You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATPAC Website - Code 7500 alert

Richard Quigley

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

http://www.vatpac.org/

I think we've been hijacked.

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Robert Wright
Posted
Posted

Looks (and runs) OK from the U.K. Richard

Rob

Rob

ascii-planes.png

333336.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

A change in the domain config @ 0730z is slowly propogating Quigs.

Normal service will resume shortly

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Still out at 1030Z

Fix it Norman!!!!!

0.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Its not anything I can fix Richard.

I checked through things earlier and it really is a case of waiting.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Yah, I know you can't. But I thought, you know, with all those honours & titles after your name that, well maybe........

0.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

They count for nothing when you put me in a DC3 mate.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Dominic Manning 811381
Posted
Posted

How long is it going to take?

It's been 2 days now and still nothing. (well, now it's worse. I used to see the frames and the header frame even loaded the correct page. Now it's just the domain parking page)

Do we know the server IP address so we can byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the domain problems (in the short term)???

Paul Van Sebille 823628
Posted
Posted

Hell i'm sufferin from VATPAC forum withdrawal.........

Paul

2847.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

There aew ways to cheat should you desire. An IP isnt enough.

if you open c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ you will see a file called hosts

Note that to get to this you will need to have system files showing.

Open hosts with notepad and add the following to the end of the file:

65.98.42.18 www.vatpac.org

Save and close the file and you will be able to browse the VATPAC site again. This of course should only be a temporary fix. In a few days time you should do the reverse and remove this line to let the DNS servers provide this info.

Usual qualifiers apply. no pets were harmed in this experiment.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Paul Van Sebille 823628
Posted
Posted

Norm,

That worked..........

But the question needs to be asked---what happened---

Thanks

Paul

2847.png

Dominic Manning 811381
Posted
Posted

Norman,

Good point, but it shouldn't be affected too much if the webmaster did a good job.

You can reference links like "http://site/folder/page.htm" and that will require the HOST's file OR the DNS to be working.

But if the webmaster referenced links like "/folder/page.htm" then the web browser will use the current site (and even folder if you just refence the page ie "/page.htm").

And for some reason, 65.98.42.18 takes me to "Hillsong Church". I hope your not trying to push religion onto me.

Anyways, you either typed the wrong IP or they changed it (Hmm, if only we had some way of putting an easy name to the IP that wouldn't change even if the IP does).

Brad Hosking 910720
Posted
Posted

They have re-propergated the site to a new IP address and it takes time for the site to appear correct in all the ISP's DNS.

What you are doing (What Norm's shown you) will write into the hosts file the IP address of the sites now location which DNS does not yet have. The Hosts file basically works as your PC's own little DNS.

Because the site will be hosted on a virtual host, you cannot just put in the IP as there maybe many sites running from that IP. This is where is get's cleaver. It uses the fact that you have looked for www.vatpac.org on that IP and then resolves the correct site from that.

DNS is a hierarchal structure. It filters down through the DNS layers until your ISP's DNS knows where the site is located. This has not yet happened as unless you have put the entry in your hosts file, you will currently not get to the site.

I would give it a couple of more days. From memory .org sites tend to take longer to get them re-propergated than say a .com site would.

Brad

4531.png

world13-2.png

Brad Hosking 910720
Posted
Posted

Dominic

This has to do with DNS propergation not the webmaster. .org is always a problem when IP change....god knows why it sometimes seems like only one guy does it... but the webmaster may have requested quite some time ago for the change, and it may have been said that it would have been available at a certain time but these things happen when you are taking about DNS on a global scale. DNS inside a tiny network always is no issue, on the big cloud, it can take a little time.

I would not be so hasty to fire something off towards people who are doing this for free. Remember this whole world is based on a hobby and there is nothing system critical about it all. It is nice to have everything there however some things take time.

Also not my point about virtual servers. You can host multiple sites on one IP no problems.

Brad

4531.png

world13-2.png

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

DJ,

As Brad has said, its nothing to do with the way the site is written. As it stands, from what I have seen all links in VATPAC are relative, i.e. /page.htm

As you have found, by simply typing in the IP address (which is correct btw) you will get the default website for that server. There is no cheat available such as IP.Address/vatpac.org

One note on the fix I offered is that its a TAB and not a SPACE between the IP and the URL.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Paul,

Some months ago there was a change in the VATPAC IT Director. Part of this involved moving the web site and email, all of which went smoothly.

Sadly when it came to renewal something bizarre has occurred with the name servers leaving things in limbo. I am sure those who look after those things will have it back up and running as soon as is possible.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Paul Van Sebille 823628
Posted
Posted

Thanks Norm........

Regards

2847.png

Dominic Manning 811381
Posted
Posted

Brad, I wasn't attacking or firing anything off.

I guess I took it for granted that everyone knows our webmaster IS good (and forgot internet isn't the best meduim for body language).

Norman, Curse the man who invented virtual servers, no better yet. Curse the man who put one website as the default instead of placing a dynamic directory that displays a list of all the sites hosted on the server, therefore giving you the choice of what site you wish to visit.

Hmm, what ever happened to common logic??? It's not as common as it used to be, in fact now it's quite rare.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

DJ,

Such a listing became redundant with MSIE4 and NS4 since they were able to understand host headers. Even if you had such a list it would then become something like http://1.2.3.4/link which is fine until you then click a link in your site of choice and get taken back to http://1.2.3.4/

As for Hillsong - I think that they are the nice people who let us piggy back using their bandwidth for free

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Christopher Hay 851001
Posted
Posted

Norman

Just tried the above re: hosts and I am getting the same thing saying that the domain has expired.

Only after the Servinfo update to show all Oz ATC positions properly.

Chris

KNT0113

1513.png

http://www.boltonbaseball.com

Chris Hay

KNT0113

PMDG 737NG, B1900D

Level D 767