You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Strange Error- Not Enough Memory

Arjun Murthy 1051343

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I got a strange error. IT says that it is related to me not having enough memory to Run Flight Simulator. Apart from not being able to fly on FS, i had to shut off my long haul flight where i had elapsed 5 of the 7.5 hours

Computer Stats:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 Ghz

2.00 GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX/9800

GTX+

Windows XP Professional Service

Pack 3

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Attached is the picture of what happened.

weirderror.jpg

Many Thanks

Arjun

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

That's actually a fairly common issue with FSX. Read the AVSIM.com & FLIGHTSIM.com forums and check for the stickied topics relating to FSX performance.

Also you can check out some of the free services from this site: http://www.highflightsimulations.com/index.html

And try some of these tips as well: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Carlos Palo 969743
Posted
Posted

With 2GB RAM you expect OOMs with FSX. I would also advise to take a look a the links posted by Paul.

Carlos Palo

FSX on C2D E8400 [email protected], Asus P5Q Pro, OCZ 2*2048MB (1066Mhz), XFX HD4870 1GB, Antec 300, Scythe Mugen 2, Samsung 24" 1920*1200

my FSX Videos

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted

I have 4 Gigs and still get OOMs, mostly down to poorly coced software.

siggy.png

Carlos Palo 969743
Posted
Posted

Do you have a 32 bit(X86) or 64 bit(X64) OS? A 32 bit system can't adress more than 3 Gigs.

Carlos Palo

FSX on C2D E8400 [email protected], Asus P5Q Pro, OCZ 2*2048MB (1066Mhz), XFX HD4870 1GB, Antec 300, Scythe Mugen 2, Samsung 24" 1920*1200

my FSX Videos

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

I ran FSX on 2 GB of ram for a couple of years, and with the tweaks listed in the places I linked to, it usually ran pretty well. I recently upgraded to 4 GB of ram with a new video card (9800GT) and I'm getting even better performance. But even so, I still get the occasional OOM error. Just a fact of life using FSX.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Carlos Palo 969743
Posted
Posted

I never experienced any OOM crashes with FSX ('knocks on wood') and hope it will stay that way.

By I must agree with Oliver that some addons are poorly coded and no top of the line PC can help with that.

Carlos Palo

my FSX Videos

Oliver Smith
Posted
Posted

Do you have a 32 bit(X86) or 64 bit(X64) OS? A 32 bit system can't adress more than 3 Gigs.

W7 Ultimate 64Bit. I've found keeping multitasking down helps, things like watching a film, using memory intesive programs like 3DSMax or Photoshop don't help.

siggy.png

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Wasn't expecting such quick replies in the "computer Hardware Help" Forums.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Its the first time its happened to me in the 1 year i've been running FSX which is probably why.

I'll just tune down the amount of work i do on my computer.

I have XP SP3 32 bit.

Thanks

Arjun

Michael Ellen 1095800
Posted
Posted

What a relief to see it's not just me. Last couple of times I have done long hauls, YMML-RJAA and RJAA-YPPH it's happened to me. I've been looking for that tweak website, thanks heaps hope it helps

..CPL/Instructor Rating/NVFR/Aerobatics/Tailwheel/C152/C172/DHC1/M20J..

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Make sure you don't have any programs in the background eating up space... I caught one program the other day that was having a field day with the ram while I was playing Apparently it never occurred to the authors of such program to actually write to the disk once in a while...