You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New procedure to become VATSIM Supervisor

Michael Zazula

Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have the pleasure to announce that new procedure for applying for the position of VATSIM Supervisor is effective immediately. The procedure consists of following steps:

1. Meeting requirements set up by the BoG

2. Applying online using Supervisor Application System (SAS)

3. Waiting for recommendation from Regional Director (mandatory) and other staff members (optional)

4. Final result of SAS application

5. Waiting for a free place in the Supervisor Team

Let me describe it in details.

1. Meeting requirements set up by the BoG

The following requirements are hard, not negotiable and no one who doesn’t meet the below requirements should expect an exception. The candidate for a Supervisor should:

• be at least 18 years old,

• have an minimum VATSIM online experience of 2 years and 200 hours,

• be logged at least for 15 hours per month for two consecutive months before the nomination,

• have a good knowledge of at least one controller client and one pilot client used on VATSIM,

• have no serious disciplinary records at least one year prior to the nomination,

• have a good knowledge of VATSIM rules and regulations, especially the Code of Conduct,

• have a good reputation of a person capable of resolving conflicts and being able to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist others,

• Be prepared to spend at least 20 hours per month online on any VATSIM activity and at least 5 hours per month on exclusive supervising (without ATC or pilot duties).

Sharing Supervisor duties with other staff positions is acceptable, however not recommended, since online supervising requires considerable focus and is extremely time consuming.

Note, that we now accept also applications from experienced pilots (without ATC rating) who know how to use ATC clients (unfortunately you can’t do your SUP duties without that knowledge).

2. Applying online using Supervisor Application System (SAS)

The SAS is available at http://sas.vatsim.net

You log in using your VATSIM PID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. Please read all instructions displayed in the system with care and follow it.

Please NOTE that the system is brand new and despite we took all efforts to test it, some bugs may exist. Should you become stuck at some place with in the system please let me know at [email protected]. I will NOT answer questions about things that are described in the SAS.

3. Waiting for recommendation from Regional Director (mandatory) and other staff members (optional)

When filling an application in the SAS, at certain point you will be asked to confirm who your Regional Director is and whom else you would like to ask for reference. The reference from RD is mandatory; other references will increase your chance, but are optional. Once you fill names of references, they will be notified automatically and you will NOT be able to proceed within the SAS until we will get requested references.

4. Final result of SAS application

Once we will get all requested recommendations, you will be informed by e-mail. Than you can complete your application and send it for review. Typically it can take up to 14 days. The outcome of the process might be a rejection or acceptance of your application. There is no appeal procedure, the decision is final, but you may re apply after 3 months.

5. Waiting for a free place in the Supervisor Team

NOTE: if your application has been accepted, it doesn’t mean that you will be upgraded immediately! Acceptance means that you are now in the pool of suitable candidates. But you will still need to wait until we will need new Supervisors (we need only limited number). Once additional upgrades are possible, we will select candidates from the pool for upgrade, but not on first-come basis, but rather to match our needs (taking into account different factors, as time zone of the SUP, languages spoken and other skills). So you might wait several months between the end of SAS process and actual upgrade.

Final note:

Yes, the new process is not simply and quick. However we need Supervisors who are patient and who are able to follow written instructions in details. Take it as your first test for the new role.

Best regards and good luck to everyone who will apply!

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!

• 3 months later...
Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

It has been brought to my attention some time ago that the SAS system has a bug which blocks the possibility to advance from screen A4 to A5 for some people who apply for the rating of Supervisor.

I'm happy to inform that the SAS developer has found a way to walk around that bug (the bug however has not been eliminated, as we can not track it down).

So if anyone is still stuck with his application on A4, please write an e-mail to [email protected] . I will force your application to advance to A5.

Best regards,

MJZ

PS. Please, also people who have reported the bug in recent weeks should write again now if they are still interested to advance. I've got dozens of e-mails and I may have problems to find all recent e-mails with such a request in my mailbox...

Edited by Guest

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!