You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Another Vatsim Newbie

Anthony Carbott

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Well I'm new to Vatsim, but not new to flying aircraft. I can fly VOR to VOR and program an FMC and take a big bird into the skies quite safely.

All I'm trying to work out, is, what do I do with Vatsim? How do I use it? How do I connect it to FSX, how do I get online with Vatsim?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Anthony

Way to many questions to answer quickly and simply, but if you read the PRC on the join up page of VATSIM.net it will answer those questions for you. The first thing to do though is get some software that will connect you to the network.

There are two to choose from

Squawkbox 4

FSinn

I personally use FSinn and would reccomend that but of course the choice is yours.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

Excellent.

I'm at Elstree, sitting and listening to London Control, which appears to be acting as a tower rather than controlling London airspace. There's no one in the tower at Elstree at the moment, so I guess I'd have to contact London and let them know of my intentions.

Also, not sure how I know which airfields are controlled and how this effects airspace transition if I've got no one handing me over to another centre. Is it a case that if the airfield and frequency doesn't come up on the Squawkbox screen, then that airfield simply isn't controlled?

And do I clock up 'hours' with Vatsim?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Yes your hours are clocked up and you can see them on the main VATSIM site under stats.

You can go to vataware.com for all your stats. It's free.

To see who is online and where without starting up FSX download Vatspy.

www.metacraft.co./vatspy

Enjoy

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

Excellent, so how would it then work if I want to depart from and arrive to an airfield that isn't manned by a Vatsim controller? Would it be pretty much pointless in flying with Vatsim then?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

No its not pointless, you still file a flightplan and your flight time will be shown on VATSIM and Vataware etc. You use 122.80 Unicomm and announce your intentions via text to any other pilots who might be close by. As I said though use VAtspy to see where there is control and plan your flight accordingly.

yoyu will find ATC online most nights in the uk and dotted about.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

If the airfield isn't a manned one still, contacting say, London Control and let them know of my intentions if it looks a better option than Unicom, would that work?

Also, how do I get Vatsim weather to work with FSX?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

anthony

I will only answer so many questions you have just run out hahaha, time for you to do some reading and learning on your own. It's all on the VATsim sites.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

I have been doing some reading, but it's not as clear as it could be when one thinks of asking a bit deeper. So I ask here on the chance that someone knows, so if you don't know, that's fine, I'll try and find out someway.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Oh I know, it's just all outthere you will find it all.

wycliffe

atc5o.png

Anthony Carbott
Posted
Posted

Well I'll just make do for now. Of course I'll keep reading, but what are forums for? If you feel the need to ask, you ask.

Vince Horan
Posted
Posted

Hello Anthony,

Welcome to VATSIM. You seemed to have exhausted Wycliffe, so I shall step in since the topic is London Control. I am one of a small number of controllers that man the London Control positions - LON_CTR and EGTT_CTR, you may also see MAN_CTR (Manchester) and the first two broken down as LON_N_CTR/LON_S_CTR/EGTT_S_CTR/EGTT_N_CTR. More details of the airspace they cover is found on www.vatsim-uk.org in the EGTT section, however in summary EGTT_CTR is an enroute position but does cover airfields in the South West top down. LON_CTR covers the London TMA, so thats EGBB, EGGW, EGKK, EGLC, EGLL & EGSS. Depending on work load and the controller you may get ATC if you ask, from airfields under the TMA such as EGKB, EGLF & EGTR.

Vince Horan

UK DCRM, VATSIM Supervisor, Snr Controller

4003.png