You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA NOTAM - The 1st Annual VATUSA Convention!

Jeff Turner

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

Friends,

VATUSA has taken the first of many baby steps in the first to be annual VATUSA convention to be held March 24th, 25th and 26th of 2006.

While we are early in the planning stages, the VATUSA membership will have a hand in deciding on where and what. (Then the fun stuff starts, planning)

Look for details to come soon and begin to think about where YOU would like to have the convention and what your idea has to offer the VATUSA membership!

We are working a website now and will be looking for your input rather soon. I'd ask that you keep an eye on the VATUSA Forum located at www.vatsim.net for up to date details and this notam system for the important updates.

Look for the graphic contest that will represent this event and more coming soon and win the contest and have your convention fee waived!

Questions? Contact Jeff Turner at [email protected]

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff Turner

• Brad Littlejohn

• Josh Hjemvick 811983

• Terry Kocher 919807

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeff Turner

Jeff Turner 7 posts

• Brad Littlejohn

Brad Littlejohn 7 posts

• Josh Hjemvick 811983

Josh Hjemvick 811983 5 posts

• Terry Kocher 919807

Terry Kocher 919807 4 posts

Popular Days

• Aug 23 2005

23 posts

• Aug 24 2005

14 posts

• Aug 25 2005

6 posts

• Aug 27 2005

5 posts

Josh Hjemvick 811983
Posted
Posted

Oh how this has been a long time coming, and of all people to head it up. Great work Jeff!

CMEL.CSEL.IA.AGI.CFI.CFII.MEI.CRJ2.FO.Furloughed

Part of the Acey 80

811983.png

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

Count on me being there. Thanks for being lead on this Jeff.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Troy Autry
Posted
Posted

Count me in Chief..

Troy Autry

vZDV-C1/M

1504.png

Benjamin Caldwell 857129
Posted
Posted

If its nearby and school isnt a demand, count me in, also count me in for the graphics competition

Benjamin Caldwell - C3

Oakland ARTCC - VATUSA

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

I think that it should be located somewhere in the Midwest, like Chicago or Indianapolis, that way people can save on travel fees. I'd love to go to it, especially if it was only 70 miles away.

Andrew Miller

Mark Polston 810032
Posted
Posted

Sounds awesome! Count me in

Mark Polston

vZTL ARTCC | VATSIM Supervisor

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted
I think that it should be located somewhere in the Midwest, like Chicago or Indianapolis, that way people can save on travel fees. I'd love to go to it, especially if it was only 70 miles away.

What about those of us in the southwest?

Time will tell if I could attend. Money, work, time will all play a factor. As well as where is is held. Although, if I would suggest anywhere San Diego is a good convention town. So are other SoCal cities.

-Matt

ZLA DATM, I1

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Ya know, I hear Denver is an excellent city

Hey, they did the Avsim conference here in '04 and did great!

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

I think it should be in Lompoc, CA. So I don't have to spend a lot of money!

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Mark McCauley 832889
Posted
Posted
I think it should be in Lompoc, CA. So I don't have to spend a lot of money!

LOL at your house too?

Cheers!

Mark McCauley

Chicago, IL (KORD)

http://upsvac.com

Daniel Hill 810430
Posted
Posted

Charlotte, NC!

Respectfully,

Daniel Hill 810430

[Just Plain Ole' Dan]

Travis Faudree 821145
Posted
Posted
Although, if I would suggest anywhere San Diego is a good convention town. So are other SoCal cities.

-Matt

Yeah, good luck with finding a hotel for under $120 a night. I was out there last summer to ferry an airplane back to Virginia, and out of 6 places, nothing was under $120, which was what I finally settled on, and all it was was a Comfort Inn or something not all that impressive. Poor cabbie that was driving me around got a real nice fare off of that one.

John Hogan 810548
Posted
Posted

I vote for Spring Hill, Florida....

John H.

JOHN543.jpg

"Hmm...That doesn't sound good...(BEEP..BEEP..BEEP..BEEEEEEEEP....)"

