You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need a thoughtful recomendation.

Richard Stevens 1116018

Richard Stevens 1116018
Posted
Posted

First of all, pardon me if this post is misplaced, this is my first.

Im in the midst of my first comp build, and will be geared towards flight simming. What type of desk might be reccomeded, that would accomodate yokes, Hotas, and of course mouse and keyboard. I will be using the computer for other purposes as well, and may branch out to multiple monitors. Any pics and guidence would be appreciated.

Im sure glad to have found Vatsim!

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

I tend towards larger "real" office desks, as it seems most desks sold for "home use" are far too small for all the [Mod - lovely stuff] I need to put on them.

Look for something at OfficeMax called a "Manager's Desk", or take a look at some furniture stores for study desks. You should be able to find something for under $400 that will be relatively well built and at least 3.5ft deep.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

It obviously depends on how much space you have and then get as big a desk as will fit! You can never have too much desk space for Vatsimming! For a desk with multiple purposes, depth is all iimportant so you can push stuff out of the way and let cables go straight over the back rather than across the desk.

Below is a pic of my setup. The main desk is 1500mm wide and 750mm deep; I picked it up for just 75 UK Pounds at a major office supplier over here (Staples); check out second-hand office furniture suppliers snce you can pick up top quality furniture at knock-down prices. It is just a plain desk with cantilevered legs to allow turning my chair to the second desk on the left (I'm lucky, this is a 14ft x 12ft spare room so I can do an L-shaped arrangement). For scaling, on the main desk are: 2 x 22" widescreens and 1 x 19" 4:3 monitor. Saitek Eclipse k/b (i.e. quite a big one) and Saitek joystick. Make sure you allow for a good space between the front wall and the desk to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist with cableing issues. If you still use CRT monitors then you'll need a deeper desk but you won't find many desks that are beyond 800mm deep. To design the room layout, I did scale drawings to work out maximum desk size etc.

cockpit3.jpg

Bill Casey

Richard Stevens 1116018
Posted
Posted

Thanks alot, I've learned what I needed.