You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Advice on my next computer

Don Desfosse

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

It's been about 8 years since I purchased my last computer. I've upgraded it a bit along the way, but things are wearing out and I'm getting pretty dissatisfied with the speed, so.... time to break down and go for new.

I've been out of touch so long that I'm looking for advice. 97% of my online time is ATC (VRC), 3% flying (FS2004/SB4). Other than that on VATSIM, I do email, use the web, and use MS Word, Excel, etc.

So I'm thinking of getting a "gaming" system to make the flying better/faster. Because I do so little flying, I was just going to keep my current HDD and use it as a secondary drive and keep FS2004 on it. Also, because I've heard Vista can be quirky, I was going to get a computer with XP.

But when I look online and at BestBuy, etc., I see lots of "gaming" systems that have QuadCore processors (like the i7-920) and Vista Home Premium, with free upgrades to Windows 7, etc.

Based on knowing what I do with a machine, I'm interested in folks' input on what might be best/reasonable for me.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Don

Edited by Guest

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Wait a month until Win 7 64 comes out, then go quad core, 8GB of RAM, 2 GeForce GTX 295's in SLI, 2x 256 SATA II SSD's, and at least a 24" LCD (or 2).

You didn't mention a cost limit...

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted
Wait a month until Win 7 64 comes out, then go quad core, 8GB of RAM, 2 GeForce GTX 295's in SLI, 2x 256 SATA II SSD's, and at least a 24" LCD (or 2).

You didn't mention a cost limit...

256 SSDs are expensive. I can barely afford a top of the line 128 SSD. The GTX 295 is overkill too. One is more than enough. Get the HD 4890 or GTX 275 if you plan to go nVidia.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

since you will be sticking with FS9, most computers today will be able to run it sliders max and a TON of add-ons. Personally i order all my machines from dell but wont get into that. I have a quad q9550 from intel OC'd to 3.144 ghz 8 gigs of ram velociraptor 10k rpm hdd and twin nvidia 9550's. FSX runs like a champ on my vista 64 bit set up, i would though reccommend waiting for windows 7. I will be upgrading.

Tom Bergman

A new va is coming

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm always very hesitant to be an early adopter with a new MS OS. But it seems like everyone is excited to jump into MS Windows 7 the minute it comes out. Thoughts on why that is, or am I just talking to all the early adopters?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I'm always very hesitant to be an early adopter with a new MS OS. But it seems like everyone is excited to jump into MS Windows 7 the minute it comes out. Thoughts on why that is, or am I just talking to all the early adopters?

I disliked Vista quickly, and time didn't improve the impression. I've been running Win7 and XP in dual boot for several weeks now, and I just don't run XP anymore. It seems like the real deal.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Definitely wait until the win7 release... i7's and their respective components are still too pricey and should definitely be cheaper by years end. My 6th sense tells me Intel and others will be there to take advantage of the win 7 launch. Even DirectX 11 video cards will be out by then, all though it seems none of the software you currently run will benefit from it

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I advise not run FS from old secondary HD, but reinstall FS (or possible try move all files) to a new HD. This since any older HD typical are slow and not match a new in performance.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png