You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Long Range Group VFR

Anthony Presutti 1058415

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a long VFR with a group of people. I think it would be fun to get away from the big airliners and busy traffic, and take a long and peaceful VFR in the old GA plane. I am open to destinations and arrivals, and dates and times as well. If our group is up for it, maybe we could use a TeamSpeex server for our group frequency...obviously if there is ATC in the area we will have to be able to communicate with them, but maybe when we are in uncontrolled and open airspace. Anyways, this is open to everybody and anybody can throw ideas about places and dates and times for this flight.

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

FWA316A.jpg

Mike McPhee 1010429
Posted
Posted

I'll go if you can get a few people

Michael Stein 1035507
Posted
Posted

I'll come along, love flying VFR, but I'll need to get some good scenery before we leave

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Ok...I am still waiting for some responses and ideas from some other guys yet. In the meantime, what place/places would you be interested in?

FWA316A.jpg

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

I'll go.Anyone wanna cross Canada from coast to coast?

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

That would sound good, I was thinking Canada for awhile. Maybe from CYQB or CYHX to CYVR or CYYC.

FWA316A.jpg

llennel evangelista 100068
Posted
Posted

I would love to join you guys, but depends on the time and length of your flights. Could you please keep me in the loop? Thanks!

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted

Keep me in the loop as well.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Ok, well I've done a little searching around for a couple good GA airports that aren't too close, yet too far from each other. Please remember that this is just my idea so far and that this isn't final. So...I was thinking a VFR from CYYC (Calgary) to CYWG (Winnipeg). If we do this flight, I have planned to fly a Piper Malibu, in which the flight would take about 3-4 hours. The length is about 650nm between the two airports and has some good scenery and sights through the flight. I am still open to ideas!!! But I just wanted to see what you thought of it!

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

FWA316A.jpg

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

How about starting in Newfoundland or St.Pierre and Miquelon

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted
St.Pierre and Miquelon

Didn't we decide on VFR inside Canada? Not France to Canada! I don't have a valid p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port.

And if you are looking for good G/A airports, Calgary and Winnipeg are bigger international airports... atleast in the real world.

Jody Turner - I1

8942.png

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Okay...well I've done some offline GA flying, and have come up with some up very small and discrete little GA airports. The two airports are Prince Rupert (CYPR) and Cold Lake Regional (EN5). They are both in Canada and are pretty nice little GA stops. They are about 700nm apart and would be about a 5-6 hour trip in a Piper or something like that. If this sounds good or bad for anybody just let me know, and I will try to get a specified date and time. Thanks again!

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

Yes, I know the two airports aren't THAT small, but compared to CYYC and CYWG they are!

Also, the beautiful mountains around Prince Rupert make for spactacular sights, but a challenging depart!

I tried cruising at a higher altitude and speed and knocked it down to about 4 hours, but that was in my Piper Malibu at 18,000 at 300kts.

FWA316A.jpg

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted

This weekend?

Jody Turner - I1

8942.png

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Hmmm...I am pretty busy this weekend, but MAYBE Sunday late afternoon could work. Otherwise, next weekend should be better. This would also allow for others to get some "heads-up" time before we fly. Anyways, our flight route will be VFR from CYPR to EN5, altitude should be between 5 and 10 thousand to be clear of the mountains around Prince Rupert, but I personally think weaving through them is much more scenic! I will be flying a Piper Malibu.

Let's make our date next weekend! I'll give an exact day and time in the next day or two. Hope you all can come!

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

FWA316A.jpg

Juan Rodriguez 1123361
Posted
Posted

Im intrested, there is a good server called discover, we could fly thru los andes...

anyways ill keep touch!

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted
Im intrested, there is a good server called discover, we could fly thru los andes...

anyways ill keep touch!

Isn't the idea to fly on VATSIM though as this is the VATSIM forum?

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Okay...well here is what is final...

VFR from CYPR to EN5

This will take place Sunday, September 20 at 1600 zulu. It may seem early for some, but keep in mind that it's a fairly lengthly flight.

Aircraft is any General Aviation plane, but our group will probably fly between 125 and 200 IAS.

Hope this clears some questions up!

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

FWA316A.jpg

Anthony Presutti 1058415
Posted
Posted

Reminder of the VFR Flight

Just a reminder that our Group VFR is tomorrow. We will meet at Prince Rupert (CYPR) at 1600 zulu. Then we will probably will leave about 10-15 minutes later for Cold Lake Regional (EN5). Bring any GA aircraft you wish, but you might want to make sure you can fly IFR with it just in case we hit some bad weather on our long journey. Anybody is still welcome to meet us there or on the way. Hope you can all make it! I am also sending a PM to those who were interested on this thread.

See Ya!

Anthony Presutti

FWA316A.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
José Torres 1087794
Posted
Posted

I would like to be part of your VFR group. I am used to flying small GA aircraft (i.e. C-152 and C-172). Not IFR rated. Let me know if I can join you.

x-plane for mac

Porfirio Bas
Posted
Posted

Did you all flew already...? If you are still planning I would love to go with you. Let me know.

Porfirio Bas

Callsign EJoe.

Brian Whitt 847947
Posted
Posted

I really wanted to try Red Bluff, CA (KRBL) to Santa Barbara (KSBA) if anyone was interested; the route presents some fun of VOR-VOR nav through some scattered airspaces. Plane of choice for me is the Flight1 Cessna 172R.

pc_MjNonsense.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Brian, depending on the time, I will certainly be interested in the RBL to SBA. C172 or Piper, I'm game. You might want to start a separate thread though.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1