Glenn Miller
Posted
Posted

Way to go Jeff, Long time past due, the VATSIM conventions are usually to far away from most given the 6 year rotation back to the USA. Centrally located would be the best Idea, LOL having said that the ZFW Convention was a success this year. the DFW Garden Hilton Inn was about $69.00 per night and numerous extras such as the conference room was included if we met a certain amount attendee critieria. The VATSIM Kansas City Convention a few years back was a success also and not too costly for most being centrally located, Then there is Colorado? not a bad choice either. Within $300.00 air travel I would attend, too much more than that? I'll have to wait for another time. Let me know if I can help out in anyway.

Best Regards

Glenn Miller

Eric Fisher
Posted
Posted

Hold it where airfares are cheap to fly to....Orlando. Tourist meca equals cheap fares to Orlando. Nevermind the million hotels to which to choose from. Heck, the Hyatt hotel that sits right inside the terminal would be the best.

Eric

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted
Hold it where airfares are cheap to fly to....Orlando. Tourist meca equals cheap fares to Orlando. Nevermind the million hotels to which to choose from. Heck, the Hyatt hotel that sits right inside the terminal would be the best.

Hyatt eh? Ready to spend ~$190 a night, before tax, and that's with your AAA card? Ouch!

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Vegas.....July....Dirt cheap.....Radiation burns added plus.

RJ

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Vegas.....July....Dirt cheap.....Radiation burns added plus.

Plus, you won't get booted out of being near the facility when you're planespotting and listening to ATC!

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

True....get rooms facing the airport at Mandalay Bay and you'll have a better view than LAS_TWR...plus room service!

RJ

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
True....get rooms facing the airport at Mandalay Bay and you'll have a better view than LAS_TWR...plus room service!

That's where the Stratosphere Tower comes in. Not only do you get a good look at 3 of the 4 fields there, you get great ATC coverage from those three fields, the TRACON/RAPCON, and great shots of GenAv up to 757s on that right base abeam the tower!

Did I mention my other office (settee area adjacent to the 25s)? And does anyone see a sales pitch here?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

That's where the Stratosphere Tower comes in. Not only do you get a good look at 3 of the 4 fields there, you get great ATC coverage from those three fields, the TRACON/RAPCON, and great shots of GenAv up to 757s on that right base abeam the tower!

Did I mention my other office (settee area adjacent to the 25s)? And does anyone see a sales pitch hsere?

BL.

I believe Vegas = Expensive. Unless we want to keep down costs (registration), I believe Vegas would be out of it. I know Richard mentioned they looked at several places for the VATSIM convention; Vegas was far too pricey.

Most hotels, if you get a certain amount of people, will offer conventioneers a price break. I got an absolutely awesome double full room at the Dulles Hilton for 85 per night (inexpensive in that part of the country). By far the nicest room for the price I've had in a while. Save for the four a.m. fire drill. That same room without the break runs about 199 a night.

Better than Motel 6, that's for sure.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Benjamin Caldwell 857129
Posted
Posted

Birmingham, Alabama... Cheap spending, most airlines fly there, and its just a great place to have it. Either there or Atlanta

Benjamin Caldwell - C3

Oakland ARTCC - VATUSA

Jeff Turner
Posted
Posted

These are ALL great ideas folks, we will be getting the form up in the next day or two for input for all of you for your ideas... The concept is to have the "idea" portion last no longer than a week, it'll take me a few days to get them all together, then we'll all vote and whatever wins, wins...

I'm partial to Denver of course, but I've heard Chicago as well as a good centrally located place.

Look for details here soon and please when you make your input, be specific on your ability to help with logistics, etc. rather than just saying "Sure, I'll help" and never answer the phone...

Jeff

Jeff "JU" Turner

US Army Retired

http://www.skyblueradio.com

21.png

SBR_banner-468-x-60.jpg

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Most hotels, if you get a certain amount of people, will offer conventioneers a price break. I got an absolutely awesome double full room at the Dulles Hilton for 85 per night (inexpensive in that part of the country). By far the nicest room for the price I've had in a while. Save for the four a.m. fire drill. That same room without the break runs about 199 a night.

C'mon Mark! At least you HEARD the 4am fire drill!!!! Some of us ended up being "incapacitated" by those developers plying us with drinks all night in the hotel bar. My head still hurts!

And no Joel, Mike and Ben....RJ really didn't sign over VATSIM to you guys!!! Well, at least as near as I can recollect.

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg