new to the the FS world. I have taught myself to fly and land most things on a basic level but figured it's probably time to learn properly before upsetting people in the 'live' arena.

If it's ok I will come back and ask for your help soon though?

Cheers

Luke

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

If it's ok I will come back and ask for your help soon though?

Cheers

Luke

Sure, no problem, just pm me if you need help

Vatsim Germany | S2 | Düsseldorf RG | Köln

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted
I am concerned any scheme in the UK is closed as they should not be

Yes, at present, the mentoring system (i.e. the computer based system) is closed because we are in the process of re-working it to make it more user-friendly, more productive and to bear in mind the upcoming need to dovetail with the global plan. I did explain that to Luke in my pm plus there is currently an explanation on the front page of the mentoring system IF anyone gets the chance to access anything on the UK site right now. That does not mean we have stopped helping people. I had also previously explained to Kyle that Gray ran the programme and that I was just a mentor, that was also covered in my pm to Luke.

Any more questions/concerns then you know where we are.

Bill Casey

Sean Reedman
Posted
Posted
I am a newbie to VATSIM and have no idea what I am doing. I keep trying to join the pilot training but it has been full for months and months

Well clearly he wasn't getting the help and could not join however it all now seems to be in hand so I have no other issues - if I had I would address them with the relevant people not third hand.

Sean Reedman

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Neat titles aside, including my own, I am glad the OP got hooked up with help.

Kyle Ramsey

Sean Reedman
Posted
Posted

No confusion KYle - its looking good by the looks of things

Sean Reedman