You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Disable Hardware Acceleration VISTA?

Tom Huben 981175

Tom Huben 981175
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

(I couldn't find my ssue in the forums- sorry if it is here!!)

I am posting this here and I will also post in ZLA forums.

Anyone know how to disable Hardware Acceleration on VISTA (Laptop-Toshiba Satellite)???

I tried doing a training session on VRC BUT there are lines of missing text that does not show up in the text box and above the WX lines. I can see Wind___ ALT____ But not the name (ex--KLAX) . No countdown timers,etc.

Also, when a pilot sends a text, it does not show up until 2-3 more lines of text appear.

KC and I tried going to Control Panel/appearance & Personalization/personalization/display settings/advanced settings/troubleshoot BUT "Change Settings" is dim and cannot be clicked.

When I right click on my screen when VRC is up, it doesn't give me the properties menu.

anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Tom Huben

ZLA_HN

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

What graphics card do you have? I was actually seriously considering getting this laptop two days ago! (:P)

If I remember correctly, it has the ATI Radeon HD 3200? (Which is weird, because I have that on the computer I'm writing this on, and VRC works fine on this *Knock on wood*)

Aaannnndddd, if you DO have the Radeon, there is no way to disable hardware acceleration in the Catalyst Control Panel. You're going to have to download a program from somewhere to do that, OR edit your registry (thank you Ross!).

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11080

If you go to that link, Ross has provided some registry files that might fix the hardware acceleration issues for Vista. The people in the thread said it didn't work, but It'll be interesting if it does on your machine (if you try it ).

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Tom Huben 981175
Posted
Posted

I have tried a few of those and they do not work. The one that was in the link was for photo gallery. There is a reg key created for VRC, but even when that is done my chipset will not let me disable it.

I did a search on the internet and Google has 202,000 posts about this problem since 2003. The only solution I have found at this time is to Disable the Driver each time before running VRC. The grapics are really poor and no graphics or anything like that works, BUT VRC does not need much from the computer.

In recap:

I have the INTEL ® 4 Series Express chipset. That is almost every post on the net has to do with (INTEL).

Only solution for now: Disable Driver by: Go to DEVICE MANAGER / click on Display adapter/ Right click on the Intel 4 series and click DISABLE this works but I dont know if it becomes an ssue if you forget to enable it after you are done with VRC.

This is what my screen loooks llike before disabling the driver: It misses all the blue boxes on the top and when I was controllng LAX GND yesterday when I get a Text onlyy /t/ pilot the first 2-3 lines they type I never see. Plus once I issue a clearance via text I never see it until the 3rd line is force fed upwards.

fsscr024-1.jpg

Tom Huben 981175
Posted
Posted

onesolution.jpg

After disabling the driver I get a normal VRC.

I had two plots yesterday back to back that were /t/ only and if it wasn't for the second pilot texting I would never see the first pilot text.

Plus when I issued: (callsign), Cleared to KSFO, VTU5 Departure RZS transition then as Filed, Maintain 5000, Expect FL360 5 minutes after Departure, Departure 124.5, Squawk 7211. I never saw a single word I had to send it twice to get the first one to show up on the bottom at all.

Tom Huben

ZLA_HN

S2

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I've found that the Catalyst 6.1 drivers are the best for VRC. The latest catalyst drivers do funky things with VRC and I downgraded to get a more desirable effect. I have also noticed no discernible difference with FS using the 6.1 drivers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!