You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Beta Status?

Alexander Cohrs

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Hi Gergely, hello guys,

first please let me explain that in general I hate these kind of "when will it be ready?" questions. I am more then happy if a developer takes the time needed and releases a good and stable program instead of doing Beta or even Alpha testing with the users.

However, with Euroscope it's a bit strange for me right now: Everytime I see a ES screenshot with a menu I don't know, the guy who posted it answers to my question: "Well, that's the beta." Then I read about features of ES I don't know, and at the end of the discussion it's "Ah, that's the beta." And even if it's about issues with the current release, someone for sure will pop out stating: "Oh, that's fixed in the beta." Looks like half the Vatsim world is using the beta version, and I am starting to feel quite lonesome with the official release.

Having said all this, I hope you don't mind me asking now that old "when?" question. Any rough idea when also the regular users can benefit from all these cool features we are seeing everyday in the forums?

Kind regards

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Same feeling for me

But even being offered the Beta from some sources, I would not use it before being part of the beta forums. I think using a beta is part of a communication involved. But the longer no new beta-testers are accepted and it is not released, the more pressure I feel to use the "black beta" (really widely spread now).

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well I think this has to topics:

1. Why is ES beta used and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed on from beta testers to non-beta testers.

2. When will be the new release.

1. I really don't know and I don't see why a beta tester will p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] over a beta program to someone which hasn't been appoved for that. Even more to ask about features and bugs from beta version on place outside the beta forum. Gergely may need to act about that.

2. Gergely don't have much free time to work on ES so the progress is a bit slow. But he can aswer this better then me.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately what Todor told is just right. Recently I had far less time on development than minimum needed. In the last months I was simply unable to get closer to the release as the beta team added more issues to the list than I was able to fix. Last week I made a big step closer. I have only some 10 items left and one new feature I promised to Craig Phillips.

The first planned date was April (this year) - now it is mid October. I try to find some time and deliver it in November or as worst case for Christmas (as a present).

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

thank you for the update! I am looking forward to the release and keep my fingers crossed everything goes well!

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

• 4 weeks later...
Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
I have only some 10 items left and one new feature I promised to Craig Phillips.

There you go everybody blame Craig for delaying this process

Honestly, by observing the process as a beta tester I can humbly submit that unless people (including beta testers) stop asking Gergely for more and more improvements on the advanced features of it, I'm afraid new Euroscope will take ages to come to public. What beta testers and Gergely's team tend to put in a lesser priority is that the wide membership do not have at their disposal this perfect software which the "inside" team now uses. I mean the beta version which is far far better from the public version. The wide membership still have the original public version at their disposal which development wise is ancient compared to Euroscope as it is now in its final stages of beta testing and it is simply a shame but at the same time all efforts from the development team are appreciated as to why they wish for something complete to come out.

My 2 cents

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Phillip Powell 1062160
Posted
Posted
Honestly, by observing the process as a beta tester I can humbly submit that unless people (including beta testers) stop asking Gergely for more and more improvements

Sorry Kyprianos, that is probably a long way off. Take my case. I spotted a problem I had with Euroscope. Not, you'll note, a problem with Euroscope, just something I thought might make things easier for me, and maybe a few others.

Among the replies I received was a comment to the effect that I would have to live with it for now as there was no chance of getting it in the next release.

Getting it in the next release was never my intention. I merely came across the problem and posted it as a wish, so that it might one day be incorporated.

I agree with Alexander, I'm getting fed up with people saying it's in the beta, and seeing beta screen shots.

I understand that Gergely has to find time to actually do the changes, and that he has other calls on his time.

My only suggestion would be that now is the time to say enough. This is what goes in the next release, and anyone who asks for more will just have to accept that it will eventually find it's way in to a subsequent release.

Christmas is fine for me Gergely, and thanks for all the work you've done, and are doing on Euroscope.

Kind regards

Phill

EGGP_TWR 126.350

generate.php?mid=1062160

Old PID 849479

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted
Honestly, by observing the process as a beta tester I can humbly submit that unless people (including beta testers) stop asking Gergely for more and more improvements on the advanced features of it, I'm afraid new Euroscope will take ages to come to public. What beta testers and Gergely's team tend to put in a lesser priority is that the wide membership do not have at their disposal this perfect software which the "inside" team now uses.
Sorry Kyp, but I have to object to that. This is not correct. We are well aware of the problem of the release time, and the bug/feature list has been closed for about half a year now. The release is the top priority, and will even stay top priority after the release. We already have preorganized the general route up to v3.3, so requests will be filtered much closer than they were in the past, and we will hopefully be able to reduce the release times significantly.

But all that does not help, if Gergely needs to do some real work, or if there are bugs that are that severe, so they can not be released to the public. So all complains aside, it is simply not possible to proceed faster, than it is already done.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hey, hi all

Look I'm still on version 3, the full version3 release and I am as happy as larry, ( a turn of phrase) not larry james.

Anyway, I have to admit that for me I cant see what other improvements iw ould need, I always said that Gergelys euroscope was sublime and it still is. When the new version comes out it will come out and I will be even happier. You guys take your time, I'm not looking for the black betat version as someone called it, I'm happy to wait.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks