You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Trying to get Xsquawkbox running on Linux

Eduardo Poyart 967756

Eduardo Poyart 967756
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu Linux machine with X-Plane 9.31. X-Plane is working fine.

I'm trying to connect with Xsquawkbox. When I start up X-Plane, it tells me that it is set to render only 1 aircraft, and I should increase it so that Xsquawkbox can work. Where do I increase it? I didn't find the option in Rendering Options. Did it move?

I can connect to server 66.221.192.84, and I see the welcome text that indicates I'm connected. But I don't see a xsquawkbox panel, like the old squawkbox panel. Is that the way it is?

Thanks

Eduardo

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Hi, yep, XSquawkbox does not have that "panel" instead, put your mouse over the top, so the bar comes down, click plugins, put your mouse over XSquawkbox and you have all the stuff there.

New York ARTCC

Eduardo Poyart 967756
Posted
Posted

I was able to connect and communicate via text. XSquawkbox says I'm connected to the voice room. However I can't hear anyone, nor can anyone hear me.

I can hear the XPlane background sounds. I'm starting XPlane with "aoss xplane".

I can record from my microphone using the Linux Sound Recorder and I can hear what I've recorded.

The microphone test in XSquawkbox always fails (it says the background level is the same as the foreground level).

Help!!! I would appreciate any ideas on how to troubleshoot this, from people already running on Linux. I can't wait to go back to Vatsim!

Cheers

Eduardo

Eduardo Poyart 967756
Posted
Posted

Update: If I start xplane with just "xplane" instead of "aoss xplane", I don't get Xplane sound effects, but I can talk to the ATC!!!!

It's either ATC or Xplane sounds for me... is it some sort of sound driver conflict? What do you recommend to track that down?

Thanks for any help!

Eduardo

• 2 weeks later...
Eduardo Poyart 967756
Posted
Posted

I'm still unable to hear both X-Plane sounds and VATSIM sounds at the same time.

I tried to update the ALSA driver with no success.

Today I tried to connect, and it connected and there is no one on-line. I've set my plane to LAX. Is it normal these days? I don't remember ever seeing no one on-line a few years ago.

Thanks

Eduardo

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Eduardo, not all centers are online all the time. Go to http://vatsim.net and click on the "who's online" link on the left side under network, that will give you a list of controllers currently online. Then from there, you can decide where to fly...try to choose areas where the controllers haven't been online for 2 hrs...or so...then you should be good to go.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Eduardo Poyart 967756
Posted
Posted

Thanks!

Is there any one with Linux that was able to hear both X-Plane sounds and XSquawkbox sounds?

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Eduardo,

We have a Linux user working to try to address the deficiencies with Linux's default sound driver. I'm trying to get his changes into the next release. As soon as I know when/if that's going to happen, I'll update in this forum.

• 7 months later...
Enrico Gallesio
Posted
Posted

hello everybody

sry to revive this old thread but I am curious to know if anybody managed to fly correctly on linux hearing both xplane and xsquawkbox voice together. It seems the only way to make xsquawkbox plugin load at startup is to use aoss, but when I enter a voice room I can only hear broken noises when people talks.

This happens even if I kill pulseaudio (i'm on ubuntu 9.10) and I checked the port is correct (3290).

any help pls?

thank you very much

Enrico

Tommy Rogers 971040
Posted
Posted

I've been trying to get both to work for over a year but to no avail. It seems right now you can have one or the other not both.

Tommy Rogers, C-3

ZMA Controller

Vatsim Supervisor

Enrico Gallesio
Posted
Posted

thank you very much!

The only way I could make it work is using a USB Headset and editing xsquawkbox preferences file changing with "/dev/dsp1" on "/dev/dsp" lines.

I still have to figure out why voice stops working after some time though.

Hope this helps someone.

bye!