You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Computer!!

Erich Mohler 1033627

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted

So after much research on the forums here at Vatsim and speaking with a plethora of friends and experts I have made a final decision on the hardware I will use to run FSX and FS9. I was able to find the correct parts and setup for next to penny's on the dollar for a great system! What I have ordered (should be here Thursday or Friday):

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.4 Ghz

4 Gb DDR2 Ram

500 Gb SATA 2 HD

Windows XP Home Edition

500 watt Power Supply

DVD+- RW Burner

I will have to make a few modifications to the system to get all the results I want, but most of the issues can be fixed with a good video card. I'm thinking about a GTX 9800, no SLI on this system! I think this will do all I need and run DirectX 10 as smooth as it can be run up till now. I wanted to go with a Quad core but after much discussion about it a $300.00 system with all of the above stats couldn't be beat! Let me know what you think and I'll update you when I get my PC in the mail!

1033627.jpg

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
So after much research on the forums here at Vatsim and speaking with a plethora of friends and experts I have made a final decision on the hardware I will use to run FSX and FS9. I was able to find the correct parts and setup for next to penny's on the dollar for a great system! What I have ordered (should be here Thursday or Friday):

4 Gb DDR2 Ram

500 Gb SATA 2 HD

Windows XP Home Edition

500 watt Power Supply

DVD+- RW Burner

I will have to make a few modifications to the system to get all the results I want, but most of the issues can be fixed with a good video card. I'm thinking about a GTX 9800, no SLI on this system! I think this will do all I need and run DirectX 10 as smooth as it can be run up till now. I wanted to go with a Quad core but after much discussion about it a $300.00 system with all of the above stats couldn't be beat! Let me know what you think and I'll update you when I get my PC in the mail!

As far as I know you'll need Vista to run DX10.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted

As far as I know you'll need Vista to run DX10.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Really? Hadn't heard that, but sounds good. Should I just wait for Windows 7? If Vista, 32 or 64?

1033627.jpg

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Definitely get win7 unless you like adding Service packs

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted

Erhan, reading some other posts it seems you have used windows 7 right? Can you tell me some features and reasons windows 7 is the best of xp and vista? Thanks for the response by the way!

1033627.jpg

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Actually I don't run window 7 yet but I do run Vista on the main machine and XP on the laptop. I think you'll be fine with XP on that machine. I wouldn't recommend spending any extra money, but if you plan to upgrade definitely wait for Vista Second Edition... a.k.a. Win7

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

What? Send that back to the factory. I've had that CPU since October 2005. It can run FS9 maxed but barely. I've got one and it's giving me hell. It's not even worth using for FSX. I'm replacing it with an i7 sometime in the next month. You're really gonna regret buying that CPU, please send it back for your own sake.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted

Well I've read good reviews on it. I have a buyer buy back guarantee so if it doesn't perform well I'll let you know. What Graphics card are you using on that?

1033627.jpg

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted
Well I've read good reviews on it. I have a buyer buy back guarantee so if it doesn't perform well I'll let you know. What Graphics card are you using on that?

From where? If you're looking for a good deal right now, get an i5 Lynnfield CPU. Reviews are great and it'll run FS excellently.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Well I've read good reviews on it.

Where, and how old? The Pentium D is about two or three generations behind the latest.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

3.4 ghz is the important number here not the age of the chip. The only difference it's going to make is related to noise levels since it will definitely run at higher temps.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
3.4 ghz is the important number here not the age of the chip.

Do you mean that a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 will run faster than a 2.66Ghz i7?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
3.4 ghz is the important number here not the age of the chip.

Do you mean that a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 will run faster than a 2.66Ghz i7?

Cheers!

Luke

if they believe that a P4 will run faster then the I7 then i've got some ocean front property in Arizona for a good price

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

No what I do believe is the i7 2.66 chip alone will cost more than that entire setup. And the system will cost him at least 3x more than what he's already paid or is willing to pay.

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

The i5 CPUs are great and really affordable. If that's too expensive, get a Core 2 CPU.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have recieved the computer in the mail, and I am quite satisfied. It loads XP SP2 Home Edition in under 30 seconds, and FS9 loads in about 10 seconds. Unfortunatly my old GPU is incompatible with my new motherboard, but its a good thing for me! That means a New Video Card!! The wife has already folded and I will have an order in as soon as I can get some ideas from people on what is working.

Edited by Guest
1033627.jpg

Ryan Guffey 956726
Posted
Posted

I'm not an Intel fan and am building a new rig. Went with the 965 BE. Should be done Monday (fingers crossed). AMD is much much cheaper. You can get the same performance if not better in some games.

You can get the Phenom II 955 BE (great overclocking) for $190. It runs on AM2 plus so you can run DDR2 which is cheaper. I'll update you on the performance if your interested in quad core still.

VATSIM Supervisor

Erich Mohler 1033627
Posted
Posted
I'm not an Intel fan and am building a new rig. Went with the 965 BE. Should be done Monday (fingers crossed). AMD is much much cheaper. You can get the same performance if not better in some games.

You can get the Phenom II 955 BE (great overclocking) for $190. It runs on AM2 plus so you can run DDR2 which is cheaper. I'll update you on the performance if your interested in quad core still.

Let me know. I have the wife believing I have this one to run FS9 only. I told her over the next year I'll be building a FSX rig.

1033627.jpg