You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Comm box for OBS?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

question. does the sweatbox server allow OBS's users to use the text comm box?

i know majority of folks mainly train by voice so it might have gone unchecked but i do voice and text to make sure theyre proficient in text too.

student was getting this error when trying to type in the comm box

enter either sector id or single-digit chat group index

tried everything possible. frequency primed, made sure both tx and rx were green.

not even typing the atc chat command "/" worked

is the server just not letting OBS's type? we resorted to using the chat box in the meantime

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Ernesto,

I just logged into Sweatbox as an OBS and tried it out. You know what I think he's probably doing? When I pressed my controller select key (and I've never used this before!) either before or after typing a message, I received that above error message. By default I think it's the "\" key, right above "Enter." He needs to press "Enter" after typing text messages.

The controller select key requires the sector ID which is supplied by the clients in the comms panel, which is where I got the idea after reading the error message you supplied above.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

hmmm. thanks Harold. will have to check again during the next session. i specifically asked him atleast 10 times if hes pressing enter to send, that better not be it!

heres another question. hes from Thailand. could it be possible if his keyboard layout is different, would that cause vrc to think hes pressing another button? or doesnt matter?

EDIT: i just logged in as OBS to sweatbox and it let me type just fine. but minute i used the controller select key i got the error. thanks Harold!

on to the second question tho. that possible?

other thing im thinkin he selected the enter key as the controller select key

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't think VRC would confuse one keyboard from another. Each key has an ASCII (or ASCI...can't remember) character code that it sends to the computer, so I don't think that's plausible. I could be wrong.

other thing im thinkin he selected the enter key as the controller select key

That's what I thought about today.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

looked at a couple thai keyboards tonight. They look like they have the same layout. did the student change his key settings?

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

will post an update after our next session. waiting on him to complete his S1 test