You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC

Zario Cummins 996334

Zario Cummins 996334
Posted
Posted

Just curious how come a busy airport like Heathrow never got atc unless it Control/Center? i've been flying in and out of it for 2weeks now and atc been around the ariport stansted gatwick...... and only atc for heathrow is control/center just think its little odd for a bus airport like that

5599.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

time of day plays a big part. remember theyre on the other side, so theres a huge time difference

Zario Cummins 996334
Posted
Posted
time of day plays a big part. remember theyre on the other side, so theres a huge time difference

i kno that is why i fly like after 2pm my time which is like 5pm and a lot of other airports be on app twr gnd whats not just not heathrow

5599.png

Callum Riseley 1058796
Posted
Posted

You have to remember in the UK we have a system whereby all airports are in an RTS which I believe is like a vACC or FIR. Heathrow is in its own one and you have to have p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed an exam on a Tower position to control there, that means there is less people eligible and many people prefer to control at the airfield they train at. This means Heathrow doesn't get as much control as many pilots would like but there is control on regularly, I'd advise keeping an eye on the VATUK bookings or vRoute to see when they are online or have bookings.

Vatsim Germany | S2 | Düsseldorf RG | Köln

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

It is also my belief that the UK site currently being down has had a huge impact on activity in the division - I'm sure we will be back to normal when the issues are fixed.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Matthew Reeve 914466
Posted
Posted

There are a number of reasons, some of which can be found in other threads on here and on the vatsim-uk forum. Basically, though, it is very hard work having to control at EGLL because of the sheer number of people who make their first flight from there. As a controller, you have the busiest airfield in the UK *and* on top of that, have to help new pilots. As a result, it has a restrictive rating which means that controllers have to learn elsewhere first and then get an EGLL rating. Whilst this means it is open less, when it is you should get better quality.

As for the relationship with EGTT - it actually goes the other way more, that controllers are less likely to open LON_CTR if EGLL is not manned, purely because of the extra work outlined above. Unfortunately this feeling rubs off on newer controllers who then don't have an ambition to be controlling at Heathrow, so we have the situation [problem] where Vatsim-UK opens a huge number of regional airfields and yet our flagship EGLL and even CTR coverage is generally poor. Compare this to vacc-sag where you will often see the major fields fully manned and a CTR, it is a huge same that we can't get EGLL open.

There are a few people (myself included) who do try and open EGLL when we get a chance, because as a division it is our flagship and when it's busy and well staffed it can be an exhilarating experience.

3712.png

Vatsim-UK C3/INS & EGTT Euroscope sector file developer

FS9 pilot, learning X-plane, VasFMC user

Zario Cummins 996334
Posted
Posted

ok would be nice to get some atc out/in to it but i understand fresh meat causes trouble

5599.png